Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looting by Combatants (Or, "I Call his Boots")  (Read 2423 times)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looting by Combatants (Or, "I Call his Boots")
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:39 pm »

How about if each kill gives the victor an opportunity to take a trophy from the victim?  When the loot drops from a slain orc/wolf/whatever, the dwarf that plugged it can call dibs on something, be it a weapon, item of clothing or skull.  When the battlefield is being cleared, nobody will take the called item, as if it were marked for a task, and at some point, when they aren't on duty, the dwarf will come back, pick it up, and either drop it off in their room, stash it in the barracks or equip the trophy.  When they die, their stash of lewt gets deposited in their coffin or burial chamber as part of the interment.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Looting by Combatants (Or, "I Call his Boots")
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »

Or they could even grab the item in the middle of the battle, Iliad-style.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:49:13 pm »

I like the phrase 'Iliad=style.' It seems like it should have limitless applications.

Dwarfs should be subject to looting too. If your squad of dwarfs that gets left outside the gates gets wiped out, the goblins should bicker over the spoils and strip them naked. Possibly even getting into minor fights over who gets what.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04:54 pm »

Yeah, if anything, the goblins would be MORE eager to strip the bodies, since after all they're attacking the fortress in search of loot.  Well, and captives, I guess.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »

After a battle groups of survivors and civilians would descend on the battle field and strip all corpses and near corpses of their valuables.
Sounds good.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:37:54 pm »

If it were truly Iliad style, right before your dwarf squad leader killed an enemy goblin mook, the game would pause and you'd be forced to read through that specific goblin's entire life story. And then your dwarf would kill him. And then say something incredibly bombastic.

But yeah, the Iliad was the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:40 pm »

Clearly we must add the Kobold Victory Table to the game! (shamelessly ripped from DnD)

When a Kobold kills a Dwarf, generate a random number between 1 and 20;

1 - 10. No effect.
The kobold lacks the imagination to do anything interesting. It might chitter or giggle, but it really doesn't know what to do when it defeats something.

11. Kill things, take their stuff!
The kobold picks an item off the fallen dwarf as its trophy. It dances in celebration for awhile before running off.

12. Ask not what you can do for the tribe!
The kobold spends a short time standing on the fallen dwarf's body, delivering a victory speech. All kobolds heal wounds by 1 'step'.

13. I attribute my success solely to luck!
The kobold immediately hides in its victim's backpack or under his unconscious/dead form.

14. Whoah. That's never happened before!
The kobold is stunned for a time, shocked by its own success.

15. Come Get Some!
The kobold taunts the nearest Dwarf before charging to attack.

16. Victory!
The kobold lets out an inspiring whoop that grants all kobolds a bonus to attacks for the rest of the fight.

17. You're Next!
The kobold chargest the nearest Dwarf with an extra-powerful attack.

18. This will only anger them!
The kobold drops its weapon and runs away.

19. I'm only getting started!
The Kobold heals all wounds and negates all status effects.

20. FEAR ME!
The Kobold gains a significant permanent increase on attacks and defences.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:58:12 pm by Neruz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:19:27 pm »

If it were truly Iliad style, right before your dwarf squad leader killed an enemy goblin mook, the game would pause and you'd be forced to read through that specific goblin's entire life story. And then your dwarf would kill him. And then say something incredibly bombastic.

Haha.  I can totally see that happening in DF, too, especially with all the random-sounding names that get dropped out of nowhere in those mini-biographies.

Incidentally, I also thought of the Iliad when I first tried Adv. Mode, what with the obsessive attention to the anatomical details of combat.  I should probably read through it again with an eye for ideas that would work well in DF.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 12:05:19 am »

Iliad, eh?  Great, now I'll have to gen a world, start a fort, build a whole set of elite bronze armor and weapons, abandon the fort, start an adventurer named Diomed, Son of Tydeus, find the abandoned fort, gear up...
I brake for stumble bumblings

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 12:08:46 am »

Diomedes had to have been my favourite character in the Iliad. Seriously.

Haha.  I can totally see that happening in DF, too, especially with all the random-sounding names that get dropped out of nowhere in those mini-biographies.

Incidentally, I also thought of the Iliad when I first tried Adv. Mode, what with the obsessive attention to the anatomical details of combat.  I should probably read through it again with an eye for ideas that would work well in DF.

I'm really looking forward to the Combat arc, just so I can do things like that in Adventure mode.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »

if after the battle thay just get owner ship of item.
that or with the right Ethics make trophy from there body
i.e. skull mugs,amulets,idols,scepters,crowns
bone idols, rings, earrings, amulets, bracelets, scepters, crowns
ear amulets

so we get
skull amulet
this is a skull amulet it was made from the skull of X on Y by (there killer)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:03 am »

Yeah, if anything, the goblins would be MORE eager to strip the bodies, since after all they're attacking the fortress in search of loot.  Well, and captives, I guess.

It would be even cooler if they could figure out that attacking the fortress proper is suicide and just leave after looting the dead fisherdwarf. This way they might actually make a profit from their attacks.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 10:54:25 pm »

I actually did this in one of my forts. One of my hammerdwarves killed an orc hammerlord who happened to be wielding a masterwork celestial steel warhammer (yes, my eyes popped out of my skull), so I shamelessly made him switch from the base quality iron he was using to masterwork celestial steel.

He's now my champion orcputter, he's shattered one into all it's limbs after a 30 square flight, and easy lobbed some for incredible, if slow, hangtime.

While it would be cool to see dwarves claim, say, their opponents gear, according to the civ file they find making trophies out of other sapient races appalling. So I could see a dwarf, say, claiming a higher quality warhammer after killing a goblin hammerlord, but I don't really see them hacking off goblin heads and decorating them as trophies. NPC races already do this, named NPC's who's civ allows making trophies often show up with bone and leather jewelry from their kills.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 07:34:12 am »

I think trophies were shunned, not actually punished

If regular dwarves will ever be able to make requests, trophies should be handled by that. Seeing as dwarves shun body parts being used for such, appropriate personality should be required for the dwarf to ask for skull trophies instead of the enemy's helmet. If the dwarf doesn't like anything that can be made out of the head, he will ask for equipment like everyone else. Denying the request should cause a bad thought and requests should be limited to significant enemies, not every captain of a leather clad fodder squad

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:26 am »

[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]

I don't think dwarves would do it except for bizarre dwarves. While the game does need this functionality in fortress mode (as NPC's already do this) for modded player races and the odd dwarf who would enjoy these trophies, most dwarves wouldn't want a goblin head for a trophy. However, dwarves claiming, say, high quality armor and weapons wouldn't surprise me, as dwarves are fascinated by craftsmanship and would consider that arming themselves instead of taking trophies.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2