Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A little request for a little utility.  (Read 660 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A little request for a little utility.
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:05:23 pm »

This idea has been suggested several times in the according forum already I believe, but I think there oughta be a way of doing this with a little utility, so we dont have to wait until implementation. I suck at any form of "real" coding, so I figured I just mention it, maybe I get lucky and somebody picks it up.

What I'm looking for is a program that checks if the total amount of booze is smaller than a certain value, and if yes queues up "brew drink" x times, using the job manager. Well, I figure it would have to check whether or not there ARE actually any "brew drink" orders in the job manager already, too, else youll have a ginourmous amount of jobs in that list.

Oh, of course it should be able to do the same for meals.

maybe it should read out the values from the stock screen where it lists Drinks and Meals, so the accuracy you made your whosactuallytheguythatcounts count with still plays a role.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:17:00 pm by Puck »

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: A little request for a little utility.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:42:01 pm »

I can see a few problems already.

You're running along, designating a place to be mined, while the software monitors DF's memory. It suddenly detects the booze or meals are low, and suddenly the black screen pops up and starts inputting commands. Unless it hijacks the keyboard entirely, you might be pressing keys at the same time and screw up with the macro. Unless it could have direct access to DF's structure, it can't just reach in invisibly to do it.

Or, when you want it to check for it to queue, you go in start menu, start the software. Or right click on the tray icon and tell it to scan. But then, there's no point, because in the same amount of time, you could have hit Z, Space, J, R, and queued up some Brew Drink jobs yourself.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:38:41 pm »

I can see a few problems already.

You're running along, designating a place to be mined, while the software monitors DF's memory. It suddenly detects the booze or meals are low, and suddenly the black screen pops up and starts inputting commands. Unless it hijacks the keyboard entirely, you might be pressing keys at the same time and screw up with the macro. Unless it could have direct access to DF's structure, it can't just reach in invisibly to do it.

Or, when you want it to check for it to queue, you go in start menu, start the software. Or right click on the tray icon and tell it to scan. But then, there's no point, because in the same amount of time, you could have hit Z, Space, J, R, and queued up some Brew Drink jobs yourself.

Actually since job's after they are input become variables in memory... perhaps a programmer could skip putting it in through keys entirely and just write the values directly into DF's memory. Kinda like most cheat tools do.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:07:23 am »

Exactly.

btw... same goes for reading out the z screen... I just mentioned the stocks screen because the accuracy of the counting would still play a role, which it should, imho.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:01:20 am »

Why would those Dwarf Therapist and such be able to change without macros and this not?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 03:04:16 pm »

It's mostly the difference between altering a piece of data (a number or a flag bit) that already exists and creating a new piece of data (e.g. a workshop job) that DF can use.  The former is much easier than the latter.  It's even harder to hijack the input/output, interpret the graphics in the window, and send virtual keystrokes to a program.

I haven't looked at the job system at all, but I suspect it's a rather complicated beast.