Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Cat Splosion V1.1 - Haha, everybody hates you now! Also, you start with copper.  (Read 24655 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've built magma forges with this mod.

And melee weapons aren't useless. They're just not too much better than unarmed, damage-wise. You'll need rather high-quality iron or steel for them to do significantly more damage. Still, knives on a strong experienced cat can still sever, spikes/blowdarts can still pierce hearts, etc.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure minor metal doesn't affect magma.

But are you on a map where magma had been discovered that wasn't also reclaimed?

Ah, I see where this is going. Yes, I had to reclaim my fortress since the first time around it got destroyed by dwarves in the first fall. When I reclaimed it, I couldnt build magma forges. Is there any real logical reason for that, or is it just a glitch?

On a side note, after I reclaimed, the dwarves sieged the first fall again. I  fought them off, but the cats who were left all went crazy and died anyway.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And melee weapons aren't useless. They're just not too much better than unarmed, damage-wise. You'll need rather high-quality iron or steel for them to do significantly more damage. Still, knives on a strong experienced cat can still sever, spikes/blowdarts can still pierce hearts, etc.
It's kinda weird, actually... I've got a fort with the older version of this mod that I've changed a bit for my own use, but I didn't mod cats themselves except for removing their MAXAGE tag. I've found that cat wrestlers are actually quite powerful compared to dwarven wrestlers. They just don't seem to get that big of a boost from weapons at all. It's probably due to their 1-6 GORE bite attack, compared to dwarves' piddly 1-2 BLUDGEON fists. Which, incidentally, makes sparring unarmed cats much more likely to get nervous injuries, especially with cats' simpler bodies (fewer parts = higher chance to hit something important).

So, it's less that weapons are useless and more that biting with needle-like fangs is useful  8)

Ah, I see where this is going. Yes, I had to reclaim my fortress since the first time around it got destroyed by dwarves in the first fall. When I reclaimed it, I couldnt build magma forges. Is there any real logical reason for that, or is it just a glitch?
It's a known bug. There's a utility somewhere out there that allows magma buildings to be built to solve just that problem. Probably linked on the community mods list, since it's a fairly useful one.

Supposedly, if you seal off all magma with constructed walls and floors, the bug doesn't rear its ugly head, but I've never tried this.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's kinda weird, actually... I've got a fort with the older version of this mod that I've changed a bit for my own use, but I didn't mod cats themselves except for removing their MAXAGE tag. I've found that cat wrestlers are actually quite powerful compared to dwarven wrestlers. They just don't seem to get that big of a boost from weapons at all. It's probably due to their 1-6 GORE bite attack, compared to dwarves' piddly 1-2 BLUDGEON fists. Which, incidentally, makes sparring unarmed cats much more likely to get nervous injuries, especially with cats' simpler bodies (fewer parts = higher chance to hit something important).

So, it's less that weapons are useless and more that biting with needle-like fangs is useful  8)

Yeah, wrestlers are pretty great with this - nothing like fighting off a siege, checking the stocks menu, and seeing 133 elf chunks.
But... The weapons cats can make also have rather low damage... especially in this mod, I decreased it from the previous. So 1-6 damage is more than anything other than a high-quality good-material weapon will be able to do.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

It's a known bug. There's a utility somewhere out there that allows magma buildings to be built to solve just that problem. Probably linked on the community mods list, since it's a fairly useful one.

Supposedly, if you seal off all magma with constructed walls and floors, the bug doesn't rear its ugly head, but I've never tried this.
[/quote]

"Edit" Quote messed up, oh well, doesnt matter much. -_-

Im not using a location with magma anymore, but I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Also, I noticed something that may be concidered a glitch and I believe was mentioned before. Cats heal nervous injuries. Any other injuries appear to heal pretty quick also. This actually kinda balances out the whole "cats die in one hit" thing anyway....so it wouldnt matter much if it was left in imo.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, what? I've never seen cats heal nervous injuries before... ???

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

Wait, what? I've never seen cats heal nervous injuries before... ???

Yep, cat had a bruised head, now hes perfectly ship shape. Hmm...maybe I modded this mod in wrong.  :-\

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Brain, or head? Because heads will heal even for dwarves. Brains, won't even for cats in my experience.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

Brain, or head? Because heads will heal even for dwarves. Brains, won't even for cats in my experience.

Woops, thats superbowl weekend for ya. Forgot that "head" wasnt nervous system.   :-\

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The beer hits you in the head with its foaming goodness!
It is smashed!
You are feeling hungover.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

The beer hits you in the head with its foaming goodness!
It is smashed!
You are feeling hungover.

:D

Anyway, I did find an actual glitch. Whenever the cat caravan leaves, it says they stole everything in the caravan, but they own it already...so....

This might have to do with their Item Stealer Tag?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's exactly it. Annoying, but oh well - cats being item thieves makes everyone hostile, so it's worth it.

The only annoying thing is it's impossible to trade for silk, so if a mood requires it you're out of luck - to which I say, either use Dwarf Companion or let your dude go insane ^^

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's exactly it. Annoying, but oh well - cats being item thieves makes everyone hostile, so it's worth it.
The "Caravans steal everything" bug is far from just annoying. I just noticed that I have 0 exported wealth, despite the fact that caravans have been coming and going successfully. This means that it's impossible to get the Baron, Hammerer, Tax Collector, and non-adamant King, which... Well, actually, that isn't really too terrible since nobles are annoying, but the lack of economy might trouble some people, and it's almost cheatery, too.

I'm going to try turning [ITEM_THIEF] off on my current fort to see if it solves the behavior after embark. I know that [CAN_SPEAK] does so, but I'm not sure about entity definitions, so that might simply be a bad thing to add.

On a brighter note, it turns out that if you remove [UTTERANCES] from kobolds and give them [CAN_SPEAK], they'll come trade with you every season. They bring leather, meat, silk, some copper weapons, and metal bars, but don't appear to bring animals, plant materials including bins, or anything better than copper for equipment. They're basically like elves, except less useful and annoying, and they show up every season unless you take out one of their [ACTIVE_SEASON] tags (I removed winter, but it remains to be seen if that'll work).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

Less Exported Wealth = Less Migrants = More FPS.  :)

Plus, with the current edition, your more likely to die before nobles would even appear anyway, unless of course you use something like a gigantic bridge and smush stuff.

Also, without Kobolds, whose going to steal all my stuff?  :P

P.S. Im not too sure on this, but the Relentless Assault has everyone against you. Perhaps you could ask the creator of the mod to help with hostility? On the otherhand, I noticed elves didnt use unicorns to siege you in RR, so maybe he completely modded races. Eh.  :-\

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Less Exported Wealth = Less Migrants = More FPS.  :)
True, but that doesn't make it not problematic.

On the bright side, apparently caravans "stealing" your stuff doesn't count for masterwork loss. I was worried that my bonecarver was going to go psycho after I turned ITEM_THIEF back on once I had ~80k exported wealth, but he didn't get any art-related unhappy thoughts.

Plus, with the current edition, your more likely to die before nobles would even appear anyway, unless of course you use something like a gigantic bridge and smush stuff.

Also, without Kobolds, whose going to steal all my stuff?  :P
Meh, it's not that bad. I've been in the habit of building a shooting gallery entrance to my fort that is sealable at both ends since I firstsecond played the Orc mod, and with such a construction a single markscat is usually enough to take down a full squad, and more if I've had enough space and good enough timing for the lever pulls.

Besides, it's not like goblins won't try to steal your many, many children with this mod  ;)

P.S. Im not too sure on this, but the Relentless Assault has everyone against you. Perhaps you could ask the creator of the mod to help with hostility? On the otherhand, I noticed elves didnt use unicorns to siege you in RR, so maybe he completely modded races. Eh.  :-\
I'm pretty sure RA just gave everybody BABYSNATCHER, which also makes people mindlessly hostile. Making everyone else hostile, though, is just a matter of either not giving yourself CAN_SPEAK or giving yourself UTTERANCES, both of which appear to work fine (though limit you to trade only with your own race), but sadly would prevent the use of the cat language file  :-\

Oh, and I feel I should make this explicit: turning off ITEM_THIEF after embark does solve the no-exported-wealth problem, but also made elves, humans, and dwarves come to trade with me. Turning it back on also worked fine.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9