Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Df Computer Specs?  (Read 1204 times)

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Df Computer Specs?
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:38:40 pm »

I am wondering how powerful everyone's computers that they play Dwarf Fortress are. I am running a 1.7ghz Single Core Pentium with 2gb of ram. I stopped playing Dwarf Fortress a few months ago, I was too annoyed at lag. I might start playing again if I can build up my tolerance to it. It seems to happen when I get about 30-40 dwarfs, and that is as big as a fortress as I have ever gotten considering i tend to start over once the lag sets in. So my question to all of you is this. What are your computer specs (CPU and RAM) and when does the lag start to set in? Also how much lag are you able to take? This is just a little survey to see if I should just suck it up because you guys have it worse  :-\
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Df Computer Specs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »

2.4ghz dual core with 8gb of ram, the lagg starts to set in around 130 dwarfs when i get rain or several ambushes on the map at once

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:51 pm »

2.33 core 2 duo, 3gb ram. Macbook pro.

30-50fps at 130 dwarfs in a 5x5 dwarf heaven.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »

Dwarf Fortress does not use mutithreading so dual cores do not make any difference right?
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:37:52 pm »

right but u can assign one core to df only and the other for the rest so it can help

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:53 pm »

Dwarf Fortress does not use mutithreading so dual cores do not make any difference right?
Generally yes, aside from being able to give DF it's own processor aside from everything else.
Anyway.

Dual core 3.2 ghz, 4GB of ram, and a 9600GT, I hardly remember my older forts and their fps, but I can run an 8x10 map at 100 fps with 20 dwarves.

edit: Oh wow, I typoed this post so bad, 3.2ghz, not 2.3.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:30:00 pm by Smew »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:18 pm »

Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4GB of RAM (though XP only sees 3GB, even with PAE), and an 8800GT. My current fortress (8x4 region, 208 dwarves) gets around 22fps, while my last fortress (6x6 region, 275 dwarves) slugged along at about 12fps.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:55:58 pm »

Is there a way to keep my population down? I am thinking that about 80-100 dwarfs is all this old laptop is going to be able to handle without me going insane.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:13 pm »

2.7 GHz Athlon 64 x2, 2GB PC6400 RAM

My largest fort is 101 dorfs in a flat desert with no revealed features (aside from the aquifer, and I don't know what else is on the map), so I haven't really taxed my setup too much, and I haven't even tried to reserve a core for DF to run on by itself.

hmm... built this one over a year and a half ago...

Reese McNerdy has been taken by a strange mood.
Reese McNerdy has taken over a workshop.

hopefully the caravan from the Newegg civilization arrives with requested materials before too much time passes and I am driven insane :P

Is there a way to keep my population down? I am thinking that about 80-100 dwarfs is all this old laptop is going to be able to handle without me going insane.

you can lower your population max and birth/child ratios in the init file (pop max only relates to immigration.)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:59 pm »

Thanks Reese  ;D

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 11:57:05 pm »

Dual Core 4600+ athlon 64, 2 gB RAM

At school, in the computer labs, we have 3.00 GHz i7's. DF runs like a dream on them.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 12:15:57 am »

AMD Phenom 940 quadcore 3.0ghz
2gb ram

Ran fine on my now deceased intel core 2 duo too.

I know it didn't run very well when my friend played it on his older macbook though.

edit: My experience with the multi-core thing is that it is smart enough to delegate everything evenly to the 4 cores. When I uncheck on of the cores, the usage of the others jumps accordingly. Perhaps I am being misled?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:21:39 am by Spreggo »

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 12:40:30 am »

Core 2 Quad 9550 @ 2.83 GHz
8 gb RAM
9800 GX2

I can get up to about 16 FPS on a 6x6 with 340 dwarves.  That is assuming they aren't doing anything.  If lots of dwarves are pathing it sits around 4 or 5.

The effects of low FPS can be negated (somewhat) by doing other things while the game runs.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 03:50:55 am »

Since the OpenGL DF 40d1x the framerate had been improved alot.

my C2D E6550 @ 2.4ghz are as fast as my other A64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz running at 60fps with 80 dorfs.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:15 am »

Magma.
Suicide squads.
The wiki has a lot of advice on keeping your FPS up too.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.
Pages: [1] 2