Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farming in winter  (Read 2733 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming in winter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:22 pm »

YOU SHALL EAT ROCKS AND CRAP TOPSOIL MAGGOTS

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 12:11:48 pm »

Of course cooking is Dwarven.  What dwarf wouldn't cook up 4 barrels worth of dwarven syrup into a roast that would give Armok Himself diabetes.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 01:07:21 pm »

I find cooking in DF to be very dwarven. Consider this, dwarves 'cook' without any heat source.

I picture the little beasts piling all the ingredients into a mold and then stomping on it until it solidifies into a solid block. 

As for the roasts made entirely out of 'drinks,' lets just say that filtration isn't dwarven.  They drink the straight fermented mash.  Plenty of stuff to press into a brick or roast as they call it.

As for the crop growing cycle, I've been tempted to see about modding all the crops so that they only grow during the summer just to make food management more of a challenge.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:35:01 pm »

It doesn't explain how a dwarf can make a "Cat Tallow Roast."  Unless you call a lump of cat fat a "roast." 

Given the nature of Dwarven milk and cheese I don't know if I want to know the specifics of what dwarves are putting in their booze intake orifice.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 01:39:23 pm »

Question is, Dwarven milk... (Insert HORRIBLE MENTAL IMAGE)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 01:26:12 am »

Question is, Dwarven milk... (Insert HORRIBLE MENTAL IMAGE)

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 06:56:52 am »

As for the crop growing cycle, I've been tempted to see about modding all the crops so that they only grow during the summer just to make food management more of a challenge.
It also occurred to me, but to be fair the underground would need to be expanded since the climate stays fairly constant once you get more than a few meters down. Of course, that's based on what I've read about houses built into hills and mines. A cave system might be entirely different.
As far as food management... there are so many issues with the engine and strengths and weaknesses that I'm content to wait on the farming arc. It's simple enough to limit your farmers or shrink your fields or turn your legendary growers into soldiers or haulers.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »

That's not as odd as farming in the desert...

"Winter has been marked on the calendar" Because it never ever changes, and never ever rains, the only way my dorfs know its winter is to check the calendar (presumably some form of beard measurement). However my underground crops seem to know EXACTLY when winter hits.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 08:51:18 am »

Is it as odd as pouring water on the kitchen floor and planting giant mushrooms?
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:08 am »

Fungi grow everywhere.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 09:10:31 pm »

Theres a few plant mods based around this concept, they basically swap the plant cycles so all underground plants grow year-round while all aboveground plants grow seasonally.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 12:40:36 pm »

The temperature in cave systems also stays fairly constant.  It's not exactly summetime temperatures, but it's livable and I am sure the fungi like it.  Meramec Caverns, for example, are 58 degrees F year-round.

I, too, like the gentle farming mod for its challenge, although I have added Pickerel's reindeer moss, beehives, and cacao bushes.  I changed the numbers on those to try to match up with the economics of the gentle farming mod, plus corrected his biome syntax errors with a little help from Jaybud (BIOME:, not BIOME_).  I made reindeer moss only grow in the tundra-type areas, and added creme de cacao to the cacao bushes.  It is entirely possible to have my Dwarves starve to death now, and herbalism is worth something to me.  Having an Arctic colony living on raw plump helmets and cooked turtles (caught from the aquifer), and drinking aquavit, is my kind of fun.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 05:22:20 pm »

I know we're shooting for some kind of realism here, so maybe this is a bit off the deep end, but, perhaps there is some cosmological reason for the winter hiatus most dwarven crops take? The alignment of the planets? The electromagnetic field push lessening from lessened solar wind? The [Spoilers] put off less heat during winter months?

Who knows?
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »

It's not exactly summetime temperatures, but it's livable and I am sure the fungi like it.  Meramec Caverns, for example, are 58 degrees F year-round.
The [Spoilers] put off less heat during winter months?
I wouldn't be adverse to magically influenced crops. I'm sure that Toady would make them subject to whatever options he puts on the eventual magic system.
That being said, I recall seeing a documentary on mining and it gets hot down there. Apparently one of the big challenges is not only to keep air circulating but keeping it cool as well. Now, needing to design a fortress around air circulation with shafts and stuff... That would be very dwarfy. Not full air currents and convection, you think magma oozing will kill your fps... Just something when the cave-ins get updated. Maybe path to fresh air or have the path-finder mark areas as it does it's usual routine. Don't know how far down you'd need to go to get uncomfortable and subterranean creatures would likely have a higher tolerance (and a comfort range) but it would justify the 15 levels down thing. (And make invaders loathe to go too deep.)
Gotta remember to check out that farming mod. I was just watching Soap and thinking, "My dwarves need pigs."
---------
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2]