Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bones in tree  (Read 986 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bones in tree
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:58:29 am »

Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened?

I went out to designate some trees for cutting, using the view from 1 Z-level up to more easily locate them, when I saw some bones apparently floating in the air.  On further inspection, I found that there is a highwood tree 1 z-level below the bones, as pictured.

I haven't done anything with bridges, no dwarfs have tantrumed.  My hunter was using an axe for a small period of time (he's also my wood cutter) but I didn't think that you could send anything flying with that.  I haven't cut wood in that area before.

My first thought was to wonder if the giant eagle on my map might have hauled and dropped the groundhog, or part of it, but I don't recall any such behavior being mentioned before.

Anyway, yeah, bones in a tree; I figured I ought to share that.

That would explain all the 'job item lost or destroyed' messages I keep getting, though, since my dorfs can't path to it...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bones in tree
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:12:12 am »

You may not be able to easily use an axe to send things flying while still intact, but parts can be lopped off and sent flying.  I suspect that's what happened here, since body parts also have bones.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:28:54 am »

You may not be able to easily use an axe to send things flying while still intact, but parts can be lopped off and sent flying.  I suspect that's what happened here, since body parts also have bones.

This. Your hunter lopped off a groundhog leg and it flew up onto the tree.

Anything can potentially cause knockback; speardwarves will occasionally cause knockback, it's just more common with blunt weapons, and lopped off limbs will always fly a short distance (or a really long distance.)

Akett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 04:07:27 am »

I've gotten over two thousand kills as a speardwarf in adventurer and I've never sent anything flying with a spear.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 04:29:09 am »

They're too busy being impaled messily on your spear to fly back, I assume.

Slashing and Smashing weapons are a lot more likely to launch a critter or pieces thereof than a spear.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:42:30 am »

I've seen it happen once, although it may have been because the spear got lodged in the wound and the Dorf punched him, i dunno.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 04:48:56 am »

You realize that punching someone off your spear is incredibly badass?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 12:18:25 pm »

I've seen it happen when a goblin's been propelled into a tree by a hammer blow.
It also happens with fortifications.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:19:47 pm »

I had goblin bits fly into my fortifications when my marks dwarf exploded a thief with a bolt.

Exploded.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 12:26:30 pm »

building a bridge over to the top of the tree will let you retrieve them.

I played a mod (legendary lands?) with a lot of abundant small size (2-3 ish) birds and my crossbow hunter kept shooting them down into trees.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:54:02 pm »

You can just cut the tree that it is on. when I first found this I tried to build something on top of the trees but sadly they do not support stuff.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »

Ah, I already cut down the tree(you can see it designated in the lower picture), I just thought it was funny enough to share.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:19:11 pm »

One time after an attack I found goblin bones in the trees and several piles on top of my outer defensive wall. I made sure to forbid them and never cut down that tree, it was to badass. All right near my artifact goblin bone cage decorated with goblin bone made by a child that I was keeping all the captured goblins in.

goatunit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »

It seems like you would want to put your captured goblins in your awesome cage instead of in some hungry, fat-ass kid.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 05:48:22 pm »

Kav: problem there is that bones and other refuse left outdoors vanishes with the seasons.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2