Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20732 times)

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2009, 10:51:39 am »

The map gens just fine in standard, but the creatures are not undead. I am embarking in several locations along the river to see if any other place has skeletons.

Edit:  I did not find another place with skeletal hippos, but did find zombies.  A bit to the west there is an embark site with both zombie fish and hippos.  You can reach stone before you hit the aquifer, but can you reach it and do something with it before the hippos eat your dwarves' brains?  The wagon and dwarves spawn about 3 tiles from the river.

Edit:  I think even if we don't use the skeletal site, I am going to try a fortress there.  I also think I am going to have to go with no cats at this fortress, because they seem to like to visit the hippos, which after they become aware of us tend to come straight for my dwarves desperately trying to dig a basic moat.  The best result I had so far was 6 dwarves against 1 hippo and 1 carp.  The carp was killed.  The hippo was eventually killed.  Every dwarf that survived was missing at least one limb.  The seventh dwarf got killed, as did two of the recruits. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:49:42 pm by Zifnab »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2009, 04:06:21 pm »

Wow, that skeletal site is made of epic win.  The zombie hippos aren't bad either =)

I never start with cats - you'll get one or more in an immigrant wave, so why start the madness yourself?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »

Ditto on Squirrelloid's post.

And to reiterate, I NEVER start with cats. I would rather have dwarves accosted by terrible vermin than miasma 24/7 and low framerate. I curse the day a pair of mating cats i can't cage shows up.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »

My starting cats usually fuel my cat leather and cat roast industry.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:08 pm »

Today! Today! IT ENDS TODAY!

WOOOHOOO!

Alright, turn em in by the end of the night. Then it's time for judging.
The sigs topic:

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2009, 08:32:12 pm »

Would it be too much to ask for people to document their forts on the wiki so i don't need to skim the thread multiple times to try to follow the development of each fort?  (Or flail about looking for final images of each fort at that)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2009, 09:28:28 am »

Anybody home?  Are we supposed to be doing something now?

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:09 am »

I'd say this would be the point where we decide who gets what awards. The contest kinda failed though so I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe The Architect has something organised...?
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2009, 01:31:18 pm »

I'm sorry, but I'm an engineering student and real life has caught up with me. I really want to give more time to this but it's going to be a day or two minimum. Currently for college:

I'm writing and directing a play, we just did a read-through and I have to go back with my co-author and fix the current problems with the script, we have to get our sound director to finish editing music and sound effects, our technical director hasn't gotten his projections set up or even fully selected yet, the set is still in discussion phase, our props aren't ready, our set director left her notes for the set and props with me so that isn't moving forward, one of our major actors doesn't really want to participate and monologues all her readthroughs so that no one else can tell what's happening in the play emotionally...

And I have missed multiple online quizzes I didn't know about so I have to go beg my teacher to let me take them.

And that's just one class. For Calculus 2, I have a quiz Friday on power series and convergence/divergence of all series, also sum estimation and the difference between absolute convergence and plain old convergence.

And I have 6 hrs worth of physics homework due online in 4 hours, and I also have a class during that time and I have to arrive at Lake Martin in 3 hrs and 30 minutes for...

Scuba diving so that I can get certified so that I don't have a 3hr class failure on my transcript.

So, anyone mind waiting a little bit?

EDIT: typo fix
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:38:34 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2009, 04:33:01 pm »

Don't mind waiting.  I'm currently recovering from the swine flu.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]