Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does Mined-out Stone Lying Around Really Cause Lag?  (Read 2280 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Does Mined-out Stone Lying Around Really Cause Lag?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 10:25:14 am »

An easy way to deal with stone is to have a couple of catapults set to fire on repeat with a stockpile right next to them.  It's not incredibly fast but it's automatic.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:04 am »

Hmm. Does masonry alleviate said lag? Or am I just stuck ordering it all thrown into the chasm?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 10:57:01 am »

Does anybody know for sure that building constructions out of rocks doesn't get rid of the lag for them? After all, if the reason rocks cause lag is because  they're causing dwarves to search them for one to haul, then it doesn't make sense that they would still do that once they become walls. Walls AFAIK are created and destroy a stone, and then produce a stone of the appropriate type when deconstructed. it doesn't make sense that walls would clog up a dwarf's item search, if that is indeed what's causing the lag.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:30:54 am »

Walls do not actually destroy their source materials - they'll still show up in Z-Stocks, and if you (f)orbid a construction's building material (whether in Z-Stocks or by using d-b-f) and then designate it for deconstruction, nobody will deconstruct it. Furthermore, if you manage to build a wall out of a material which is on fire (e.g. ‼lignite blocks‼), they'll still be burning after you deconstruct it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 01:20:52 pm »

Following this, going through and forbidding large amounts of constructed stone blocks should decrease lag? Am I following correctly?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »

If you're willing to deal with the stockpile lag since that may actually create more lag for the stockpile.

Although, I have the economic stone thing with the Maydays graphics pack, so I kind of use that rather than forbidding stones.

So the lession here is to get rid of stones in a way that gets them off of the stone section of the stocks screen?

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 02:00:19 pm »

Following this, going through and forbidding large amounts of constructed stone blocks should decrease lag? Am I following correctly?

Depends on what the game is querying when trawling the stone list for jobs, or how jobs are queued.  If each stone is queried each step, and forbidding will halt a full query, that reduces processing time.  If jobs are queued only as needed, say when a stone stockpile space opens up, then it does little in general, though it reduces the one-time search for a suitable stone to fill the task.

What's the evidence that a large number of stones causes lag?  Is it just an assumption (a good one at that), or is it based on empirical observation?  Something along the lines of "I eliminated X% of stone and observed a sustained non-negligible boost in running FPS."

Even more appropriately, what's the evidence that even constructed stones can contribute to this lag?  I know constructed stones are still tracked, but they may not belong to the same lists that are being queried for jobs.  The z-stocks menu is not a clue, as that obviously does something much different, which is trivial to test: open up the z-stocks stone menu vs. designate a stone wall for construction with no possible obstructions on the revealed map (i.e. all loose stone is reachable); the latter opens much faster, but both presumably must search for and classify all stone.  In fact, the former should intuitively be faster, as the stone list should be ready memory, whereas the construction actually has to perform a search on all reachable tiles.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:34 pm »

What's the evidence that a large number of stones causes lag?  Is it just an assumption (a good one at that), or is it based on empirical observation?  Something along the lines of "I eliminated X% of stone and observed a sustained non-negligible boost in running FPS."

Link in the first reply of this thread.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 02:41:39 pm »

Yeah, it's not stone, being more actively used items.  But that's what I meant.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 03:35:31 pm »

I have no evidence whatsoever, but I observed something:

A fortress with 200 dwarves doing stuff is slowish. Same fortress with the same amount of dwarves but more crap lying around seems to be a lot slower.
Pages: 1 [2]