Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Cat Splosion V1.1 - Haha, everybody hates you now! Also, you start with copper.  (Read 24649 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Splosion V1.0
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 05:20:55 pm »

Did you get the 1.01 fix? I accidentally forgot to include the body_default.txt file in the original download. It adds graspmouth.

It also has a fix in item_pants, I forgot to change the MATERIAL_SIZE for the tiny leggings and greaves.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »

Can cats eat meat from dead invaders? Or it is hardcoded for elves in worldgen only?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »

Cats can adopt pets, I think there's no way to avoid that really. And yes, a meat industry is REALLY IMPORTANT. I suggest embarking with a good mix of small and large animals. Horses, muskoxes, and cows are probably a better choice than camels since they give almost as much upon butchering, and horses are the best because they're the cheapest of the three. Cats are cheaper than dogs, but dogs can be trained for war if you're a freaking dog-lover.

Cats do eat from dead enemies (invaders OR defenders), but I honestly don't know if that means anything outside of worldgen. Generally, cats and elves will get in wars in worldgen, and cats will totally destroy the elves. And eat them. Which is awesome.
It's not hardcoded at all; any entity with [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE] will do so. Goblins do this sometimes too since they have [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:PERSONAL_MATTER].

Also, now may be a good time to mention that as of 1.01, cats do not use siege weapons. It seemed to make sense. I may be convinceable to let them use catapults, but only maybe.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:40:58 pm by Frogwarrior »
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 05:52:18 pm »

A suggestion: Could you make cats have a pretty high default speed? It doesn't seem very likely that cats would have trouble navigating in their own hallways. Causing larger beings to have trouble, sure, but they should be nimble enough to avoid congestion.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »

If a community fortress is started, count me in!

The elves have never been laid lower.

For default speed, perhaps you could set them around that of the elves, 700 or so. Cats are, after all, small and agile hunters.

EDIT: they already have 700 speed it seems. NVM.

Also, the word for "cat" in the cat language is "mrofwla". Just thought I'd point out that flavorful piece of information.

For flavor, I would also suggest removing "Miniforges" from cat toys under the entity, because they seem to be a dwarf-flavored toy.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:53:45 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:26 pm »

Removing miniforges makes sense. I am very open and would in fact be grateful for any and all such flavorful suggestions. Toys and instruments to take out or add in? (I'm thinking of a toy mouse, for certain.) Clothes to add or remove? Basically, I threw in everything because it would have been too complicated to figure it out from scratch, the only difference is cats have to make their own from leather (they will happily start with rode reed, though, oddly enough.)

Also: I'm currently exploring the site I have marked for the succession fort. HFS, magma pipe, brook, 4 tiles of underground river, 5 tiles of chasm, flux, gabbro, granite, sand. And 6 pages of chasm creatures.
Where by "exploring" I mean "I embarked there, recruited everybody, and sent them at the chasm creatures."
Unsurprisingly, everybody died. Got 11 kills though.
So now I'm reclaiming. I've killed most of the surface chasm creatures, now I'm gonna go for the ones farther down and breach the UG river and magma pipe. Giant eagle didn't even kill anybody. Helped that a lucky blowdart took out its heart and both lungs...
I think 16 have died so far, and a few of the remaining are insane, and the rest are miserable. It's Fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:04:14 pm by Frogwarrior »

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:38 pm »

Cats seem to have very human-like towns by default.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 08:40:12 pm »

Can cats use/make steel? If they can, they shouldn't be able to, steel is restricted to dwarves, not even humans use steel! (Perhaps remove iron aswell, and increase the damage modifier of bronze/bismuth bronze to 75%? When I think cats, I can't think steel or even iron, copper and bronze seem much more likely. This would also mean that cats need to get their anvils from trade).

Also, is there a way to increase the starting amount of cats other than reclaiming? With battles with over 1000 participants not being a rare case, it would seem logical that cats send more than just seven members to start a fort. If not, then I guess the best way to play would be an immediate abandon and reclaim.

In a similar vein, is it possible to edit the behaviour of trade caravans? If so, then it would be cool if cat traders came in numbers from 50 to 100 without wagons or pack animals, first to make them more unique as a race and because megaswarming seems to be the way cats do things.

Other things that would make sense:
Add the personality trait absolutely detests dogs
Remove the possibility of liking cats

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »

Maybe cats would use only loose clothes like robes, cloaks, hats, masks, socks, and boots. The more confining clothing like pants and shirts would just result in something akin to pampered dogs in sailor suits given the body structure of normal cats.

EDIT: Don't forget mittens!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:22:52 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 09:07:43 pm »

Thanks darkflagrance, that makes some sense. I'll put some thought into it, and think about maybe adding some custom types.

Overspec, cats can use/make steel but they don't by default (they don't have [METAL_PREF]). I don't think there's a way to disallow you from smelting steel in Fortress mode without straight-up removing steel from the game.
Remember also that these are sapient cats, a lil' smarter than your average housecat.
So you can play without making steel or iron for flavor if you wish. The way I conceived it, cats can do most things except not get their tails handed to them.

Sadly, I do not think it's possible to edit the behaviour of trade caravans in that way - if there was, it'd be neat, but I doubt it. For know, I think I'll leave as-is. Maybe take out wagons, but probably not.
And only vermin are hateable, and as far as I know there's nothing in an entity / creature entry that can affect animal preferences in the current version.

Razoric, yes they do. There's really not a lot of options. They're higher-tech than elves, so forest retreats wouldn't fit. They're less mountain-based than dwarves, so mountain halls are definitely out. And dark fortress would just be silly. Only leaves towns, really.
That and it means they have shops so you can get non-crappy armor and weaps in Adventure mode, which is a must :P

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 09:13:58 pm »

Actually, a dark fortress might be very appropriate.  Cats are evil, man.

Trust me.  I have two of them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 09:39:54 pm »

Ah hah, got it working. I saw the message in this thread about you fixing it, and then went to download it...but somehow I'd gotten v1 instead of v1.1. I now have a small cat settlement. It's early summer and my hunter has killed 28 hoary marmots and mountain goats...my other cats are having trouble keeping up. I suspect my economy will be based on totems for the time being.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 10:00:50 pm »

Totems generally work quite well. Also, if your hunter uses ranged, he'll go through bolts REALLY fast, so you may want to use the infinite capacity quivers trick.

Also, the cat caravan won't come until winter, so you won't get immigrants until spring. Hope your seven don't starve to death by then! :P
Also, if it's cold or freezing, you'll need a well... Or trade for booze, I guess.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm still working on getting set up. I don't think starvation is going to be an issue; we have well over 100 food for 7 cats. Drdinks might be an issue, but I don't think this is a freezing climate.

And I brought a Proficient bone carver along, who's busily turning the mountain goat bones into more bone bolts. My hunter's gaining markscat skill scarily quickly. But yeah, her early targets were quite literally beaten to death with her blowgun. I was sufficiently inspired to draw it, though I grant I have no great skill as an artist.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »

This is incredibly silly. I like it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9