Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The hardest dwarf I've ever seen (questions on wounds/rest).  (Read 2450 times)

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
The hardest dwarf I've ever seen (questions on wounds/rest).
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:19:53 am »

A few years ago in my game quite a few of my soldier dwarves got themselves injured in a goblin siege.
Some had limbs with red injuries, some with yellow but they killed a metric assload of goblins & no soldiers died as far as I remember so it was all good while they recovered.
One dwarf had red damage to his right lung as I think he may have taken a few missiles to the chest & was unlucky enough for one to penetratre his Steel Chain Mail (hadn't made any Steel Plate Mail at that point IIRC). While he was resting something woke him up (think I may have moved the barracks while he was resting, someone pulling the bed out from under you will probably do that).
That was more than 3 years ago. He still has red damage to his right lung & doesn't ever get a "Rest" task. He will spar in the barracks quite happily even though he often gets Winded as one would expect.

Is there anyway to drag him to a bed & make him get some much needed rest or should I just accept he's a double hard-bastard & let him enjoy his slightly breathless existence? I have checked for missiles lodged in him & he's definitely OK in that regard (I periodically un-forbid the bolts which get left around from hunting & always do it after a siege in the stocks page for this reason).

Also the dwarffortress wiki says beds in no defined room are used for "hospital" beds & dwarves recover faster there. I haven't seen this happen. I have a room (as in 4 walls with doors) with 9 beds in it. It's not defined as a barracks or a bedroom or anything but it never gets used by injured dwarves, they always go to their own bedrooms or the barracks to rest. Would it help if I had enough bedrooms for every dwarf, removed the barracks & set my military squads to "sleep in room"?

I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The hardest dwarf I've ever seen (questions on wounds/rest).
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:48 am »

I think the only way to get him to rest, is for him to get wounded ,again, in battle (or sparring)

Also, when his toughness statistic raises high enough, he might not be bothered anymore by having only 1 lung.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11:14 am »

Hmm I meant to post this in Gameplay Questions (if anyone can move it please do).

I guess I'll try getting him re-injured then. Next seige should provide plenty of caged goblins to unleash him on & see what happens. His military skills are Great Wrestler, Adept Shield User, Expert Axedwarf & Skilled Armor User & he's Extremely Strong, Very Agile & Unbelieveably Tough.

I may try stripping his weapons & armour & putting him up against the next thief I capture without taking their weapons off them first to see if they manage to force him to Rest after he strangles them to death. Never know, they might get lucky & give him a mild scratch or something which is enough to make him want to curl up in bed for a while.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:15:03 am »

I'm not sure if mangled lungs heal.  I played a succession game where one of the craftsdwarves had a mangled lung but still went around making +Goblin Bone Bolts+ for me.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:16:32 am »

I'm pretty sure he's not resting because he doesn't "need" to rest. Because lungs, as far as I know, are something that don't heal after they've been pierced. So you're going to have to watch the poor guy slug along with one lung, until either age or bolt gets him.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:30:43 am »

Either way, it isn't life threatening.  If he isn't champion/elite then undraft him and send him to the pumps so he can boost his tougness in safe manner.  Or just promote him to the Royal Guard Department of Dwarven Veterans Affairs.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:49 am »

Or just promote him to the Royal Guard Department of Dwarven Veterans Affairs.

Haha that's where all my military dwarves with nervous injuries & neglidable military skills go. They get wooden crossbows just to further shame them. Unfortunately he has Great Wrestler skill so it's not an option in this case. I've got enough things to mess with him for now & it sounds from other people experiences that it won't heal iself so I'll just use him for fun until he drops.

Anyone any ideas on the hospital beds?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:47:03 pm »

If he's not falling unconscious he's allready tough enough.  1 lunged dwarves aren't a problem. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »

@Malibu: I don't really know, my dwarves usually put the injured in their own beds. Even if I have unassigned beds or ones that haven't been set up as a room. Right now, hospital just means wherever your dwarves put thier injured. I think that might be the barracks. Still, healthcare is getting a major revamp in the next version.

As for the one lunged dwarf, I think a mangled lung could be a life threatening injury due to bleeding in the next version.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:48:41 pm »

Beds that aren't in an assigned room will not - in my experience - be used at all. Hospital beds are those which are defined as in a room but presently unoccupied. If there are no unassigned beds, the barracks will be used. After the barracks comes the personal room. I'm not sure if the barracks vs. personal issue depends on whether or not they are military or if their squad is set to rest in their own room.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »

I've had several dwarves with red lung injuries, and none ever healed.  I think internal organs usually don't heal.  I also have several with brown livers; you'd think they'd have to stop drinking alcohol, but it doesn't seem to trouble them.

The most immortal dwarf I've ever seen was my current hammerer.  I took away his hammer, but eventually he happened to be prancing about my sun-fort when a few goblins came along (two thieves, I think); for some reason, a door was stuck open.  I quickly conscripted two peasants and sent them to the door, but they both got slaughtered while dealing no damage.  Then, in a rare show of noble usefulness, the hammerer ran over and killed both goblins barehanded...  and was left with seemingly his whole body red, brown, gray, and yellow.  I was sure he would be permanently crippled, but he crawled down to his bed and slept for nearly three seasons, and is now completely healed.  Very odd.  I wish I could remember what was damaged - but I'm pretty sure there were at least a couple internal organs.

Incidentally - if you want to keep training a heroic+ dwarf after he gets nerve damage, you can always put him on patrol in a depth-4 pool of water.  "Water therapy" :)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:34 pm »

My understanding is that since he can't stop using his lung, he can't rest it to heal. I belive if you turn of their breathing requirement in the raws, it can be healed normally.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:08:15 pm »

Does that imply the liver will heal if you force them to drink water?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 05:03:18 am »

tl;dr after OP

Check his inventory to see if he still has an arrow stuck in him. That would prevent healing.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 07:07:48 am »

tl;dr after OP

Check his inventory to see if he still has an arrow stuck in him. That would prevent healing.

If the arrow was preventing any kind of healing, he'd still be stuck in bed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2