Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravings on second fort  (Read 1200 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engravings on second fort
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:04 pm »

I am engraving a new fort in my world, and many of the engravings, probably half, are events that happened in the previous fort. That's ok, but my new fort is being built by dwarfs from a different dwarf civilization. Is that ok?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings on second fort
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:54:45 pm »

Did you build in the same region as the old fort at all?

I know that dwarves will engrave historical events even having to do with other civilizations, even other races. It might be limited to ones in the same region, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:24:19 pm »

Did you build in the same region as the old fort at all?

I know that dwarves will engrave historical events even having to do with other civilizations, even other races. It might be limited to ones in the same region, though.

No actually, this is far away. The only point of contact was an Elf civ that my previous dwarves were friendly with and that these new dwarves are at war with.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 04:47:24 pm »

Little do you know, dwarven beards are actually history books, this is why the dwarf with the biggest beard is the record keeper,  he needs to store all that data somewhere, and a dwarf never uses paper.

They try to engrave meaningfull events, and try to do so in this order:

Happened to:
Their fort
Their civ
Themselves
Other dwarves in the fort
Other dwarves of other civ
Others

That is as far as I've gotten with my guesses, could it be that nothing big happened in your new civ/fort/to your dwarves yet, and they decide to engrave about other dwarves instead?
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:54:58 am »

No actually, this is far away. The only point of contact was an Elf civ that my previous dwarves were friendly with and that these new dwarves are at war with.

Dwarves have some kind of telepathic racial consciousness.  How else can you explain the dwarven caravan bringing items decorated with images of an artifact that you only just made and nobody but your dwarves have seen it ?
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:11:05 am »

Dwarves have some kind of telepathic racial consciousness.  How else can you explain the dwarven caravan bringing items decorated with images of an artifact that you only just made and nobody but your dwarves have seen it ?

Beardekinesis.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:17:46 am »

Beardekinesis.

Wouldn't that be the ability to manipulate beards with your mind?

Also, everyone knows Dwarves communicate with spores, they do everything with spores.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:58:36 am »

Nope, it'd be the ability to manipulate things with beards. Or perhaps just the ability to move your own beard, not sure. It's like greek to me  ;D

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:31:04 am »

Little do you know, dwarven beards are actually history books, this is why the dwarf with the biggest beard is the record keeper,  he needs to store all that data somewhere, and a dwarf never uses paper.

Actually, this could work, the Mayans (or Aztecs, never remember which) used to use knotted braided string to store records on, I can totally picture a grizzled old bookkeeper with knotted beard braids storing all the records, and allowing access to that stored knowledge wherever he is.

this could even explain why bookkeepers only need a chair to sit on when they keep the books up to date... the "books" are always with them.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »

It is the art of Beardamancy or looking into their beards for knowlege.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »

I always thought that all dwarves were linked by the great comunal beard, were all their experiences and thoughts go there and can be carefully accessed by those who have the skills to access it.

Why else do you think dwarves protect their beards so? Without it they'd be severed from all of dwarfdom.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 12:23:23 am »

And when you get a HUGE fort (like economy woot) you take the dwarfs that have been bad and cut off their beards as punishment and bam more recordkeeping!

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 03:25:30 am »

Once, a dwarf created an artifact fire imp bone axe... with an image of itself on it in harlequin opal.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 05:53:38 am »

Best one i ever got went like this:

Dwarf gets mood, collects items, starts making Artifact.
Caravan arrives.
Dwarf finishes mood, he made a floodgate of some sort IIRC.
Caravan reaches depot.
Through sheer chance, i happen to notice that a seed bag the caravan brought and i'm trading for has an image of the artifact the Dwarf had just made on it in leather.

Work that one out.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 06:38:11 am »

Where do you think the dwarves get their design concepts from? They glimpse actual items in the eternal dwarven halls, when they get moody. It's like a spiritual connection to their afterlife.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!