Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Complicated Controls & Interface  (Read 1427 times)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: Complicated Controls & Interface
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:52:34 pm »

Only 120 hours? You don't play it in the background, do you...

Anyway, I was confused as heck when I first started. Eventually, though, I got used to it. My tip is just to take it slow and try to learn one thing at a time. E.G. first, dig out some dirt. Then, designate a stockpile. Also, check the key bindings. I didn't and so I was stuck using - and wrapping around instead of + for... at least a week, if not more.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 10:32:20 pm »

I found these video tutorials to be incredibly helpful.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28477.0

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:17 am »

Thanks for your help everyone, the oddest thing happened when I was playing.. I just suddenly 'got it' and now I completely understand the Z-Level system and stuff :O I even managed to make a simple flood chamber to kill invaders with a nearby brook, which I am immensely proud of :D.
Doesnt mean I dont have questions though, and I am just about to write a whole list of them in the Questions forum because this isnt really the place to ask them.
Thanks again everyone!
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 11:09:19 am »

Yay! Congrats on drowning those Elf Human Noble Goblin invaders!

Eh, having grown up like The_Fool, with MUDs and NetHack and whatnot, this interface seems rather intuitive to me... But eh, I've always been a gameplay-over-graphics person. Tis a shame that most recent games are more concentrated on making their water look all realistic, than having ridiculously engaging, well-thought out gameplay ideas...

Don't get me started.  One of the worst things to happen to computer games was the advent of the graphics card and high-density media to store all the shiny fluff on.  Way too many developers (and consumers) bought into selling their product with graphics rather than content.  If I wanted mindless entertainment with special effects, I can rent a movie.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:46 am »

I've even forgotten some of the real names for the things on the menus, just now muttering a name related to the letter.

This, this. The 'designations' menu is the 'dig' to me, since digging is (d)ig -> (d)ig damnit!

things you might not know of yet...
(d) -> (o) sets traffic areas, to keep dwarves away from dangerous features (the river, the magma pipe, the bit you're flooding)

(d) -> (b) mass-designates stuff in an area for forbidding, dumping, or hiding -- useful for the post-battlefield cleanup, or stone management. I use it on top of my early forts right after they are all set up, so when I move into more high quality chambers I can deconstruct the furniture (a built piece of furniture can be marked for dumping, but won't get dumped until it's de-constructed) gets dumped instead of confused with the good stuff, or decorated.

I remember the first thing I heard about DF -- my boyfriend's roommate was playing and he showed me a screen that I swear looked like nothing but Matrix code, saying "over here my military fought off some goblins, there's vomit on the ground when they puked after taking punches". And all I could think is... what part of that is 'ground'?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 01:48:48 pm »

Note that traffic designations do not forbid regions; they just tell the dwarves which tiles to prefer when traveling to a location. If their destination is in a "Restricted" zone, though, they'll still enter that zone, since that's the only way to get to where they need to be.

You can get minor gains in FPS by setting high-traffic zones along your major thoroughfares, since the dwarves will waste less time in their pathfinding in examining unlikely routes.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 05:41:36 am »

I have been playing DF for around a week now, and what I have played is great. However, my question is, why does it seem to actually be designed as complex as possible? I mean, the mouse can be used on some menus but not others, the plus and
All is ok now, you just didn't play enough.
Finis sanctificat media.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 08:00:51 am »

Some people play in the background? ???
I never play in the background I am allways with my fortress and watching what my dwarfs do.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 09:52:21 am »

Some people play in the background? ???
I never play in the background I am allways with my fortress and watching what my dwarfs do.

And that's why I have a second monitor... dwarfs work away on the left monitor while I "work" away on the right one...
Pages: 1 [2]