Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20738 times)

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
Re: New Survival Contest (ready to start, additional players welcome)
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 05:05:43 pm »

this is the 5th time i'm re-embarking.

Stupid Beak dogs.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 05:16:31 pm »

Don't you love the map I chose?
Nom nom nom

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 05:20:36 pm »

One day i'l kill you for it.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 05:21:44 pm »

You'll have to get out of that beak dog infested hell first... MUAHAHHA
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »

Ah, haha, hahahahah. hahah!
love it. I'm going to let everyone else suffer some more for at least an hour while i roll through the Wiki and some other posts, and check things over. Then I will try it and get it right in one try, embarassing everyone. At least, that's the plan. Props again on the map, kilakin!

By the way, to any newcomers, the rules are clearly stated and all you need to do to join is say that you're interested! Any links you need will be provided on request.

Let's not update more than a year a day, shall we? That's quite a bit of playing anyway, and a hell of a lot of work for the one typing in the data if I get slammed with 3 years from 8 players. 3 week time limit, alright?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 06:39:19 pm »

Did you mod this maybe? I can't even Prepare for Journey, + and - menus seem entirely nonfunctional. Going to load the map into my regular file and try again.

Works fine now, of course. Getting down to business!

Got all set, landed without incident, perfectly safe, then noticed my fort's name was freaking Pagewad. I can do better than a ball of paper, so aborted and am rerunning. Here we go!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:55:27 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 06:50:48 pm »

I'm on a vista, on a vista you have to change the plus and minus signs for up and down to vista's plus and minus signs, in other words, go to the bloody keybinds
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 07:57:25 pm »

I'm on a vista, on a vista you have to change the plus and minus signs for up and down to vista's plus and minus signs, in other words, go to the bloody keybinds

A plug-in keyboard with a numpad helps a TON.
The problem was that I was trying to run it out of the "Bloodline game" folder you sent, when I needed to move it to my regular folder.

Castlecrest has begun! I plan to be a megaconstructor, and use the power of masonry to subdue the surrounding lands.
It was so calm at the landing, I thought I had the wrong map and redid it, then compared to the sample. It's right... but nothing but dark gnomes to kill? gotta be kidding me! Not exciting at all.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:16:52 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

karl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:59 pm »

You can count me in too ! I'm already on the wiki ;)
BTW, the screenshot of the map have an area 5x4 instead of the 4x4.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:11:23 pm by karl »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:59 pm »

Alright, you're in. Will add your name to the Leaderboard. btw, would you like to join our group for multiplayer games on the Wiki? (basically you get your name added to a list where players recruit for games, and the ability to rate other players and be rated). There are no formalities.

Building WAY too peacefully in this "Terrifying" area, why the hell am I facing dark gnomes, mountain goats, and hoary marmots? freakishly boring, and unfair to those who got torn to shreds by beak dogs.

FML, just ran smack into the underground pool right where I spent 15 minutes designing my elaborate apartments. Bring on the lizardmen... bleh!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:39:52 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (running now, more players welcome, see pg1)
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:07 pm »

I'm gonna have to quit this contest, sorry.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 11:33:00 pm »

As you wish, no biggie. Having trouble getting established?

I just had my first fatalities. After beating the crud out of harpies and beak dogs for half a year, I went out to clear up a flock of harpies in order to get water for my dwarves (running out of booze is actually no big deal if you have nice bedrooms, food, and a nice dining hall). I didn't have the pig tail rope yet to make a well, though it was coming within a few minutes. Dwarves were getting thirsty, and after mobbing several harpy flocks with no wounds, much less fatalities, I felt confident of an easy victory and a quick drink before locking the doors for a good while.

However, I learned that engaging harpies near water is bad, because they pick your almost-legendary miners up and throw them in the nearest lake.
The sigs topic:

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:50 pm »

Building WAY too peacefully in this "Terrifying" area, why the hell am I facing dark gnomes, mountain goats, and hoary marmots? freakishly boring, and unfair to those who got torn to shreds by beak dogs.
I'm in the same boat as you. The scariest thing showing up on my units list is a mountain goat. I feel kinda silly now, really, what with the 10 war dogs and 2 westler/axedwarfs. At least i can go for the military award...

Anyway, late spring and I've just struck microcline! Huzzah!

EDIT: spoke too soon. it's harpy smashing time!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:57:33 pm by sarack »
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2009, 12:17:48 am »

I'm pulling out for a few reasons:Yes I'm having difficulty getting started. I'm also playing on 8 different forts right now, and I don't see myself getting to year 5 on this one anytime soon. Also it's hard to keep track of which one is which.  I could list a few other reasons but those are me knit picking/out right bitching.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2009, 12:57:12 am »

Well that makes sense, and I don't think anyone will complain. Less competition! You could always come back to it if you changed your mind.

Can't get into this stuff enough to make it any good, so this will be the last of it you see from me. It's really quite poor reading, I advise you skip it unless you're simply interested in the fort's progress.

"She doesn't really care about anything anymore."
Yes, my expedition leader is female. I'm not. Oops.

13th Opal, mid-Winter.
Dikkens "Beakbane" Odkishiton
Well, this isn't as much of a hell-hole as I was led to believe. Even a few old merchant friends gave us a visit in the Autumn. The wildlife was nothing like the reports stated, "hellish creatures and undead prone to tearing dwarves limb from limb!" However, settling here still serves our purpose. Wanted men can't be picky, and we hit a gold mine here: a reputation that would give Vulcan pause, and none of the actual danger it is so well known for! Not to mention the ground is simply stiff with mineral wealth!

However, the golden start was short-lived. We're all quite keen on living, that's true. So it's no wonder that even mostly unarmed, we were able to combat Beak Dogs, Mole Rats, and Harpies with no casualties; I don't mean to brag but I personally suffocated two Beak Dogs in single combat, breaking their necks. Don't ask me how we did it with no formal training. It's instinct, pure and simple. When it comes to saving our own necks, we don't hold back.

We celebrated well after that, too well. Overnight, we finished off the booze! Well, a dwarf gets thirsty. The miners were taking their sweet sweet time getting to the water, and we needed time to forge a chain or find a rope as well. Seeing a pack of three harpies guarding the nearest source of water, we thought nothing of it. A short skirmish, some harpy-bone souvenirs, and a nice fresh drink.

If these weren't good-for-nothing outlaw scum, I'd feel bad for them. Well, that's a lie. As it is, it's a pain in the ass for your only armed men, two skilled miners and a very talented carpenter, to fall in battle with the odds heavily on our side. Not only that, it's especially bad when they take their tools with them! Who knew those flying hags were strategists? Not caring for their own lives, they began half-lifting, half-dragging the men out over a pond and dropping them in! Of course those good-for-nothing asses cut them up pretty good, but they and two of the harpies ended up at the bottom of the damned pond.

So, no competent miners, 4 people left. Autumn, we stole what we could from the Dwarven caravan (hell, i'm broke!) and FINALLY found a tiny bit  more labor. And among those we "appropriated" from the road, a woodcutter with an axe! Now I have all the tools I need, if not the labor. And the only two people with half a brain for farming are still alive, so the we won't starve.

Well doesn't work. Cistern plan fails, as these thirst-crazed idiots begin using the buckets to take water out of one side of the mostly-empty cistern and put it into another. Gods help me! they also won't go outside to drink. We dug into the heavily infested underground pool and barred it off, allowing a constant flow. If something comes crawling up out of the well on one of these half-useless new additions to our hideout, no one can help them. But I'm sure as hell not opening the gates to let them be devoured by the topsiders if they make a run for it.

What's with all these rotting lizards spreading miasma for no reason?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:00:55 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14