Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The hardest dwarf I've ever seen (questions on wounds/rest).  (Read 2447 times)

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: The hardest dwarf I've ever seen (questions on wounds/rest).
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:55 am »

tl;dr after OP

Check his inventory to see if he still has an arrow stuck in him. That would prevent healing.

If the arrow was preventing any kind of healing, he'd still be stuck in bed.
And as already mentioned in my original post:
I have checked for missiles lodged in him & he's definitely OK in that regard (I periodically un-forbid the bolts which get left around from hunting & always do it after a siege in the stocks page for this reason).

In a related note, during a siege last night when I was messing around in the orders page to reduce the amount of cancelled actions spam I receive due to setting my dwarves to stay inside I noticed in the forbid menu you can set all shot ammo (yours and enemies) not to be forbidden automatically. Same goes for enemies dropped equipment. Saves you having to unforbid all the non-broken bolts from battles & hunting and lets you forget about unforbidding all the loot your enemies bring you.

Forbid menu is "F" (must be capital) when in the orders menu.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »

The main reason to keep bolts forbidden is that they don't re-stack.  Once you use a bolt, it will permanently be in a stack of size 1, which makes them incredibly inconvenient.  Do you really want your marksdwarves going around armed with one bolt?

The narrow invader gear, on the other hand, gets really annoying and clutters stockpiles.  Furthermore, during an invasion, any time an invader gets killed, a bunch of suicidal dwarves will rush out to strip his warm, quivering corpse of useless junk, and often die.  Even if they can't go outdoors, they will still run to the entrance and dance around there. 

d-b-f can forbid anything in a large area (d-b-c to reclaim), and d-b-d marks it for dumping into a garbage pile (it can be safely reclaimed later).  I use those a lot.  You can always go to the stocks screen (z) and reclaim the useful or valuable items (like weapons, bolts, and giant spider silk) there. <tab> on the stocks screen allows you to look at individual items.

If you ever really wanted to unforbid all bolts, the stocks screen (ammunition category) is the easiest way to do it.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:46:26 am »

Yeah that's how I've been doing it previously (re-claiming via stocks menu) but I thought it would save me some time and/or hassle having things not forbidden in the first place.

I've noticed an issue with re-claiming bolts automatically. I have 3 Hunters all using Crossbows & have frequently seen Marksdwarves-in-training running off across the landscape to pickup the Hunters shot ammo. I may put shot ammo back to forbid automatically to stop this so only the haulers go pick it up after I re-claim (hopefully).

I haven't had the problem with dwarves dancing around the fort entrance but it could be due to having plenty of hauling tasks inside the fort to keep them occupied enough to not bother about the loot lying around. I did however get burial jobs being cancelled when the dwarf caravan was ambushed by a goblin siege last year but I'm used to that happening when the sieges catch lone outdoors dwarves before I can get them all inside anyway.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 11:26:37 am »

Ya, dunno if this was already said, but red lung/ internal wounds never heal..............  But ya, really high toughness makes them ignore it anyways, I once even had a woodworker/axedwarf who got full red limbs, a red lung, and was missing 2 toes and a finger, he wasn't even in bed for more then two days when he got a mood, dragged himself to the woodwork's, built a epic door with a picture of him being ambushed then proceeding to cut the ambushers in half, the legendary status shot he endurance up so much he was walking around on his broken legs for a few months until they healed, wasn't even phased by the lung.
Nom nom nom

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 03:37:00 pm »

So what do you do if you have an injured dwarf whose bed was deconstructed?
Hmmm ... maybe capture some goblins in cage traps, designate an animal stockpile for goblins around the dwarf, and when the traders arrive, have the cages moved to the depot ... the dwarf may then get a job interruption, kill the goblin and possibly cause the game to assign a new "recover wounded" job to him. Haven't tried this though.
Pages: 1 [2]