Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doors and Pets  (Read 697 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Doors and Pets
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:29:45 pm »

When I set my doors to tightly shut (to close down pet traffic) will this also bar pets like, for example, my assigned war dog and hunting dog population? Which I'd prefer to let about it's business.

I'm basically trying to force my stray cats and kittens stay indoors (rather than taking strangely circutous paths across the entire map, without so much as the advantage of ANY of them being eaten by wolves or something -_-;) so they can be caught and put in a cage/slaughtered. Will this also prevent my wardogs and such from getting outside as well?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Doors and Pets
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »

Doors set to tightly shut will bar your war dogs from getting out just as well as they will your kittens - which is somewhat less than 100%, as animals tend to sneak through when the door is opened by a dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »

Not to mention that it has a tendency to wreak havoc with FPS.

Although if they are used in a certain way, they may not cause as much of a problem.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 01:46:55 pm »

tightly shut doors fluctuate between 100% effectiveness and 0% effectiveness depending on the traffic of the area.

As said above, a dwarf walking through the door leaves it open so that pets can walk through it. Another problem is the animals tendency to clump up near doors that they cant walk through, meaning you'll have a potential jailbreak on your hands.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"