Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions For Adventure Mode  (Read 659 times)

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions For Adventure Mode
« on: December 07, 2007, 06:51:00 pm »

I know that several of these have probably been suggested before, but I'm just adding in my two cents.

First Aid: Oh, how many times have I been staring at the helpless, unconscious bodies of one of my comrades, wishing I was even a Novice in First-Aid, it'd really help.

Equippable Comrades: Simple as it is, hand stuff to your comrades, let them raid armor and weapons from fallen enemies.

Better Planned Towns: Too much sprawl atm, seen it mentioned before, it's hard to find buildings or shops, you basically have to hunt for them.

Town Minimap: This would be a lifesaver, or just a toggle-able mini map of any kind, period.

Better Commerce System: At the moment it's very counter-intuitive to buy and sell, coins lose value, and it's easy to accidentally steal a merchant's goods and make everyone in a town hate you.

More Interactions: Filling a water skin, cleaning your armor, chopping off the head of a corpse, etc.

The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions For Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DamnedChoir:
<STRONG>Better Commerce System: At the moment it's very counter-intuitive to buy and sell, coins lose value, and it's easy to accidentally steal a merchant's goods and make everyone in a town hate you.</STRONG>

How about something like:

quote:

As you walk towards the door, SoAndSo, Merchant, shouts at your back, "Hey! Are you going to pay for that?"

Just a polite warning. Otherwise the trading system is pretty good. Oh, and the merchant should actually give you the coins, rather than dropping them on the table. That's pretty counter-intuitive.
You might say the system as a whole is counter-intutive, but that's more or less how it works in the real world; pick up what you want to buy, give the merchant your money, leave. Or give the merchant your money, say, "I want that thing over there," pick it up, and leave.

Oh, and something does need to be changed about how coins work. First off, there should be exchange rates between different kingdoms. As it stands, a gold coin, though it is made of gold, is worth nothing outside its home province, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

Also, now with the Appraisal and Negotiator (and the other ones) skills in, those need to affect the bartering process.

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DamnedChoir:
<STRONG>

First Aid: Oh, how many times have I been staring at the helpless, unconscious bodies of one of my comrades, wishing I was even a Novice in First-Aid, it'd really help.</STRONG>

the (T)ravel command kind of spoils this option... Travel would need some nerfing before first aid could become useful.

quote:

Equippable Comrades: Simple as it is, hand stuff to your comrades, let them raid armor and weapons from fallen enemies.

It's their fault if they lose their weapons. Plus there's this rule; it's called "to the leader goes everything"  :D

quote:

Better Planned Towns: Too much sprawl atm, seen it mentioned before, it's hard to find buildings or shops, you basically have to hunt for them.

It would be nice if there were roads connecting the important buildings together

quote:

Town Minimap: This would be a lifesaver, or just a toggle-able mini map of any kind, period.

There is a local minimap... Or do you mean a more detailed map?

quote:

Better Commerce System: At the moment it's very counter-intuitive to buy and sell, coins lose value, and it's easy to accidentally steal a merchant's goods and make everyone in a town hate you.

I agree. I walk out of shops plenty of times and forget to pick up my coins/items.

quote:

More Interactions: Filling a water skin, cleaning your armor, chopping off the head of a corpse, etc.
Cleaning would be kind of tedious, as there's no real benefit for cleaner gear. I'd prefer blood/water coverings to just wash away after some time.
I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

To add to my suggestion, the merchant should give you reminders if you forget to grab your stuff, as well.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>To add to my suggestion, the merchant should give you reminders if you forget to grab your stuff, as well.</STRONG>

That should depend on their personality!  :D

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...