Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [req]: Less ugly engravings  (Read 1933 times)

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[req]: Less ugly engravings
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:42:00 am »

Not sure if it's only me, but the way engravings are being displayed is the number one reason why I hate adding any engraving at all the my fortress.

The current engravings are shown using other tiles.  Unfortunately, imo, it totally messes up the looks of walls and rooms, making it hard to make out what was clearly room boundaries and such (smoothed walls and floors).

Perhaps there can be an option in INIT that shows all engravings using a generic tile instead of using the tiles associated with the engraving content? For floors, it can be a single tile.  For walls, perhaps there can be options to leave it displayed as something based off smoothed walls, so as the room boundary feature is not broken.

I was thinking that perhaps with this, it could be more convincing that engravings adds to aesthetics.  (just like why I prefer smoothed walls/floors over rough ones)?

Show your approval or disapprovals  :)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [req]: Less ugly engravings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

You are aware of the Toggle engraving designation right?
[d] -> [v] to change the engravings into generic looking walls and floors that are better looking than the regular smoothened surfaces.

And there IS an init option called [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO], change this to YES and it will inverse the "engraving toggle".

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>there IS an init option called [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:YES/NO]</STRONG>
^
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:03:00 am »

ah thanks.  sorry about the request of a feature that is already in.  I did a rough search and did not actually see this.  

One suggestion: please add this to a section in the Wiki page on "Engraving" to prevent other people from embarassing themselves asking such a question like I did.

thanks again.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:07:00 am »

*deleted*

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: sphr ]

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:18:00 am »

Adding that to the wiki right now.

EDIT: Done.  :)

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

May I also mention, for the record, that the [req] thingy is a tad bit redundant, as that's kind of what this whole forum is about. Just saying.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

Would be nice in the future not to have the engraved walls just being an inverse of the smooth ones. They still disrupt the look of the fortress this way...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

Yes, I agree. Engraved floors even with engravings toggled off are still ugly.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

There is a reason I only smooth floors and engrave walls.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

Maybe instead of toggling engravings through the designation button they could temporally toggle on by using the k (or shift-k) button so that a player looking for engravings can find them this way without having the engravings show their ugly faces any other time.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>May I also mention, for the record, that the [req] thingy is a tad bit redundant, as that's kind of what this whole forum is about. Just saying.</STRONG>

Other than denoting the intent, these tags are search friendly, esp if searching multiple forums.  But I guess that could be limited here coz this forum does not seem to support such.

EDIT: forgot to add, even for "suggestions", there are different levels.  a [req] is more for a feature that should be in.  an [idea] is a more casual one that just serves as possible sources of ideas.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: sphr ]

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

I'd love an option to make engravings look EXACTLY like regular smooth walls. I hate the 'negative of smoothed' style engravings. they just don't look right to me , particularly the floors, because the 'background' on items is black, so when you put a rope down in an engraved prison, it's one black squre in a grey room.

if that makes sense  :)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »

I have a modified tileset that forces the background on walls and floors to be black, and where the engraved walls are "filled in" between the double lines, and engraved floors simply have a more elaborate cross (a cross with crosslets, to be specific). It works pretty well as a workaround until Toady has time to work more on tilesets.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>I have a modified tileset that forces the background on walls and floors to be black, and where the engraved walls are "filled in" between the double lines, and engraved floors simply have a more elaborate cross (a cross with crosslets, to be specific). It works pretty well as a workaround until Toady has time to work more on tilesets.</STRONG>

The real problem is that DF reuses a lot of tiles in various filtered form (inverse/colored/monochrome etc).  Does your replacement of the default transparent color causes any difficulty with other stuff?  Do you mind sharing a link or two to images?

thanks

Pages: [1] 2