Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farming in winter  (Read 2737 times)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming in winter
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »

Has it struck anyone else as odd how most crops can be grown year round on the surface, but in the underground, where the environment is fairly constant, 2/3 of the crops are seasonal?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming in winter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:58:51 pm »

Yes.  That's why I mod my plants.  To add verisimilitude.

I like the gentle farming mod, myself.  Of course, it's probably like this because the game is about dwarves.  Greater attention is paid to the dwarven crops/food than surface crops/food.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »

*Smacks the op* WHAT ARE YOU? A DAMN DIRTY TREE HUGGIN ELF? Learn to farm underground like a REAL dwarf and GET BACK TO WORK.  This is the one thing you were born into this world to do HOW DARE YOU QUESTION IT?

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 03:40:42 pm »

I think the nobles rubbed off on the plants, and now you have to do it their way (and the way for some reason being a shortened life span).
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Boogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:51:15 pm »

Why would you want to grow anything other than delicious plump helmets anyway? :P

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:16 pm »

I assume this is because of an oversight in the making of crops, like how on outside, muddied rock of a mountain nothing can grow(Or a platform over the ocean). In theory it should be possible, but it doesn't work.

And to the person saying the true dwarven farming is underground, remember that sun berries only grow above ground, and make the best booze, while whip vines only grow above ground for good quality flour, only an elf would willingly restrict his own diet. Don't be an elf.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:05:05 pm »

But sun berries make ELVEN alcohol. Wich is heresy on itself. GG get back under the dirt :|

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »

But there's 5 crops you can grow underground (dimple cups don't count). 

How dare you question the sanctity of true dwarven alcohol.  If it doesn't have "Dwarven" in it's name it's only fit for the tree molesting cannibals.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 05:18:07 pm »

Hey!  Sewer Brew has the kick, fumes and smell worthy of Dwarven Stout!

Heck, you can't even smoke in the same dining hall it's being consumed in!  And it doubles as Axle Grease!

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »

Blah your all heathons... To the magma pit with you!

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:46:55 pm »

Wait...  PIT?!

You simpleton!  The only way to handle burning people alive is to have a overly complex series of gates, channels, pumps and hatches to drop the molten rock ontop of them.  And you do this in the Colosseum, before a live audience that can truly enjoy their suffering.

And on their last agonizing breaths before either their lungs burst into flames or their nerves melt off, you pour gallons of freezing water on them, hardening it all into valuable Obsidian that captures the moment of their deaths!

Pits.  Bah, Pits are for the anus of the Abyss.

((The previous post was Rated "D" for Dwarf, and may contain copious amounts of bad Dwarf humor.  Impressionable young children and those easily offended should have left the room, but will now have to be sealed in Frozen Obsidian))

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 05:56:38 pm »

I would like to point out that there is no other type of obsidian than frozen obsidian. Everything else is either magma, lava, or somehow boiling.  Which would be strange, to say the least.

*boot*
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »

He hath descovered the secret of liquid obsidean! Curses, Soon they'll realize melting obsidean, then freezing it again makes pure adamantine >.>

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:23 pm »

Why would you want to grow anything other than delicious plump helmets anyway? :P

well my fortress atm can survive off dwarven syrup roasts, it keeps dwarves happier and one stack can sell for up to 15,000 dwarfbucks

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:09 pm »

Cooking? That is not the way of the dwarf.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2