Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20731 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2009, 02:51:01 am »

Could you define WAD for me?

Yes, there are ways to get around the food issues with gathering, and the brewing/cooking exploit. I honestly don't see what the rule adds. For the new players of course it would probably mean death. To me, the challenge of creating a small walled area overland is trivial. The rules as stated don't prevent you from simply hiding your dwarves underground for a little bit until you have a safe area. After you have a safe zone, it's just a matter of logical expansion in the ways you need. All it would do is eat time building above ground and hauling crap. I think the only people who would be challenged by this are the same people who can't deal with 4 beak dogs at embark (even with permission to restart spring as many times as possible).

Forgive the snipe, but really. We signed up to fight zombie sasquatches and skeletal effing trogolodites, and people were getting stomped by half a beak dog pack.

To continue, I encourage you to start a branch-off game or something of the kind if you want an aboveground challenge, or we can collaborate and I'll fling all the support I can your way. As far as the LL mod, I don't WANT to abuse DF that way, but a huge hole in vanilla DF (imo) is the inability to crank up the difficulty when you want to. I want a hard embark, and I have to search like the dickens for two weeks to find one, which may actually turn out to be nothing but undead gophers, skeletal bunnies and some harpies? A simple addition of difficulty in our game would be enough for me.

Even the orc mod isn't guaranteed to present a challenge, as it's not uncommon for the orcs to not survive generation when you finally find that perfect map.
I agree it would be fun to toss something like the clothing challenge in there as an achievement, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with surviving or associated difficulty on a hard map. For instance: the wood challenge (as impractical as it turned out) was supposed to force players into the enemy-riddled overland to chop trees, or go through the logistics of making a large functioning tower cap farm in a short time.

It turns out none of this is even close to an original idea, which I discovered while looking at the DF Masters Challenge. One idea from it that I liked was nominating judges before we begin. When we open the new thread, I will ask for volunteers and get everyone's opinion on it. Then I can simply manage the logistics and let the judges hash out technical difficulties with the rules in situations where I might be biased.

*you posted while I was typing this absurdly long post, so in response:
Sound like interesting individual challenges, but unless we upped the play time it would only present distractions from surviving and thriving. Not having a permanent military is pretty difficult when considering the leveling dwarves do while fighting. A hero can't be un-heroed, and unless accidental hunter battles are the only kind you have then you will have military heroes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:53:19 am by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2009, 04:01:30 am »

Almost over? Here's my save then.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2009, 06:11:01 am »

WAD = Works As Designed

If you can find a map with skeletal trolls and zombie sasquatches, i'm there.  The worst things i've managed to find are skeletal sharks and zombie fire imps.  Ok, the zombie fire imps weren't that exciting - they were most annoying when they *weren't* attacking and just causing miasma to spread into my forges from out of the magma hole.

Encouraging black fabric does mean making the player (1) gather plants to find sliver barb, since you can't buy it from any merchants, and (2) grow above ground plants.  So the first part is a smaller version of the chopping trees in a dangerous environment (shorter duration - once you have some you can plant your own.  Of course, you don't know how  much area you'll have to search for some, and your herbalist isn't usually carrying an axe like your woodcutter is).

Re: militia - well, if you eventually get some military champions, i suppose you can 'retire' them by stationing them out of the way somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:16:56 am by Squirrelloid »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2009, 04:39:48 pm »

Has anyone taken a look at the relentless assault mod?  It looks like it could up the challenge without adding massive amounts of stuff. 

I've found one 4x4 site with six pages of skeletal fish, another with skeletal fish, alligators, and deer where the wagon starts next to the river.  How would you feel about a site that is heavily forested, but has no magma.  Unless we find coal, it would definately encourage the need to go outside for fuel/interaction with the undead.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2009, 05:13:46 pm »

So I embarked at a 3x3 cave site...no river, aquifer, plenty of trees, no magma.  It starts with a minotaur, skeletal and zombie trolls, and spawned skeletal and zombie horses on embark. 

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2009, 05:32:44 pm »

Ooooh. Sounds fun. Even if we don't use it, I would like to have a peek at the cave site. Would you mind a link or sharing the generation info? From the discussion in Talk 3, all of DF is about to become MUCH more challenging! It includes multiple levers of underground on all maps, and magma will become more of a standard feature deep underground than something only available at vents. At that point, this whole idea will become more practical as well.

Time to go to the Discussion page and suggest that a whole tree not be used to make one lump of coal.
The sigs topic:

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »

It seems like almost any evil cave I go to in this world, the creatures are undead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:40 pm »

Finished at last! Spent all year preparing to flood my fortress, so I didn't really achieve that much. Killing the king seemed to have a pretty big effect as nobody but nobles migrated to my fortress all year. A dragon showed up too, which was Fun. It managed to dodge 5 ballista shots before getting thrown into a dry moat and mobbed by champions.
Ballistas:
Charging the dragon:
The soldier who scored the killing blow on the dragon has quite an impressive record. He wields an artifact bone warhammer and an artifact adamantine mace in the same hand and killed 8 frog demons when I opened the pit.

Statistics time!
Popularity: 94 - 15 = 79
Savage kills:
Total: 168 inc 97 named (I included goblins, etc in named count)
Stats:
Will post save if anybody wants it.

Whether it was planned or not, I think that it's truly epic that at the end of the 5 years, the age changes.

I wouldn't say that this contest was a failure - it may not have been as difficult as we expected, but it was still pretty fun to compare how everyone was using the area they had to work with. I'd say if you're organising another, perhaps go with a mod like dig deeper. That or set the location on an evil beach. That way you're going to get zombie fish at least, which can be a pain.
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:34 am »

Got plenty of evil volcanic beaches in my folder. Also, Dig Deeper probably wouldn't ruin my volcanic beach generation formula. The only issue is that I can't seem to get HFS there. A volcanic mountainous coast almost never seems to happen on the edge of an ocean without being a valley in the mountains, which contains a dwarven city or no civs at all.

Does Dig Deeper include some things that heighten difficulty?

All the evil brown oceans I generate tend to have Calm coasts. Then again, with Orcs you don't have to worry about finding tough opponents. The thing is: no HFS, no pits, no chasm, no cave, no GCS... A lot less options for our playing.
The sigs topic:

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2009, 03:45:13 am »

Does Dig Deeper include some things that heighten difficulty?
Oh, yes.

[advertising]
Consider this: when you first started playing DF, you would struggle with food, tantrums, even goblins. Then you got better. Dig Deeper makes DF so hard it's like starting again, from the orcs that seige in autumn first year to easier tantruming to new monsters that can single-handedly murder your entire fortress. If you want to play DF on hard, use Dig Deeper. It's pretty much perfect for a contest like this, really.
[/advertising]
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2009, 04:06:07 am »

Nice. I think I would personally like to have a first year caravan, but if that's part of the mod then so be it. I find even with nice traps, orcs tend to disrupt/ruin trading. Just can't dispatch the little buggers fast enough to clear the path :)

Dig Deeper sounds like a nice compromise between vanilla and over-done (imo) mods like legendary lands. Will review it in a bit, and I encourage others who are thinking of joining the contest to do so as well.

Oh, and I think you have to be a County to have an adamantine king, which may explain Squirrelloid's issue with the king not showing.

A couple of questions for people here: have you noticed that bridges and mechanisms connected with them need not be magma-proof, or am I witnessing a bug/exploit?
Do flootgates need to be magma-proof? I have noticed that doors don't.
The sigs topic:

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2009, 04:38:51 am »

Oh, and I think you have to be a County to have an adamantine king, which may explain Squirrelloid's issue with the king not showing.

A couple of questions for people here: have you noticed that bridges and mechanisms connected with them need not be magma-proof, or am I witnessing a bug/exploit?
Do flootgates need to be magma-proof? I have noticed that doors don't.

Actually, my king came well before i was a barony/county.  It just took a little over a year.  I think the location was far enough from the mountainhome that it took time for the news to reach him. =)

Objects only need to be magma proof if the magma can enter its square.  So if you *open* the door, and its not magma proof, then you have a problem.  While its closed it doesn't matter.

Maps:
If you can find one with skeletal hippos or elephants, that would be made of win.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:42:54 am by Squirrelloid »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:31 am »

Skeletal elephants... mmmm

Will put some more effort into it tomorrow.
The sigs topic:

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2009, 08:34:59 am »

How does a sinister ocean (admittedly not much of one), a cave with 2 cyclopes, and magma, and sand sound?  Cave also has ratmen, giant rats, and giant cave swallows.  Land beside the cave is kinda boring, but the ocean has skeletal cod! (ouch)

Or how about...
Ooh, magma, *no trees*, cave with 4x zombie cyclopes, lots of zombie trolls, giant rats, and ratmen, zombie hoary marmots outside cave at start.  Its all zombie all the time!

Also:
Sinister mountains, magma, cave with 6x Giants and handful of trolls

Or 5x zombie giants, lots of zombie trolls, open magma with 4x zombie fire imps.  Now that's quality!  (Sinister mountains and a pool, in theory)

Note:
Semi-mega beasts are happy to stay in caves for awhile.  Undead semi-megabeasts will head straight for your dwarves.  5 zombie giants looks a lot like a death sentence.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:22:15 am by Squirrelloid »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:14 am »

I just spawned a world with the relentless assault mod (and it might work with unmodded df as RA only mods in some extra civs, will have to try).  The site I found has:
81 skeletal carp
55 skeletal hippo
11 skeletal stingray
7 skeletal saltwater crocodile
6 skeletal alligator
10 skeletal bonobo

No magma, but plenty of trees, sand, and an aquifer above any stone.

Undead semimegabeast sound pretty nice as well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:25:38 am by Zifnab »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14