Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Do we honestly need WAR Every Time Somebody Does Something Unethical?  (Read 6330 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do we honestly need WAR Every Time Somebody Does Something Unethical?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:40:08 pm »

Goodness...

Anyhow as for "Satotage" I think some of you are thinking too dirrectly as in "Against fortress"

Raiding towns, destroying Dwarf Merchants (There is a reason why Nations or mercinaries often created elite military units to protect merchants such as the Knight Templar), Tainting food supplies (Poison a river), burning down the forests around the Dwarves?

Elves could convince the animals to stay away from the fortress and introduce deadly creatures to the land, They could send Skirmishers to harass armies and citizens.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:52 am »

When aboveground diversity gets added in, I can just see the elves waging a biological war on your fort. 

Putting bloodvine spores into the river (or invading with bloodvine seed bags that must be burnt within a time period or they sprout)
Come to your area and torch it (better the trees die a quick death than be tortured at your hands)
Mess with the groundwater (digging an aquifer drain upstream) to make the land infertile...

Many many nasty things they can do. 

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:48 am »

The extent of a civs actions against you should also be influenced by their relations with yours and other civs.

If they are in a losing war with someone else, they might look the other way at your offenses, just because they need your trade (unless you are in the habit of seizing goods, then they just stop trading so as not to lose resources to you).
Their response to unethical behavior then rises according to how willing/able they are to fight you. If they just won some major victories with few casualties, they might still be spoiling for war and just looking for an excuse.
If their civ outmatches yours by enough, they might not even bother waiting for an offense, they would just arrive with an army, declare themselves to be in charge, and start demanding tribute and such (probably more likely for humans/dwarves than elves)
(Also, another civ seizing your fort and putting itself in charge *while you play* could be a whole topic in itself)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »

5) Bribing Nobles To Make Mandates That Will Enforce a Civilization's Ethics (The Baron says, "NO CUTTING DOWN TREES!")

Anything else that could be done?
That would result in cutting down the baron.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 02:56:34 pm »

3) Sabatoging the Fortress (for example, elves can cast spells on Trees to let the Trees Be Able To Defend Themselves)
I think that was actually implemented in the game a LONG time ago, but was then removed. It might be reimplemented in some form when Toady works on magic...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 11:26:19 am »

maybe haveing the elves demaned that the wood cuters be hand over to them?
or that you pay x woth of free stuff to them, set items i.e.X metal weapons , or even a artifact.
if you say no then thay send men to try and take the goods by force of arms.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »

Another form of blockading a fort would be for the elves to tell all the living creatures in the land surrounding it "Move away from this place, it is dangerous for you and your children". This would cause the animals to stay away from your fort, for the plant to stop growing and for the trees to wither away and die.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 10:28:57 pm »

Trees can't move, nor can they choose where they drop their seeds. 

Animals leaving the area doesn't seem to have a downside. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 07:48:34 am »

It's really more like the elves sow your fields with salt.

Forget the trees, even things like rope reed and sunberries won't grow. Vermin fish also might no longer swim in the rivers (screw over shell moods).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 08:23:16 am »

Do we honestly need WAR Every Time Somebody Does Something Unethical?

How the hell is cutting down trees and molesting elves unethical?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 02:20:19 pm »

You're ignoring that the Elves and Humans simply desire war. You cutting down trees isn't a cause. It's an excuse.

I suspect Elves don't really care about trees. They just randomly invent restrictive ethical concepts so they can eat other cultures with Sunshine sauce.

Also, certain tribes today can't be around other tribes in the same region, because they fight constantly. Real or imagined slights, prior murders requiring present vengeance, etc. A never-ending cycle. They simply don't interact except for rare trading, fighting, and exchange of brides.

There is no reason to trust people from another tribe or family. Especially since they occasionally do screw you over. The reasons for this isolation suggest that pre-civilization tribal humans may have acted the same way.

Not to say that dwarves and elves are uncivilized. But a certain murderous xenophobia seems appropriate at least for the elves. That, and they don't build anything and just stand around in the forest sharing needles all day.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54:16 pm »

Peaceful protests would be hilarious.

A ton of hippies gathering around your fort and blocking it? Welp, guess it's time to send in the 10 legendary axedwarves and see which one can slaughter the most elves.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 06:54:06 am »

Right I've had it with this thread. I have a masters in Medivial History from York University so listen up.

1.) Peaceful Protests- these did occur, however they were very rare, far more likely is that it would dissolve into a angry mob, either because of oration from the mob leaders or the fact that European kings method's for dealing with protests was to use force.

2.) Diplomatic sanctions however were far more common, nearly always in the form of trade embryos.

3.)Sabatoge - very viable, assainantions, stirring up rebellions, backing pretenders, full blown lets poison the well or destroy the building was generally only used in a seige.

4.) Not in the modern sense, their would be no leaflet drops to make them turn on their rulers. Missionaires would be the only viable method of this, although tradionally this lacked effectiveness as these missionaires would be very harshly treated, Elizabth I executed Jesuits and Seminary Priests for treason.

5.) Very comman.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 08:51:23 am »

Right I've had it with this thread. I have a masters in Medivial History from York University so listen up.

5.) Very comman.

I would demand a refund from York  :), unless you meant Communication Manager System for Data Exchange for Ship Operations

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 09:04:05 am »

1.) Peaceful Protests- these did occur, however they were very rare, far more likely is that it would dissolve into a angry mob, either because of oration from the mob leaders or the fact that European kings method's for dealing with protests was to use force.

2.) Diplomatic sanctions however were far more common, nearly always in the form of trade embryos.

3.)Sabatoge - very viable, assainantions, stirring up rebellions, backing pretenders, full blown lets poison the well or destroy the building was generally only used in a seige.

4.) Not in the modern sense, their would be no leaflet drops to make them turn on their rulers. Missionaires would be the only viable method of this, although tradionally this lacked effectiveness as these missionaires would be very harshly treated, Elizabth I executed Jesuits and Seminary Priests for treason.

5.) Very comman.

It seems to me that the "peaceful protests" referred to in the first post that mentioned them are the diplomat requesting that the offending party cease, as opposed to a crowd gathering outside to demand something. Besides, given the case of two different nations widely separated from each other, peaceful protests by citizens are not likely to be a tool of international diplomacy.

I too have university level history training FYI.

Edit: What the hell. Why not just say I have a history degree from an Ivy L
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:36:52 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4