Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20730 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (running now, more players welcome, see pg1)
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2009, 12:38:33 pm »

I am finished.  All the relevant information (and lots of pictures) can be found on the wiki here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Squirrelloid/BL_Survival_Challenge

Summary Data:

Meals: 2301
Popularity: 120 (125 - 5 dead)

Kills: 252 (288)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There seems to be some discussion about what actually counts.  I've parenthesized the ones that seem rather unlikely to do so.  2 beak dogs killed by traps, most of the demons (~25) killed by cave in, otherwise everything killed by military.

Mega Beasts: 2 (Dragon, Hydra)

HFS: bought the T-shirt.  (Cleared 24th of Galena, year 2)

Mega Construct: Cathedral - please see wiki for pictures

Raw Wealth:40,960,444
Artifacts: 12
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Artifact Raw Value (sum above): 11,348,400
Artifact Display/Wear Value*: 6,802,800
'True' Wealth (minus total artifact value): 22,809,244

*all worn or displayed (built furniture) objects count their value twice, once for the item itself, and once for the wear or display value.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:44:26 pm by Squirrelloid »

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2009, 01:49:40 pm »

All the relevant information (and lots of pictures) can be found on the wiki here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php

You mentioned that you couldn't get the entire cathedral into your images in 3d-dwarf. You can expand the viewing area in that program by pressing p. However you'll probably be better off using visual fortress, which is a newer and more advanced 3d visualizer that can be found here - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39541.0.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2009, 08:00:11 pm »

Hey, if people want to do this again, are there any map features you would like included?  I'm not going to have much time to play over the next few weeks, but I can start genning worlds to see if I can find anything to use.  I'd personally like a site that is more of a survival challenge.  Evil/medium savagery ocean with no sand, an aquifer, and no trees?  Maybe a glacier?  A young world with the embark at a cave known to contain 2-3 megabeasts?  Let me know and I'll start looking. 

Unless someone else already has a good site?

@ Squirreloid

Not bad.  Not bad at all. 

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2009, 01:07:13 am »

That would be very nice. We saw all the features on the map, and the "Terrifying" label and took it at face value. As much of a challenge as you can line up without taking the fun out of it (ie, a glacier with no resources is just boring. All we would need to do is build a bunker, with nothing exciting to do).

Looks like Squirrelboy has a lot of useful information to bring to the game, and is really quite a league beyond the others playing here. Breaching the adamantine in year 2 doesn't hurt, but that doesn't come close to accounting for the difference. If there are things you'd like to see in the next challenge, let us know.

Will update everything on the 29th, be sure you all have your information in by then, and we'll work on selecting winners for the various non-mathematic categories.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2009, 12:19:29 pm »

Ok, my wiki page now has Visual Fortress images.  I like how it renders colored tiles.  I don't like how the ramps are even steeper.  (Link in my last post)

I also wish the visualizers would render ramps upside down when they have a ceiling above them and nothing below them, but maybe that's just me.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »

Suggested game settings:
High evil map
abundant wood
aquifer

Special rule: No construction of anything from the (b)uild menu underground except for doors and (M)echanics.  Underground is defined as a tile showing as subterranean with loo(k).  Yes, that includes farm (p)lots.

New awards:
*Reknowned in Song: Player with a dwarf with a legendary social skill.  Tie goes to the dwarf with the most legendary social skills.
*Black is the New Black: Player with the most worn black clothing
*Age of Legends: Player with the most legendary dwarves (only counting skills which have a workshop - legendary pump operators need not apply)
*Master of Crafts: Player whose dwarves produce an artifact from the greatest number of different workshop types.  For these purposes, magma versions of shops are the same as non-magma, and tanners workshops are the same as leatherworks.  (ie, should be able to be assessed from the artifact list).
*Legendary Persona: Player whose dwarf has the highest skill level in a single skill.  (requires dwarf companion or similar to assess, as will likely be far higher than legendary +5).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:17:39 pm by Squirrelloid »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2009, 07:06:50 am »

Interesting. I wasn't even aware we could make black clothing. This map actually was maximum evil and savagery, it just seems that there is such a thing as a map that is labeled "Terrifying" and contains nothing dangerous. I do have a world consisting largely of volcanic heavily forested ocean shores, the Ocean is terrifying, and the coast Calm. In Orc mod, with no rock above the saltwater aquifers.

So it's completely possible to do exactly that. I don't understand the point of not doing anything underground. So you want to create a no-stone, no native metal challenge? I guess what you're asking for is a human fort in an aquifer area? As per your suggestion, there would be no screw pumps allowed, which humans can't build without dwarfs bringing screws, and thus the only ways to break through an aquifer would be to get lucky with the cave-in bug or have a volcanic shaft...?

Let it be noted that the original point of all of these challenges and the competition in general depended on the presence of a supremely evil local wildlife, which we just didn't have. Thus none of the goals were truly challenging. I am thinking Legendary Lands mod or something similar for the next challenge, as it's so hard to get a truly challenging map on demand in vanilla DF. Challenging players by arbitrary restrictions seems to me to be the worst way to do it.
The sigs topic:

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2009, 09:05:46 am »

Um, wait, why can't you build screw pumps?  I'm confused.

Also, its not a no stone/metal challenge, you can certainly mine the stuff if you can get to it.  And you can even designate stockpiles below ground.  What you can't do is build beds, chairs, tables, workshops, farms, etc... below ground, so you'll have to build (and defend) all of that above ground.

A purely above ground fortress is more challenging than a below ground fortress, all things being equal, so if we also combine that with nasty wildlife, it leaves you with a lot more work to do to secure your dwarves while the wildlife tries to kill you.  Ie, fun.  Of course, finding a site with actually nasty wildlife is a necessity - skeletal animals would be ideal, although i've seen one map which has random ogres wandering through, which isn't terrible.

Black clothing requires black dye - which is made from a plant only found in evil biomes.  Of course, we'd have to confirm the site actually had such plants.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:17 am »

Sorry, no time to play DF now :( Count me as loser :)
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:28 pm »

I've found a 3*4 site that has lots of trees, sand, magma pipe, an aquifer, and a stream with a 2z waterfall down to a major river.  I tried running it for a season just to see what might show up, and saw skeletal deer and fox as well as the large amount of skeletal fish that were there when I embarked.  The map is also flat except for the rivers if that is a concern.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2009, 03:09:51 pm »

I've got a 4x4, although really it could be arbitrarily smaller, with a magma pool, lots of trees, 2-layer aquifer, sand, skeletal animals (saw deer, fox, cougar), and sliver barb (black dye).  Not the most impressive skeletal animals, but with that set you might see skeletal wolves or elk, which would be more frightening.  Its terrifying, so you might see some savage creatures as well.

A magma pipe makes it way too easy to penetrate the aquifer, although the infinite nature of the magma makes it more convenient for awesome mega projects.

Zifnab, does your map have sliver barb (do some plant gathering?) - if so, the skeletal fish alone are enough to make me say that's truly a better map, because skeletal fish are scary.  I can't wait to see 'job cancelled, interrupted by skeletal carp'.  We can always specify 'no penetrating the aquifer by digging through the obsidian coating of the magma pipe'.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:17:47 pm by Squirrelloid »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2009, 04:48:24 pm »

I'll check later today about the silver barb.  I believe my site's magma pipe does not come above the aquifer.  It's at least not exposed.

I did find another site with a skeletal sea serpent, ogres, harpies, etc.  But it has pebble beaches that you can dig into to get plenty of stone.

I tried taking on the sea serpent with my starting 7.  Killed it, but it permacrippled two of them, and injured 3 more.  I'm trying to find a place that has whales, hippos, elephants, sea monsters, salt water crocs, or alligators that are undead, but no luck yet.

Update
I'm checking what plants are in the area now.  Lost the initial 7 to fish.  Lost around 50 of the reclaim squad to berserk dwarves/fish/skeletal cougar.  Doesn't help when a squad of marksdwarves goes berserk together.  Hopefully I will be able to tell on the second reclaim.  So far I have gathered all types of plants that would be expected except the silver barbs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:35:02 pm by Zifnab »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2009, 01:28:34 am »

No buildings below ground means no screw pumps to empty the aquifer? Unless you just channel out the ground above them, but you could do that with anything (thus negating any point I see in the challenge except for exasperating its already labor-intensive nature). Most of the evil beaches I have contain no stone above the aquifer, and the others don't have any evil civs nearby (finding an evil beach next to evil HFS-riddled mountains with no hostile civs is common for me). Of course someone else may have better luck. Also, as far as I know, you can't build beds nor tables outside, nor can you designate meeting areas, bedrooms or dining rooms from them if they exist on non-subterranean tiles. Am I missing something?

I understand the challenging side of it, but this is a survival challenge, so making it harder to survive, not harder to play, is the idea. The difficulty in accomplishing our goals should come from that factor. I find it no different to build within a walled area on the surface than to do it below ground, only more of a pain in the ass for players who want to pursue a different style or want to use the surface and subsurface for other megastructures. I guess what I'm saying is that I am categorically against a surface-building rule. This is a survival challenge, not a restricted playstyle challenge. We can have another thread for that. I want players to have the freedom to be as creative as they want in an extremely adverse environment.

Please start generating with the Legendary Lands mod, as that seems to be the best way to guarantee a hard time surviving. Sure it's a kind of "everything plus the kitchen sink" mod, but it will provide the challenge we need. If someone wants to piece together a mod with a lot of its challenge that better preserves the nature of vanilla DF, please go ahead. If you want a black clothing challenge, that's fine with me but it seems extremely arbitrary, like coming up with who can have the most eaten sunshine roasts or the most legendary wrestlers. It will likely be unofficial. The other ideas sound much more interesting. Another note on no building below ground: feeding dwarves on skeletal beasts and whatever seeds the later caravans may (or may not) bring sounds a little ridiculous.

Your challenges seem significantly artifact-heavy, but since that's one of your favorite aspects that's no surprise. And it is refreshing to find a way to bring in that feature of the game without further unbalancing the economic contest. It may be fun to create a social-skill heavy dwarf, though as far as I know all that requires is designating a single meeting room and keeping a dwarf with a suitable personality idle for 5 years? I tend to shoot my leader to legendary in bookkeeping and dabble him in something useful for artifacts, then employ him as a lightspeed hauler.

Would you consider displayed wealth counting double as a bug? It really looks that way, and if we come to a consensus on that we should implement a rule regarding it in the next round.
The sigs topic:

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2009, 01:43:42 am »

No buildings below ground means no screw pumps to empty the aquifer? Unless you just channel out the ground above them, but you could do that with anything (thus negating any point I see in the challenge except for exasperating its already labor-intensive nature). Most of the evil beaches I have contain no stone above the aquifer, and the others don't have any evil civs nearby (finding an evil beach next to evil HFS-riddled mountains with no hostile civs is common for me). Of course someone else may have better luck. Also, as far as I know, you can't build beds nor tables outside, nor can you designate meeting areas, bedrooms or dining rooms from them if they exist on non-subterranean tiles. Am I missing something?

First, you have to channel out to puncture an aquifer, because you need to have an area to build your stairs, not just water to pump.  2nd, screw pumps are a (M)echanics option, so the rule as presented allows you to build it underground.

beds, chairs, et al.  require they be built 'inside', not UG.  So building a roof over the desired location is sufficient.

Edit: One could just channel everything down given the rules, but this makes your fortress more vulnerable, and arguably has less style than building above ground.

I understand the challenging side of it, but this is a survival challenge, so making it harder to survive, not harder to play, is the idea. The difficulty in accomplishing our goals should come from that factor. I find it no different to build within a walled area on the surface than to do it below ground, only more of a pain in the ass for players who want to pursue a different style or want to use the surface and subsurface for other megastructures. I guess what I'm saying is that I am categorically against a surface-building rule. This is a survival challenge, not a restricted playstyle challenge. We can have another thread for that. I want players to have the freedom to be as creative as they want in an extremely adverse environment.

It does increase how hard it is to survive, because it increases your exposure to the environment.  Tunnelling underground is one of the best ways to increase survivability because its the fastest way to restrict access to your dwarfs, and thus makes them much easier to defend.

Please start generating with the Legendary Lands mod, as that seems to be the best way to guarantee a hard time surviving. Sure it's a kind of "everything plus the kitchen sink" mod, but it will provide the challenge we need. If someone wants to piece together a mod with a lot of its challenge that better preserves the nature of vanilla DF, please go ahead. If you want a black clothing challenge, that's fine with me but it seems extremely arbitrary, like coming up with who can have the most eaten sunshine roasts or the most legendary wrestlers. It will likely be unofficial. The other ideas sound much more interesting. Another note on no building below ground: feeding dwarves on skeletal beasts and whatever seeds the later caravans may (or may not) bring sounds a little ridiculous.

Not sure how interested i am in leg lands.

Black dye is so rarely use i thought that was more entertaining than not.  Also, many people mostly ignore the clothing industry, so it gives an incentive to diversify and use dwarf-hours doing that instead of other things.

You can always use gather plants to get plants, which you can brew/process, and then use the seeds you get from that to start your farming.

Your challenges seem significantly artifact-heavy, but since that's one of your favorite aspects that's no surprise. And it is refreshing to find a way to bring in that feature of the game without further unbalancing the economic contest. It may be fun to create a social-skill heavy dwarf, though as far as I know all that requires is designating a single meeting room and keeping a dwarf with a suitable personality idle for 5 years? I tend to shoot my leader to legendary in bookkeeping and dabble him in something useful for artifacts, then employ him as a lightspeed hauler.

They were intended to be in addition to the previous awards, not the full set.

I have never actually seen legendary social skills, although i haven't tried.  But i do have a fortress in its 21st year.  (Admittedly, they keep pretty busy).  Getting one in ~5 years will mean not using that dwarf for other things, so if you choose to do so, you're passing up on other opportunities.

Would you consider displayed wealth counting double as a bug? It really looks that way, and if we come to a consensus on that we should implement a rule regarding it in the next round.

Maybe, although it has to be WAD because there'd be no reason for it to exist if it didn't.  It is something for people to be aware of if they're maximizing wealth.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:30:27 am by Squirrelloid »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2009, 02:42:49 am »

Different concept, possibly for a different challenge game:

Militia:
*No permanent military
*No traps
*Most/all dwarves carry weapons (and possibly armor) as civilians

Some other award ideas:
Some Like it Hot: first player to build a magma workshop on the (original) surface z-level
Engineer: Largest total area of aquifer cleared
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14