Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too lazy to read through changelog....  (Read 657 times)

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too lazy to read through changelog....
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:53:54 am »

Hey all,

I haven't played DF in a while. Probably 2 years. I first played around 0.22 when there were no z-levels. And then again around 0.27 when z-levels were introduced and I was totally blown away.

What big features have been introduced in the last 2 years that might totally change the way I play? I realize that it is a relatively small version jump from 0.27 to 0.28 and not like adding z-levels. So I am not expecting TOO much, but it would be nice if DF was a a little more challenging without going out of my way to handicap my dwarfs. I've always found it to be all too easy to thrive in any half-decent environment. I almost always ended up with way more food than my dwarves could possible consume. And that was even making fine/lavish meals out of everything. Also it woudl be nice if armies were a little more manageable.

Are there any new major "goals" in the game? Important interactions with other civs?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too lazy to read through changelog....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:43:23 pm »

Hey all,

I haven't played DF in a while. Probably 2 years. I first played around 0.22 when there were no z-levels. And then again around 0.27 when z-levels were introduced and I was totally blown away.

What big features have been introduced in the last 2 years that might totally change the way I play? I realize that it is a relatively small version jump from 0.27 to 0.28 and not like adding z-levels. So I am not expecting TOO much, but it would be nice if DF was a a little more challenging without going out of my way to handicap my dwarfs. I've always found it to be all too easy to thrive in any half-decent environment. I almost always ended up with way more food than my dwarves could possible consume. And that was even making fine/lavish meals out of everything. Also it woudl be nice if armies were a little more manageable.

Are there any new major "goals" in the game? Important interactions with other civs?

Wait for this next version to come out, there are many, many changes.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:00 pm »

Hey all,

Wait for this next version to come out, there are many, many changes.
Well, don't wait, start playing now, but yeah.

I have only started playing during the .28 era so I don't really know what's different.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »

World generation, or at least the history portion of it, changed a lot. I don't remember exactly how it was before, but now there's more civilization interaction stuff, wars, and so forth, which is kind of nice, although you don't yet see the effects in fortress mode much. Although if your civ is at war with another when you start, they WILL attack you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:12:56 pm »

Probably the biggest recent change is the ability to control how worlds get generated. Not just the size, but you can set things like rainfall, elevation, presence of volcanoes, frequency of evil regions, etc. This makes it a lot easier for you to make your "ideal" embark site, for whatever meaning of "ideal" you use.

Hell, there's a world painter that allows you to set the map directly, though very few of us have figured out how to use it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels