Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Draino - keeping pipes clear  (Read 883 times)

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Draino - keeping pipes clear
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:04:53 pm »

I just found a cave river in my current fortress and am getting ready to tap it. In the past, I've had problems with Tower Caps growing in the plumbing and clogging the water flow, so I'm going to take precautions to avoid that. Currently, the only way I've found to reliably prevent plants from growing is to pave the channel, but I like to play with flow amounts shown, and water on a road is displayed only as ~. What other ways are there to prevent tower caps from growing in the pipes?
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Draino - keeping pipes clear
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:34:44 pm »

If I recall correctly, once the water gets above a certain level nothing can grow in it. So just don't let the water level remain shallow for an excessive period of time.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »

dosnt smoothing prevent towercap growth?
Signature goes here.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:24:18 pm »

Smoothing does not prevent tower-cap growth.

As for seeing the water levels in a paved channel, all you need to do is use the (t) menu and (h)ide all of the building materials you used in each section of road (use d-b-h if there are no other items down there) and you'll be able to see the water levels just fine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00:21 pm »

Smoothing removes mud, is all. Tower-caps grow on smooth, constructed, and even engraved floors.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »

could you just plant farm plots in your pipes since they supposedly block all forms of vegitation?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:50 pm »

could you just plant farm plots in your pipes since they supposedly block all forms of vegitation?
That should work, but you'd have to flood your pipes to muddy them, then drain them to make the farm plots, then flood them again. Pretty inefficient when compared to building a road and hiding it.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:46 am »

You could just make it a stockpile that doesn't accept anything. It doesn't prevent towercap saplings from sprouting, but it does prevent them from reaching maturity.

Not sure if it shows the flow numbers, though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 07:49:23 am »

Farms and stockpiles will hide flow numbers just like a paved road. As I mentioned, though, paved roads can be (h)idden so as to make the flow numbers visible again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:04:44 pm »

Construct a paved road. This is the most cost effective way to prevent trees from growing on muddy ground.

Alternatively, if foot access is not important, you can use fortifications. For example, you can make a 3 tile wide aqueduct with this floorplan:

X=clear floor
F=smoothed wall, then carved into fortification
N=natural, solid wall

NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN
NFXFN

Water will flow through the fortifications. Plants cannot grow there, so there is absolutely no danger of plants blocking the water. Then outside of the carved fortifications is just plain old natural stone walls that contains the water. End result is that it only takes 1 tile of access way, which may or may not be blocked but you get 3 tiles wide of water flow. Also, you produce a minimum of loose stone and your engravers get lots of practice.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:54:04 am »

Seriously.... towercaps grow on CONSTRUCTED floors oO ?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 05:51:14 pm »

I also did not know even constructed floors fell prey to tower caps.

That may be a good thing though for flavor.

Imagine flooding out your entire fortress and draining it before abandon, then coming back ten years later as an adventurer to explore the underground forest that was formerly a mountainhome, now overgrown with vegetation.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod