Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Spellcraft Is <undefined> (v1.08) for 40d16  (Read 55344 times)

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcraft Is Reborn! (v0.7)
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2009, 03:34:16 pm »

spells.txt should look like that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
oh and tried to reproduce the bug somehow at first it worked, now it doesn't. I am not sure if i fixed it. Uploaded the new version to dffd

Fixxed it. Not too bad for doing it while I was sick and falling asleep. I decided to be creative with some of the names, it wasn't my goal to be confusing, just to add a little flavor.
Doing youtube stuff now, check me out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0H15QEUIeG-GyFQY1Mu72Q

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »

I have yet to find any runes in my area.. I'm starting to wonder if I was supposed to edit the raw's to some extent to get it to work.. o_o
The runes are set up as gems that should just spawn during worldgen right? Or would it be possible for me to just make each rune from the stonecrafters crafts or toys sort of area?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:13 pm »

I have yet to find any runes in my area.. I'm starting to wonder if I was supposed to edit the raw's to some extent to get it to work.. o_o
The runes are set up as gems that should just spawn during worldgen right? Or would it be possible for me to just make each rune from the stonecrafters crafts or toys sort of area?
By default, no. The reaction_spellcraft files are intended to add a reaction to smelters, which take no resources to use, that make either 1 of all the runes or 1 specific rune. Once made, you can then encrust things with them at the jeweler's workshop to make magic.

Or, you can alter the spells.txt file to make different materials than the "rune" gems do the spells. Mine, for instance, is set up like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So for instance star rubies and sapphires make things neverending supplies of magma and water, hydra bones make affected creatures heal including severed limbs, and other stuff. I intentionally made most of the spells use fairly rare materials so as to make magic not common, but you could make everything use common stuff to make magic easily accessible.

Also, are my bone spells set up properly? I don't have a fort with the capacity to acquire all that stuff at the moment, so I can't check if they're working, myself  :-[
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:31 pm »

I cant seem to smelt anything of the sort... I'll try a regen again
Also something minor which I'm currently unable to fix as I'm using 40d16.. My magma buildings are not available even though I spawned on an area with a volcano around.. but I know that I'll be able to get them later on, because I struck admantine a few minutes ago (First time ever too! and on a super hard mode game too.)
Regenning fixed it, but its a tad unfortunate I wont be able to use that admantine, Oh well. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:10:55 pm by NRN_R_Sumo1 »

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »

Also, are my bone spells set up properly? I don't have a fort with the capacity to acquire all that stuff at the moment, so I can't check if they're working, myself  :-[
As for syntax all good. Not sure about DWARF and Megabeast. Dwarf bones afak will only be used by moods (macabre or the other one) and megabeasta are veeery rare (at least for me, played for veeery long in 40d ver and 0 megabeasts :/ )

I cant seem to smelt anything of the sort... I'll try a regen again
Also something minor which I'm currently unable to fix as I'm using 40d16.. My magma buildings are not available even though I spawned on an area with a volcano around.. but I know that I'll be able to get them later on, because I struck admantine a few minutes ago (First time ever too! and on a super hard mode game too.)
Regenning fixed it, but its a tad unfortunate I wont be able to use that admantine, Oh well. :)
If volcano is not revealed it could be that you will get magma buildings later. If it is revealed than thats very strange (never happened before). As for regening i advise using something like NecroRebel's spells.txt or editing reaction you are not using to make runes you need (e.g. ROSE_GOLD )

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2009, 08:29:58 pm »

As for syntax all good. Not sure about DWARF and Megabeast. Dwarf bones afak will only be used by moods (macabre or the other one) and megabeasta are veeery rare (at least for me, played for veeery long in 40d ver and 0 megabeasts :/ )
That was intentional  ;) I decided that things macarbre moods made might be melancholy magic, so if one of my dwarves gets into a macarbre or fell mood and makes an artifact that included dwarf bone and a trigger it would be appropriate.

And, as I said, I intentionally made magic materials uncommon to rare so as to make magic harder to acquire, so megabeasts being rare isn't a problem either.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:22 am »

how many squares is considered close to the trigger? I'm just wondering because I plan on using regen and health runes in my infirmary and want to know how large I should make it based upon the numbers :)

Edit:
Alright, I've got the runes encrusted on the glass statues and a door.
the door is placed in the middle of the beds, the statue is beside them.

what should be happening is that my folks should be getting healed for lung damage, but it doesnt seem to be healed from either the health or the regeneration runes..

You're supposed to put both a rune on and a sentry correct? I'm using periodics on both the door and the statue

Edit2: I got the regen and health statues working, but there was another which I was testing with as well which isnt working now..
I'm getting the message in the console box "smoke failed, no free effects left"
What on earth is it talking about Darius? :X

edit3: oddly enough when I put two effects onto a statue they both worked, I'm retrying the smoke once the water and magma stop destroying my jewlers den, despite the statue not being placed.

edit4: Scratch that, the statue wasnt destroyed but is instead sitting inside of the jewlers den, spewing out tiles of lava and water.. destroying all the runes around in the process..

edit5: the health statues werent working after all, I must have been looking at a differant dwarf..
I'll try another world gen and see if I cant get it to work stable.. o_o
I dont know why I'm having so much trouble with this, while everyone else is having such an easy time it seems.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:16:23 am by NRN_R_Sumo1 »

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2009, 06:39:25 am »

how many squares is considered close to the trigger? I'm just wondering because I plan on using regen and health runes in my infirmary and want to know how large I should make it based upon the numbers :)

Edit:
Alright, I've got the runes encrusted on the glass statues and a door.
the door is placed in the middle of the beds, the statue is beside them.

what should be happening is that my folks should be getting healed for lung damage, but it doesnt seem to be healed from either the health or the regeneration runes..

You're supposed to put both a rune on and a sentry correct? I'm using periodics on both the door and the statue

Edit2: I got the regen and health statues working, but there was another which I was testing with as well which isnt working now..
What on earth is it talking about Darius? :X

edit3: oddly enough when I put two effects onto a statue they both worked, I'm retrying the smoke once the water and magma stop destroying my jewlers den, despite the statue not being placed.

edit4: Scratch that, the statue wasnt destroyed but is instead sitting inside of the jewlers den, spewing out tiles of lava and water.. destroying all the runes around in the process..

edit5: the health statues werent working after all, I must have been looking at a differant dwarf..
I'll try another world gen and see if I cant get it to work stable.. o_o
I dont know why I'm having so much trouble with this, while everyone else is having such an easy time it seems.

Don't feel bad, I've hit a bit of a snag. My game is crashing like it did with the water rune, but with periodic resurrect, and conversion. I'm wondering if the problem is with the periodic rune. Or if overlapping the statue effects (Like Conversion working within resurrection's radius) causes game instability.

Hmm. I'd say put the sentry runes first, but you must be for the water and magma to work. I've done the majority of my engraving on statues, and this time the regeneration isn't working for me either. (I just crushed the Marksdwarf that lost both eyes trying to club a troll, and Revived him.) So we probably need Darius to take a look at this bit of fun.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2009, 11:16:40 am »

<...>

<...>

<...>
1.my mistake  last update I made strength of spell to be normalized (in range [0;1]) but forgot to update ranges. Now range will be between 2 and 8 tiles.
2.This happens when there are none effect objects left. I cannot (yet) create (stable) effect objects so i use created but not used. To start any(and all) effect using spells try generating some in game (e.g cave ins, miasma, smoke, ocean waves etc)
3.Yeah i know it's a bug. Somehow need figure out if its in building because its stashed there or if its there as a component.

Don't feel bad, I've hit a bit of a snag. My game is crashing like it did with the water rune, but with periodic resurrect, and conversion. I'm wondering if the problem is with the periodic rune. Or if overlapping the statue effects (Like Conversion working within resurrection's radius) causes game instability.

Hmm. I'd say put the sentry runes first, but you must be for the water and magma to work. I've done the majority of my engraving on statues, and this time the regeneration isn't working for me either. (I just crushed the Marksdwarf that lost both eyes trying to club a troll, and Revived him.) So we probably need Darius to take a look at this bit of fun.
Tweeked a bit periodic rune (probably main culprit). It used to edit DF on the fly(which is bad especialy if you have more than 1 cpu)... Now it will pause before editing... I hope it will not lag too much.

There is also one bug left (thinking how to make it go away): if you have an "active item"(encrusted item) destroyed bad things happen.

Btw updated program.
(STUPID): 3 point was because i put ';' where it wasn't supposed to be...
Now it should be only one bug left (so don't destroy active items!)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:35:08 am by darius »

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2009, 02:44:49 pm »

Tweeked a bit periodic rune (probably main culprit). It used to edit DF on the fly(which is bad especialy if you have more than 1 cpu)... Now it will pause before editing... I hope it will not lag too much.

There is also one bug left (thinking how to make it go away): if you have an "active item"(encrusted item) destroyed bad things happen.

Btw updated program.
(STUPID): 3 point was because i put ';' where it wasn't supposed to be...
Now it should be only one bug left (so don't destroy active items!)

Cool. Now, are items still considered active if the spellcraft utility isn't running? Because with the periodic rune being sassy, I was chucking my statues in a magma vent to get rid of instability. I'll also try to keep soldiers with runes away from bottomless pits, and the magma vent.

EDIT: Ok, when you fixed the program this time, do I need to use the new reactions, or can I just move the new Spellcraft program over?

Also, I wanted to thank you for being responsive in this thread, listening to our requests, and answering our questions/solving most of our problems.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:57:21 pm by Wiseacre »

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »

naah fixes are just in the exe. Didn't touch txt files. And no items are not active if program is not running. Actually I kinda hate periodic rune. Because: 1) it works even if game is paused 2) it suspends process (had to add this for stability) 3) kind of out of game thing 

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2009, 04:02:40 pm »

It's lind of odd, but dwarves that have been resurrected seem to explode when they die again. I can't seem to find the bodies, and there's chunks all over the place. Also, no death announcement.

This isn't really a bad thing, it makes it seem like the resurrected dwarves are held together by evil energy.

(Still playing the dark dwarves.)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2009, 04:11:16 pm »

;D never happened to me though i might know the culprit.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »

instead of using the periodic rune then (as there seems to be many bugs around it) would there be a way to encrust runes onto gears, so that the gear could be hooked up to (or perhaps used in) a lever by making a gearbox able to detect if its turning on (not if its on or not, but just a turning on, so not to invoke the working while paused bug) so that you could use it as part of the already complex dwarven clockwork systems. for example Urist pulls lever 4 times, which is hooked up to turn a gear on then off then on then off, which would cause two reactions.

I think that if its possible it could work out excellently.

also, the reason that you arent getting a death message is because the dwarves in question have already died, which is logged in legends if I'm correct, and if something goes directly against the legends, its safely not recorded. However if you were to have him kill goblins of importance, those kills would be recorded in legends regardless of his status of being alive.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:04 pm »

instead of using the periodic rune then (as there seems to be many bugs around it) would there be a way to encrust runes onto gears, so that the gear could be hooked up to (or perhaps used in) a lever by making a gearbox able to detect if its turning on (not if its on or not, but just a turning on, so not to invoke the working while paused bug) so that you could use it as part of the already complex dwarven clockwork systems. for example Urist pulls lever 4 times, which is hooked up to turn a gear on then off then on then off, which would cause two reactions.

I think that if its possible it could work out excellently.

also, the reason that you arent getting a death message is because the dwarves in question have already died, which is logged in legends if I'm correct, and if something goes directly against the legends, its safely not recorded. However if you were to have him kill goblins of importance, those kills would be recorded in legends regardless of his status of being alive.
I am thinking of adding more "better" triggers. Wanted to add daily trigger but didn't find any thing that could do that. Gear turning on sounds easy enough. Oh and there is a creature flag i call it CR_BODY_LEFT witch is set when CR_DEAD is set. If i reset it once again creature leaves a corpse. Funny thing about resurrection: if you look at legends you will see: in 1 urist has died, in 1 urist has died, in 2 urist has died and so on :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18