Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dawn of War: Firestorm over Kronus  (Read 7263 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War: Firestorm over Kronus
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 08:28:24 am »

L4D (I'm not even a fan) is very grimdark and its full of walking dead and doesnt feel that lifeless...

No, seriously, NWN for instance, has the same feeling to it. Can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something up. Something that totally kills the immersion and makes it feel dull.

I really like the mechanics of DoW. It -sort of- counteracts the C&C-like unitspam and encourages (at least a bit more) the tactics side, all I'm complaining about is ... the "feel" of the visual design.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 08:48:34 am »

MY only problem is that the AI seems to be able to make a full-on Ork WAAAAAGH!!! before my Black Templar Neophytes even begin to understand the meaning of "assrape".

Seriously, though, it's good but I can only play as the Orks for some reason. My 'Ard Boyz have won me battles against more SPESSH MUHREENZ then they will ever admit. The Eldar are even worse, considering that compared to my Orks everything in their unit roster may be labeled "squishy".

Of course, if I play against Necrons, then my Orks are totally and unequivocally slaughtered. The Old Ones really suck at bio-engineering sentient weapons of mass destruction, don't they?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:04:32 am »

Eldar are really hard in DoW.  You have to know exactly what every single unit is good and bad for if you want to win.

Also, I saw Firestorm over Kronus yesterday, isn't that a weird coincidence?

Does the game have the full complement of assassins, instead of just vindicare?  I want to go all WRRRYYYYY on those punks.
Shoes...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:04 am »

I have the full box set somewhere for the old DoW.

My favourite race to go was Imperial Gaurdsmen. I really liked the basillisk arty. So much fun to just kill squads of heavy infantry with them. Oh, that and the baneblade. Or Beyblade as a friend likes to call them.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 11:02:04 am »

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little tacky that they hung on "We added Black Templars as a distinct army" like it's as important a selling point as the whole rest of the total overhaul together?  I don't get it.

Actually, the Black Templars were made primarily by a group of fans of the mod. The FoK team found it awesome and the other fans begged for it to get included, so, here we are.

Also, the AI in the current version is an older version. It will be updated in a few days/weeks and then it will absolutely rip you a new one.

EDIT: Cthulhu, I thought they had a Vindicare and an Eversor assassin in the mod. The Vindicare is the only one in the vanilla version.

Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:43 am »

I never was a great fan of the warhammer franchise, but I ... noticed it.

I got Dawn of War for cheapz and I think it's an interesting game.

What I dont get... is people saying how these games look awesome. Dawn of War, as well as the posted video, has some special... dullness to it. I think it's the ground textures combined with the skybox. It just makes everything look like a lifeless, empty videogame.

I'm not asking for any special extra eyecandy, just for a little bit more considerate art design.

Seriously, a tabletop game scene has more magic and life to it than those pc games. As I mentioned, I suspect the skyboxes. Maybe the lighting.

We were amazed at the people fighting, not the terrian.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:16 pm »

A friend of mine is actually working on a variant of the FoK mod, basically just a change to the basic mechanics such that the game does not require so much micromanagement, and permits the player to have many, many more units on the screen.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »

Question: Why are Black Templars important? All I know of them is that they are a moving horde of Space Marines and can recruit as many Space Marines as they desire, thereby becoming the Imperial Guard of Space Marines. Doesn't sound really impressive, actually.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:53 pm »

I never was a great fan of the warhammer franchise, but I ... noticed it.

I got Dawn of War for cheapz and I think it's an interesting game.

What I dont get... is people saying how these games look awesome. Dawn of War, as well as the posted video, has some special... dullness to it. I think it's the ground textures combined with the skybox. It just makes everything look like a lifeless, empty videogame.

I'm not asking for any special extra eyecandy, just for a little bit more considerate art design.

Seriously, a tabletop game scene has more magic and life to it than those pc games. As I mentioned, I suspect the skyboxes. Maybe the lighting.

It's the sync kills that look awesome. And for a RTS it had incredible detail for you to zoom in (most RTS have only enough details to look ok from a distance that is fixed). At least for its time.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 03:49:41 pm »

Yeah, the terrain and sky was a little bland, but I rarely noticed because of how spectacular the combat was.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 03:53:39 pm »

I have some problems with the units themselves.  The animations are great and all, but after a while, except for the awesome set piece fights, every battle looks like a bad mosh pit, with all the models just spazzing out next to each other in a vague approximation of fighting.  I also don't like how much and often stuff clips through models, especially lasers and such.  But hey, there's only so much a computer can handle.

I do think the ground textures could use some improvements.  Everything else looks good even for it's era, but the terrain textures look like something out of 1999.  The skybox is a whole other issue and it does look like ass, but how often do you look at the sky in an RTS anyway?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 03:56:24 pm »

One thing is to look at when the game came out and the kind of graphics that were from that period...   It's another thing to look at the detailed unit models and all the interactions they have with each other...

But it's something completely different when you realize just what the actual system requirements are.  Dawn of War is amazing in that it can provide such a level of graphics with such excellent optimization.  It's just so damned smooth.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 04:12:58 pm »

Yeah, I can run DoW at maximum settings on my laptop's integrated graphics card.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »

After playing FoK for a bit i have to doff my hat to the team; it is very awesome.

However, from a design standpoint, not so much. I see now why Relic simplified the game; the hugely complex unit lists and equipment is fine for the tabletop game where you can spend a couple of hours building your army and then just stamp it out in multiple battles with only minor adjustments, and it works because you can spend those hours carefully going over all the details.

In ~20 minutes of RTS, it doesn't work so well, to say the least. I'm a fairly decent Eldar player, but i can't play Eldar in this mod for shit; too much to do in real time.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:29 am »

Question: Why are Black Templars important? All I know of them is that they are a moving horde of Space Marines and can recruit as many Space Marines as they desire, thereby becoming the Imperial Guard of Space Marines. Doesn't sound really impressive, actually.

Heretic. Execute this man.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4