Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Cat Splosion V1.1 - Haha, everybody hates you now! Also, you start with copper.  (Read 24678 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Splosion V1.03 - Now with trap components, toys, and instruments!
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2009, 04:35:40 am »

Also, I just discovered: With tags as they are, there's at least a nontrivial chance that your civ leader will be a military cat. This means that when you get a King, instead of being a noble, he/she will be a military cat. Meaning that you can control your civ leader, give them the best adamantine armor/weaps you have, and send them into battle. This also means that, as non-nobles, they have no room requirements. However, since they start less than legendary (mine came in as only Competent... and in axe at that :( ) you will not be able to assign rooms to them, and they will be subject to the feline economy until they spar up to Legendary.
First thing I'm doing, I'm giving this guy adamantine armor and taking him off-duty until I can actually put him in the badass rooms I made for him before I knew I didn't need them...

This is awesome
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:42 pm »

Cats pretty much don't have any weapons and armor in common with standard races. Trowel instead of pick, dagger instead of sword, mallet for hammer, tiny club replaces mace, small spike replaces spear, blowguns instead of crossbows, hatchet instead of axe. And smaller versions of the trap components. And no siege equipment, although if you get a Siege Engineer and Operator to immigrate, or a Mechanic, you can build and use catapults since you can't enable/disable labors you're technically not supposed to have.

And I haven't yet figured out how to get cats to... "interact" more in worldgen. Still working on that for 1.1. I'm thinking about making cats babysnatcher, but I'll have to do research to figure out exactly how that plays out.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2009, 12:49:32 pm »

Yeah, I have see that in the legend, the Cats only do big empire and let's the goblin wipe out anything they want :D

I have see that, just because I have overlook too fast, I am not a native English, and I don't even know the definition of a trowel. Actually I don't even know what mean the translation in French, damn France and their local language -_-

Will report you anything I have found that doesn't work ^^ Like Cats and cat having baby between them :)
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2009, 01:08:05 pm »

A trowel is a small hand shovel. Often used for gardening. Generally, trowels are not used for digging through solid rock, but whatever. :P

On an unrelated note, cats sploding is rather fun. In the current fort I'm running, the current Mayor has... no less than 11 kids. Three sets of triplets and one of twins.
And since cats mature after only 1 year, all but 3 of them have grown up already... I put them all in the military, in the same squad. Every child from that family, when he comes of age, will be given a set of steel armor and a steel dagger and sent to fight.
Actually, I'm thinking that large family is the main reason she got elected Mayor. Nobody has nearly that many friends.
Also, her husband is a legendary wrestler, but he lost his tail in the last goblin siege. He hasn't gotten out of bed since then. I wonder if he ever will.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:21:11 pm by Frogwarrior »
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

...but he lost his tail in the last goblin siege. He hasn't gotten out of bed since then. I wonder if he ever will.

The shame is just too much for him to bear.
Also known as Zuhayr.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2009, 12:13:00 am »

If the initial cats were all born from the same one sentient cat, then wouldn't the race be based on an orgy of incest?
Well, the wizard could have tried it on multiple cats for testing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2009, 12:46:14 am »

Thank for the info, In French, they say is a tool of mason...

Fun or not, I'm learning how to use hunting and fishing stuff  ;D Only 3 seasons later, 3 Cats died, 2 from hunting and the third because he was so miserable that he jump off a 1z lvl cliff couple of hundred time. The 4 survivals eat fish, drink water, work hard to get the def before orc arrive :p

Just for a confirmation, the blowgun could be done at the forge, don't have the tie to construct one  :-\
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2009, 02:05:47 am »

Trowels are also used by masons to apply mortar, yes. I'm more familiar with the gardening use, though. It's small, it's used for digging... until I think of a better name, trowel it is.
I generally make my blowguns out of metal because I have the habit of always starting with someone Proficient in both armorsmithing and weaponsmithing. However, in my current fort I just got a legendary bowyer, sooo... wood and bone it is ;D And the guy likes blowguns, so it's a no-brainer.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2009, 02:43:55 pm »

Now the question, a bug of DD or me ^^

Can't do any blowgun at the bowyer. Do you know where is the file for that, probably Dig Deeper that have screw up something. 

PS: Don't have find anything, don't know why, anyways, not a big deal.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:12:17 pm by sir labreck »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2009, 04:04:56 pm »

Trowels are also used by masons to apply mortar, yes. I'm more familiar with the gardening use, though. It's small, it's used for digging... until I think of a better name, trowel it is.

Chisel? Also, there should definitely be toy balls.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2009, 06:45:01 pm »

I never thought of a chisel as used for digging so much as carving. Could work though.

I also never had a problem with making blowguns in the bowyers. Does dig deeper change blowguns in any way? I didn't.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2009, 01:03:52 am »

Hum, don't know, the DD blowgun and the vanilla blowgun is the same, in the item_weapon.txt, no way to do one in the forge also. Will see when I'll regenerate the world. I have get two of them in the file when I generate, maybe the problem is here.

So far, a really great challenge ^^ No farming, and the orc are near...

PS: Bah :p I think the first wave of immigration make it crash, I'll generate a another world.

Thing work fine, blowgun available now ^^
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:22:15 pm by sir labreck »

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2009, 02:00:16 am »

So, I'm currently working on Cat Splosion v1.1, running a low-tech (i.e. wood and leather only/mostly) fort. Lots of fun. Just hit the 3-year mark, and since I finished the milestones I was currently working on (the first floor of housing and crenelations) I figured I'd upload to DFMA.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7424-feralrampages
Enjoy, or not, at your leisure.
Incidentally, the fort name "Feralrampages" was the randomly generated name. So awesome.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2009, 07:51:01 pm »

This mod is great.  It's the first Fortress-race-changing mod I've used so far, and I've had a lot of fun with it.  I've been sticking with aboveground wooden forts for now, since it seems fitting and it also makes things a bit more crazy.

Oddly enough, an entire pack of wolves moved into the middle of town and started hanging out.  They did not attempt to attack my cats, just ran away whenever a cat got too close to them.  Who knows.  Maybe it's because most of my cats like dogs. 
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:23 pm »

I've been noticing wolves doing the same. Do they normally act differently with dwarves? I've never seen wolves in a dwarf game.

However, I did notice something really weird. I swear, I have not touched the stone raws. I found a large cluster of bauxite in a layer of granite. No sedimentary rock at all in the whole map, and I got bauxite. Weird.

Also, when the dwarves attack, they will use horses. From the second siege onward, they will ALL ride. Unfortunately, the horses will RUN AWAY from your cats, rendering them laughably ineffective unless they're ranged or you pull them from their mounts. Does anyone know how to fix this without breaking something else? I imagine [LOVES_FIGHTING] might not make them run, but it would make wild horses attack you too...
I suppose I could remove the [MOUNT] tag from horses. That would probably work best. And elves could still use unicorns, so they could still make full use of Parthian tactics.

Also, I just had the most fun I've ever had in DF. I got attacked by a three-squad dwarf siege. Sadly, two squads have crossbows, but the other has speardwarves. So, I savescummed to test out various tactics against that one melee squad. I activated my entire population into the military (over 80 cats) and surrounded them (so they wouldn't be able to run away. Silly horses.). I had them all charge in at once, and sat back and watched the carnage. Only five casualties, and I got them all!

And now I'm going to do the exact same thing, on one of the ranged squads. And then I'm going to sit back and watch the fort burn. Mmm.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:47:21 pm by Frogwarrior »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9