Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasm Descent  (Read 1158 times)

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chasm Descent
« on: October 28, 2006, 11:15:00 am »

I just had an idea where when Dwarf "raiding parties" are implanted you could descend into the chasm to raid it, possibly to loot treasure, kill their "king" that sort of thing.  Also the chasm monsters could be a sort of Civilization just like the goblins and kobolds.
What do you thank?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Chasm Descent
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »

These are Bloat16 and Req232, so it should happen at some point.  The cave dwellers definitely need their own civ definitions (Req232) -- this is why we have batmen blowgunners that don't have blowguns!  They use to be able to shoot darts that were covered with giant cave spider venom, but they lost the items when the equipment functions became linked to civilizations a while ago.  Bloat16 concerns sending out patrols and lone dwarves into the chasm and other map features -- since the future chasm map isn't part of the dwarf map, it would probably be handled in the same way as overland patrols will be handled, in that you can send them out and if you ever need to see their exact location it will pause your game and let you work with them instead.  Using the Z coordinate would help with a lot of other things though (like channels vs. aqueducts and underwater swimming), and I'm thinking about that.  If I'm going to use Z in dwarf mode it needs to be handled in a such a way that there's no additional lag and you don't have to zip around between Z levels when you are trying to play.

[ October 28, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:38:00 pm »

I was going to suggest that an elevator system could be built. That then would attract adventurers who would rent rooms, buy gear, and raise hell in the chasm.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »

I like the idea of the dwarves turning their cave into a tourist trap.

"SEE THE BEAUTIFUL CHASM!  Try your might against the batmen and trolls of the deep!  Impress your friends!  Come back piled with treasure!"

[ October 29, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 08:30:00 am »

You could get around the problem of having to go up and down Z levels by making all the Z levels appear on the same level, just having the highest one be the one that shows up. So a river would have Z height of 0, while the aquaduct would have a Z height of 1, and show up above the river.

Also, if you wanted to show adventurers exploring the cavern, I'd sugguest you make it so that you cannot directly interact with the chasm level. This would make it so the chasm would be something you could watch for entertainment, but not be strictly required. Also, make sure you set it so that there are no pathing jobs that try to go down there, otherwise a lot of haulers are going to find themselves very, very dead.