Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what about a printable handbook about the UI?  (Read 1095 times)

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what about a printable handbook about the UI?
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

Hello everybody, it's a fresh new user of this forum who write this topic. I ask excuse in advance since I only gave a quick look at all the topic about suggestions to improve the user interface and plans of the developers for future improvements.
Anyway it seems to me that my suggestion could be a new one, so I take the freedome to... suggest you (I should definitely improve my english vocabulary :P):

What about a quick reference of the commands? Something, a pdf would be the best I suppose, a newby could print and easily handle phisically.

I am quite an experienced videogame player, a lover of indie games and a big retrogame player, so I've loved and still love games with a not-so-usable-and-long-to-master-interface (could we talk about NSUALTMI games? It seems like a fascinating word, "n'sualt mi"). I'm not a big expert of ascii games, but I've played for years at ADOM, and I loved that game. But it took me a lot of time to really enjoy it, playing with it as naturally as I play with a WASD+mouse first person shooter so that I could be really immersed in the atmosphere of the game.

But I've tried quite a lot of times to play Dwarf Fortress and everytime I missed the chance to addict myself to this game, because I didn't want to sweat thrice (at least) as much as I did for ADOM.

I'm very sorry that I'm not an experienced DF player who opens a topic like "hey, do you like this handbook I made?", but I would really like to explore the world that the Adams brother created, and I would like to be helped somehow, and I really think that such a handbook would be a good way to help the players and....
ok, I quit this writingandwriting and pass to some...

...practical idea:

code:
I would love to have an A4,
eventually printed on both sides,
divided in blocks, sections,
with.... every or most of or the most important
command of the game.

What do you think about this?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: what about a printable handbook about the UI?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

Commands like all those that are conveniently listed on the screen, and in the Help (?-command)?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.