Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Cat Splosion V1.1 - Haha, everybody hates you now! Also, you start with copper.  (Read 24662 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SUCCESSION GAME HAS STARTED. Sign up now!

This is a Dwarf Fortress mod. All craftscatship is of the highest quality (?). It menaces with spikes of hilarious. On the item is an image of cats in Dwarf Fortress. The cats are being struck down.

It began, as all too many stories do, with a wizard. This was not a particularly good wizard; he was most famous for his dramatic failure to create the long-sought-after three-humped camel. His latest crazed idea, though, promised to be better: An attempt to grant animals with sentience.
His experiments showed promise at first - his monkey mathematicians, or cheap knockoffs thereof, were prominently featured in a number of traveling shows. But when he finally thought he'd perfected his spell, the cat he tried it on displayed no sign of increased intelligence whatsoever.
Of course, that was because it worked rather well. Realizing in its first moments of sentience that this madman would likely never let him have a peaceful moment again, the cat feigned to be unchanged - and took the first available opportunity to run for the hills. He spent the next few weeks with every female cat in a two-mile radius. And thus, a race was born.

I figured this needed to be done.
I have added cats as a playable race in fortress and adventure mode.
Download link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1478
UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINK: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1832
I'll leave the 1.03 link up for anyone who's playing the succession game, if it still exists.

Noteworthy features:
- As they are size 3, cats tend to die rather easily. That, and the 10-20 year lifespans, should make for some Fun and unavoidable tantruming. But since they grow up in only one year, they replace fast. Splode away!
- Cats cannot use the default weapons as they are too large, so I added in some relatively weak ones. Daggers for sword skill, tiny clubs for mace skill, mallets for hammer, hatchets for axe (they do about half as much damage as the other weapons; don't use them for soldiers), small spikes for spear, trowels for digging, and I modded blowguns to shoot with the crossbow skill. I also made new types of armor for them, since I didn't think it was quite right that a size 3 cat takes as much metal for armor as a size 7 human or size 6 stout dwarf. Also, cat armor offers less protection.
- Cats are carnivores. As such, they do not have planters, herbalists, brewers, millers, threshers, weavers, dyers, or clothiers. They can do everything else though. Only smaller.
- Includes a custom cat language made with the DF Word Generator by Mephansteras. The Perl script.
- Also included are the worldgen parameters for a world in otherwise unmodded .40d. For a good time, check in Legends mode and look for "The Scalded War." The first battle is 1.5 thousand cats taking an elven retreat without resistance, but oddly the rest of the war is a couple dozen instances of cats attacking the dwarves and, despite outnumbering them 30 to 1, losing every time. The war is STILL continuing, so if you play in Fortress mode as the cat civilization The Wrack of Whirling and embark near the middle right of the map, you can start at war with the dwarves, who will most likely kick your sorry fuzzy behinds so hard. It'll be Funny.

Cat Splosion "Strategy Guide"

Fortress Mode
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adventure Mode

Legends

So, let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions since I'm a n00b modder. I probably won't take any professions off the list, with the possible exception of Milker and Cheesemaker if I'm convinced - Cats can't eat uncooked cheese, but milk and cheese are animal products, so why not.

Also, note that cats cannot use siege weapons.

UPDATE: Version 1.1

Cats can now be weavers and siege engineers/operators - note, though, that you still can't build ballista arrows. Cats are now MINOR_METAL, meaning you start with copper instead of iron or steel. Also, I allowed copper, bronze, and bismuth bronze for making anvils. As a side effect, even dwarves start with a copper anvil by default, so you can't trade it in for the full 1k points anymore - but that was cheatery anyway, so there.  :P.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:21:07 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Splosion V1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:24:31 pm »

Wow.  If I were to make a community story using as many mods as possible, this would be one of them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:30:47 pm »

I'm thinking of doing a succession fort with this. In a freezing location, starting at war with the dwarves. Magma pool, HFS, gabbro, black sand. Lots of Fun.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:32:37 am »

Man, This is genious.  I mean catsplosion means you could in theory sustain a large HUGE military yea? Only downside is your foods gone ALOT quicker but whatever :P

Good job from the description, Havent downloaded yet though.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:54:11 am »

If you don't make the succession fort, can i?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 01:39:06 am »

I've played it, and so far no-one has done anything. there to damn injured.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 04:16:01 am »

This stuff sounds wicked!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 04:33:59 am »

Also known as Zuhayr.

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 04:43:06 am »

Ok, here's a dumb question: do they still have [VERMINHUNTER]?
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 12:04:14 pm »

Oh gods, this is genius. Beaut description of the mod, too.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »

Ok, here's a dumb question: do they still have [VERMINHUNTER]?

No they do not, since according to the wiki they would ONLY be able to eat vermin. That's kinda not what I'm looking for, especially since you can't trade for vermin and it is possible to dramatically reduce vermin populations - starvation would be inevitable.

I've played it, and so far no-one has done anything. there to damn injured.

Crap, I forgot to put the body_default file in the zip. Reuploading now, thanks.

Man, This is genious.  I mean catsplosion means you could in theory sustain a large HUGE military yea? Only downside is your foods gone ALOT quicker but whatever

That's the Fun! Managing a large population means you have to deal with limited food resources, and if you don't you'll just starve down to a sustainable population! Or, even better, down to LESS than a manageable population, causing an oscillation of sorts.
It's even better if you're running low and cordon off a section of the population with all the food letting the others all starve to death until the caravan comes, or they can fish/hunt some up.

I haven't played it long enough to observe catsploding yet, but it should work quite well - I think all you need for that is lack of [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] in the creature file. Even if you don't get triplets and such, though, there's the fact that a child becomes an adult after only one year.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 01:41:45 pm »

Hm...weird, the game seems to hang for a long time at year 97 of worldgen for me. I wonder why. It does eventually finish worldgen, but that one year takes more than the rest of history combined. This is on a world with these worldgen parameters:
Can anyone else replicate this?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 02:12:43 pm »

Lemme guess. Large map.

The two times I tried to gen a large map, it hung up at around those times (75 or so for me, generally). Medium I've never had a problem with.

Check that year in legends, maybe? Could be that a CRAPTON of battles happened at the same time. Or just one with a hundred thousand cats? I dunno.

Do you know the seeds you used? I generated a map with those parameters (Cull historical figures? whyyyy?) but didn't notice anything interesting at 73 and 98, the years it hung up.

I just genned a large map. Stuck at 73, 98, and 123. Like clockwork. I gotta say, I have no clue, but it's probably just to just stay away from large maps for now.

And I just realized that the parameters you gave are not Large. Maybe it's the # of civs? I'll check a pocket map with 20 and with 30 civs.

Yeah, I don't know what causes this. Large maps and the parameters you gave seem to always cause it even with fewer civs. Others tend to never have this happen even with lots of civs. Weird.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:43:57 pm by Frogwarrior »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:54:38 pm »

I'm not having any luck getting the cats to not be too injured to do anything. I copied all the files into their appropriate locations and deleted data/objects, but I still get the error.

Interestingly, I also crash DF with a floating point exception if I try to tell the cats to use two hands for their weapons.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:17:20 pm »

Can cats adopt pets? I never had a meat industry before, I guess when I get around to playing this mod I'll need one!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9