Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20734 times)

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (running now, more players welcome, see pg1)
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2009, 07:24:23 am »

Finished year 4. Pretty uneventful - the biggest thing was my beginning of a massive moat/wall around the entire fort. The king came and 'left' and a few dwarfs died. Oh, and I got 2 legendary craftsdwarfs from moods. And a legendary warhammer. Sweet.

The king arrived and tantrumed (killing a guard!!!) because I couldn't magic up a royal set of rooms. I don't take kindly to my soldiers being killed, so I gave his majesty close-up view of my new hill-removing project. He even volunteered to pull the lever!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stats:
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

Kelsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2009, 01:11:57 am »

End of year 3.  I did not quite finish clearing the pit or the pond, but got close.  I'm going for milliatry might, and my only losses this year were from training accidents,  and two poor saps who tried to collect webs at the same time I was clearing the pond.  I've never built a single trap and am not planning on draining the pond I'm going old-school for this one, brut force.  I found the adamantine, but didn't unlock the HFS (yet)  once I finish the pit and pond I'm going to go ahead and test my millitary verse the demons.  Prolly could use a few more marksdwarves.

Here's the stats.
Total hostile Kills: 61

Deaths this year: 2
Bringing my total populatiry to 34 (49-15)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:14:42 am by Kelsa »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:38 am »

Cool. Ever cleared a demon pit? You might not want to try it with your current military.

If you don't care for advice, ignore the following. I probably would.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Kelsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2009, 01:23:44 pm »

Never done it before and my schedule just got forcibly moved up.  I underestimated how tall it would be... it was 4 stories tall and I accidently broke through on the top and wasn't able to reseal it before froggies jumped my miner and eat him.  New plan is seal all entrances then make some fortifications, get a sacrificial animal, (very possibly dwarf) and have the demons com into my shooting gallery

Kelsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2009, 03:00:27 pm »

Yep totally wiped.  I missed a kitty corner enterance and the demons poored in.  didn't stand a chance.

So yeah, I'm out.

(edit - added below)
I think I many have found a bug too... My last guy won't die.  He is missing both his legs at the knee and one of his hands; but the baddies' won't kill him and he hasn't been hungry or thirst for over two full seasons.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:53:39 pm by Kelsa »

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2009, 11:17:11 pm »

Yep totally wiped.  I missed a kitty corner enterance and the demons poored in.  didn't stand a chance.

So yeah, I'm out.

(edit - added below)
I think I many have found a bug too... My last guy won't die.  He is missing both his legs at the knee and one of his hands; but the baddies' won't kill him and he hasn't been hungry or thirst for over two full seasons.
Maybe it's a sign from armok not to give up hope? Either way, I do hate to sound condescending, but you probably should have gotten a larger military before tackling the HFS. It's incredibly hard to beat demons head-on without legendary soldiers in full plate, lots of clever tricks or both. I suppose you didn't really have time, though, since you struck it accidently. Better luck next time!

For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:21 am »

I'm jumping into this.  Already made it most of the way through year 2 and cleared the HFS.  My progress is documented on the wiki: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Squirrelloid/BL_Survival_Challenge

Going to have a lot of work recalculating my wealth to remove artifacts though, since my two artifacts are worth ~2million dwarfbucks.   Edit: Ok, other people don't seem to be removing their artifact wealth, which is weird because the wiki said something about it.  But I maintain I've earned those crazily valuable artifacts, especially the second. =p  (You try forbidding all stone in your fortress except raw adamantine while the guy who claimed the farthest possible mason shop walks across the whole fortress *3* times to get some - really screws up your industry).

BTW, i struck adamantine like 3 seasons ago and the king hasn't shown up dressed as a peasant - what's going on?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:56:17 am by Squirrelloid »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2009, 04:15:32 pm »

Starting the summer of year 4, starting to get worried i'm not going to finish my megaproject. 

Also, not a very exciting map, for all its supposed to be 'terrifying'.  I mean, the harpies can be annoying, but otherwise? Meh.

In 6 artifacts I only have a single one worth less than 700,000. 

Although my mood distribution has been strange.  Figure my fortress is about evenly split between masons and non-moodables dabbling in armorsmithing, with a few other professions.  Moods: 2 metal crafters, gem cutter, bonecarver, 2 masons... I would have expected an armorsmith by now...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2009, 07:04:22 am »

I think there are extra factors involved with the king. My Queen took a while to show up, and I think there's a war on with one of the dwarven civilizations. Also, you knew the rules on artifacts. If you feel you wasted your dwarfs' time forbidding stone, I am truly sorry. But there's no way the rules are changing for a late competitor, when everyone else played by the original ones. Some of us created more wealth than you early on, and didn't get half as many moods. I got a megabeast instead. It would be highly unfair to base more of this than can be avoided on luck.

And the reason others aren't being asked to recalculate their wealth to remove artifacts is that they aren't even in the running for the economic competition. I'm not either, anymore. When it comes down to you and Zifnab, you'll have to each remove your artifacts to see who wins. If I'm still up for third, I'll have to do the same. For the others, it's irrelevant so I guess no one saw the need to bug them about it. Notice those who have not given accurate non-artifact counts have a posted (?) beside their stats on the board, as in every other category where their counts are not explicitly explained.

For my personal opinions on dwarf wealth, well...

If you want the same old explanation, here it is:

You clearly disagree and you continue to state it. But the rules won't change, and a happy competitive attitude would be better than sulking about it. We all played by the same rules, you're at no disadvantage. If you think basic subtraction will be a problem for you, we can help.
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2009, 07:07:59 am »

I hope it doesn't come across too harshly, this is supposed to be fun. But seriously, enough complaining about the artifacts.  It's gotten irritating.  Due to jumping on that adamantine so early, you'll probably win anyway, so why the need to press the artifact issue here and on the wiki? Are you really worried about people with under 2 million total wealth not removing their 300k artifacts from the count?
The sigs topic:

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2009, 10:45:47 am »

Architect, you may have noticed that the first post by me here predates our discussion on the wiki, and the wiki discussion was hardly conducted by me in the spirit of altering the rules for this particular competition (the only comment to that effect was tongue-in-cheek, after all).  I was just making a point that there's really no need to exclude artifacts.

The second post has no complaining whatsoever.  Its just commenting.

I will happily remove all my artifact wealth when all is said and done.  I was just greatly confused in my first post here because no one else seemed to be adjusting for artifacts at all.

As to your general economic complaints, I will note that metalworking in general is pretty high-reward.  This map just discourages it because the magma is really limited, and hard to get to.  Well, i suppose you can stud with metal without using fuel, but otherwise using metal is just awful because you consume fuel like crazy.  But I bet a (non-adamantine) metal economy with magma could compete with turbo-food production wealth.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:57:53 am by Squirrelloid »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2009, 11:25:27 am »

Finally finished year 5.  I spent most of the year finishing up my entrance which had been neglected since year 1 and trying to train up a military/royal guards/fortress guards.  I have now lost way more dwarves to training than any enemies.  This year featured two goblin sieges, and a hydra appeared on the 1st of Obsidian. 

Bim went up against the hydra alone, didn't get scratched, and killed it with a single blow, causing it to fly into our fortress walls and splatter.

My single cook has managed to pump out 3244 prepared meals. 

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2009, 11:55:41 am »

Casualties:
7 Dwarves
1 Human Merchant
1 Human Representative
2 Human Guards
1 Wagon
1 Muskox (merchant)
19 War dogs

Kills:

Total 277

Did we ever decide exactly which kills count?  I've got quite a few dark gnomes and wildlife dead, and don't think they should count, but mole dogs, snail/slugmen, giant rats, etc could go either way since they can attack.

If we decide to go with grand total dead creatures not allied with merchants or dwarves my total would be.

Total = 420
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:01:23 pm by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:14 pm »

These are my artifacts and their values:
Total wealth 6536060
Total artifact wealth: 1335000
Modified total wealth: 5,201,060

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2009, 05:30:22 am »

Well Zifnab, you're way out ahead either way, so congrats. A metal economy is what dwarfs do best, so that's not too surprising. The insane amount of fuel consumed comes from the current system where one whole tree makes only a lump of coal. From what Toady has said about partially consuming materials, this may change. A real blacksmithy with 4-5 blacksmiths working full time goes through a large tree in about 2 days (family vacations to Williamsburg taught me that). Of course forging a decent suit of armor can take weeks or even months as well, chainmail being much more difficult and time consuming (as well as more effective in battle except against bolts and heavy weapons).

As far as what creatures are savage: I suppose that's somewhat subjective. But when we consider that we were supposed to be fighting savage undead, I think it is pretty clear that cowardly snail men and the like are hardly savage kills. Really, hardly anything on this map counts as savage in my opinion. An unarmed, untrained dwarf has the advantage in one-on-one combat. I suppose harpies, beak dogs, and our hydras are as close as it gets (granted, hydras can be pretty nasty, but we both killed them in 1 hit). Consider Beak dogs versus trogolodites, and it's almost silly to think of them as a challenge. There have to be at least as many of them as your dwarfs to do real damage. Harpies are only dangerous near water. Great Eagles can be bad, or die instantly. In 5 days the contest is over and we can compare our kills and stories, perhaps coming down to a vote for the winner.

Honestly the award for killing the savage wildlife is pretty silly when we have no real savage wildlife. We'll just have to come to a consensus over it as a group. The economic and popularity awards are the only ones based on clear-cut numbers.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14