Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think goods gained from sieges, such as narrow clothing, are too valuable and break the trade system?

Yes, too much value is gained from spoils of war.  There should be more emphasis on crafting your own goods.
- 123 (65.4%)
Yes, but it's unbalanced on purpose so that you can worry about more important things if you choose.  It's a design decision.
- 37 (19.7%)
No, the trade system feels balanced just fine as it is.
- 24 (12.8%)
No, in fact they aren't valuable enough, and I feel like I should earn more for fending off intruders!
- 4 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Voting closed: December 08, 2009, 10:03:30 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wealth from war: Is it unbalanced?  (Read 5310 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Wealth from war: Is it unbalanced?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 09:54:25 am »

Meh. I just have my dwarves emulate the Rhodians and dedicate all profits from siege loot to building giant monuments to their deities. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

In 304 BC a relief force of ships sent by Ptolemy arrived, and Demetrius's army abandoned the siege, leaving most of their siege equipment. To celebrate their victory, the Rhodians sold the equipment left behind for 300 talents (roughly US$360 million in today's money) and decided to use the money to build a colossal statue of their patron god, Helios

Much of the iron and bronze was reforged from the various weapons Demetrius's army left behind, and the abandoned second siege tower was used for scaffolding around the lower levels during construction.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 10:25:07 am »

"Sibrek Sazirsturluk has been unhappy lately. He has been forced to strip clothings from a corpse."

EDIT: Also, I love the idea of soldiers looting valuable items for themselves.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 11:04:17 am »

Maybe the leather could simply be assigned whatever was most dominant during the processing, causing 3 Mountain Goat and 7 Giant Toad items to make a Giant Toad piece. If no dominant is present, like 2-4-4, it randomly picks from the highest.
Or all reprocessed leather goes into a generic "Mixed Leather" material, so poorer dwarves could wear a "Mixed Leather coat" or similar.

+1 for soldiers looting for themselves - much more accurate.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 12:02:35 pm »

Clothing reprocessing is something I've been wanting, as well. If not made into entirely new clothing, then at least used to patch up existing, heavily-worn clothing. If I could have shops set to buy worn clothing off the haulers and sell it back fixed, all set to do it automatically, that'd be brilliant.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 04:02:40 pm »

I don't even like the choices for this poll... None of them reflect my answer or Skorpions

Sorry, what option would you have liked to see?  I can't add it in, but by all means don't let that discourage you from sharing your opinion.  It was meant as a brainstorming thread, so my apologies if the voting options were too limited.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 04:26:18 pm »

I don't even like the choices for this poll... None of them reflect my answer or Skorpions

Sorry, what option would you have liked to see?  I can't add it in, but by all means don't let that discourage you from sharing your opinion.  It was meant as a brainstorming thread, so my apologies if the voting options were too limited.

I think it's odd you joined reasoning and direction in a single answer.  It makes things too complicated.  A single scale would have been better, and damn the fixes

A: WAY too much value
B: Too much value
C: About the right value
D: Too little value
E: WAY too little value

My .02c

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 04:37:42 pm »

Yeah Granite pretty much said it.

While I thing that the value is way too much, I don't for a second believe it is becuase I think there should be a focus on crafting.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 04:50:53 pm »

I think the problem is that there's no scaling factor based on how many of an object you have, just like room rental prices.

If every room in your fortress has a iron chest inside of it rather then a wooden chest, then really how much more unique is that where the room price would sky-rocket? The same thing should happen after a seige dumps on you some hundred pairs of cave spider silk shoes and socks. The traders come, see that you're swimming in (cave spider silk footwear) which you didn't craft yourself, and say "well, you have alot of this stuff and the price you're asking for is bs, so we'll pay you less for it because you have so damn much"

So that way if a goblin ambush happens and gives you 7 sets of giant cave spider silk clothing, the traders wouldn't devalue it because you have so little; but if a seige happened and did the same but with 30+ sets, then they'd devalue it heavilly, not only because it's GCS silk but also because it wasn't made by your dwarves. (unless you recovered the silk, and had your dwarves craft it into something else, in which case they'd only devalue based on it being GCS silk)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 05:13:57 pm »

Right.  Market saturation plays no part in the 'value' of things, just their 'price' within the fortress.  Perhaps if the actual value of things were determined in the same way as price...?
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 05:58:49 pm »

I think the problem is that there's no scaling factor based on how many of an object you have, just like room rental prices.

If every room in your fortress has a iron chest inside of it rather then a wooden chest, then really how much more unique is that where the room price would sky-rocket? The same thing should happen after a seige dumps on you some hundred pairs of cave spider silk shoes and socks. The traders come, see that you're swimming in (cave spider silk footwear) which you didn't craft yourself, and say "well, you have alot of this stuff and the price you're asking for is bs, so we'll pay you less for it because you have so damn much"

So that way if a goblin ambush happens and gives you 7 sets of giant cave spider silk clothing, the traders wouldn't devalue it because you have so little; but if a seige happened and did the same but with 30+ sets, then they'd devalue it heavilly, not only because it's GCS silk but also because it wasn't made by your dwarves. (unless you recovered the silk, and had your dwarves craft it into something else, in which case they'd only devalue based on it being GCS silk)

I can see them caring about the quantity of the goods supplied, but why should they care about the origin, or whether your dwarves made it? A bar of gold is a bar of gold, whether it was smelted in the forges or taken from the dying hands of a passing traveler.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 07:10:08 pm »

He's talking about market saturation.  If these traders just bought three bins with stone crafts, and you offer them more stone crafts... realistically they should not be very enthusiastic.  How many stone crafts do they need anyways?
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »

He's talking about market saturation.  If these traders just bought three bins with stone crafts, and you offer them more stone crafts... realistically they should not be very enthusiastic.  How many stone crafts do they need anyways?

If you read carefully, the post encompasses a bit more than that.

then they'd devalue it heavilly, not only because it's GCS silk but also because it wasn't made by your dwarves.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 08:28:34 pm »

I'd prefer trader-value to be determined by external forces, such as what they actually WANT, and what they can or can't use.

Or at least have a USE for all this crap. I want to be able to dump it in a gigantic automated washer with a load of soap, and then have it come out nice and clean, and ready for use as rags or bandages or clothing patches.

Hell, you'd just need a big pit of water with a mechanical agitator in it, or just to pump water over a pile of clothes and bars of soap.

The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 10:25:31 pm »

Can I get an option E, ?

yes but only because goblins are too easy to kill.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 01:44:13 am »

1. Cloth/leather reprocessing, yes. Rather than combining multiple items like melting, this could just be probabalistic; a legendary clothier is X% likely to get usable cloth or thread out of a sock, while a dabbling one will likely be closer to 0% (and take longer to do so).

2. Invaders arriving with clothing showing wear. The kobolds and goblin invaders should be dressed in tatters.  Decrease the wear value multipliers to simply make them worth less.

3. 'Destroy' designation for items (not constructions or buildings). Counts as a Cleaning job. Dwarf goes up to designated item, rips it apart, it's gone. Can also apply to stone--requires Mining+pickaxe.  Destroyed furniture leaves behind a mess that needs to be cleaned up (like broken bolts do) or maybe raw material?  I want to break down those cloth bins for the wood to make a bed, darnit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6