Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20743 times)

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Survival Contest (running now, more players welcome, see pg1)
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »

Year 3 is done. Looking at the thread I've noticed that my Mega project has ended up being very similar to TauQuebb's, although I started construction before he posted the details in the thread. It's a regular pyramid instead of an inverted one, and it's only one component of my self destruct system, instead of the entire system, but it is kind of a strange coincidence. In other news the goblins have been out in force, I've gotten three two squad ambushes this year. Luckily my military was more then up to the task.

179 Meals

kill count:81
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »

So.... Yea your Adamantine industry means you'll probably top my economics. I'm effed right now because my moat somehow got into my rim-channel (the thing that forces caravans to use the road) and now things move at 12FPS. That's one step per second in dwarfdom. It's impossible to realize where the labor shortage is coming up and fix it due to everyone moving in hellish slow motion! I blamed the kitties, but after flinging a few into the abyss I realized the truth. It still felt DAMN good to get rid of some of those miasma-producing fleabags. I don't mind real cats, they eat their rats and lizards if you don't, after offering them to their owners, but these things leave them stinking in the middle of your main hall at least three times a month and pissing everyone off. It's a constant miasma from the tortured, broken bodies of their victims then didn't even want to eat in the first place. Anyway...

Crawling to a screetching halt, will finish very quickly in about two hours when I get from early Autumn to Winter, stop the waterflow (glorious ice!), and run out of time before my adamantine wafers become anything useful. Of course anyone building their economy solely off the adamantine has everyone beaten, it's not even a contest. I may put up a vote that you have to clear the HFS to count your adamantine in wealth, and see who supports me :)
(working on clearing mine, but flat out of time. took me 4 years to find it)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:03 pm »

So.... Yea your Adamantine industry means you'll probably top my economics.

I don't really have an Adamantine industry. I have a whole 5 pieces I uncovered by accident that I still need to figure out what to do with, and I'm not ready right now to take the risk of digging out more. I'm not actually even close in economy as half of that value is from a single freak artifcat that doesn't count in the actual scoring.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2009, 04:45:58 am »

My bad Linthar, looks like through coincidence my reply was posted just after yours. Actually seeing your report for the first time now, looks pretty solid. My third year arrival was a freaking megabeast (you aren't supposed to rack up near 1mil that fast), so as far as the ambushes go, count yourself lucky :) If you found the Adamantite, my suggestion is that you mine it. If you breach the wall, you are given a little time to patch it before the demons come pouring out, and it will reveal the location of the entire pit to you (so you can then mine safely without piercing it again). This was my first Adamantite/HFS and I'm still scared sh*tless of letting 40 assorted frog/fire demons in!

Anyway for various reasons that could be spoiler-ish in relation to our map and competition, you should mine it in my opinion. Wish I'd started before year 5! Zifnab's stats scare me, considering how fast his Adamantine production will zoom when his extractors gain experience. Will get on the updates a little later, still sloshing through my painful 10fps waterflow problem, 8 hours and not through with Autumn yet. It's hell.

Freaking milker ate the livestock, of course. Again. And the Wiki is incorrect; you can't Forbid the animal, at least not with an unbuilt trap, or they won't milk it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:51:46 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2009, 05:29:45 am »

In the early spring, at the time of the first thaw a small group of frontiersmen set out from a thriving mountainhome. "Sure, we had everything we needed," their intrepid leader recounts. "But we wanted more than simple dwarven comforts. We wanted adventure, independence, and maybe, I thought we might find a little chance for glory."

There was little time before their charter was up -merely five years- but they had sweet freedom, and an unbridled wild countryside potentially rich with natural resources was theirs for the taking. With freedom to command the group as she saw fit, Dakost's natural leadership and creativity came out. She had a plan, and she took hold of the countryside and shaped it as she saw fit, taking what she needed of its forests, chipping away at its subterranean cortex, taking what she might and shaping well as a dwarf ought, never letting her strong dwarfish greed push her too far.

Luckily she was one for redundant planning, and her party was composed of adventurers nearly as intrepid as herself, not the weak peasants of the mountainhome. Early they met the land's savage inhabitants, and early they put their steel boots across the beasts' throats. With their natural dwarven stamina and tenacity, they quickly dispatched many of the creatures who aggressively threatened them. Sadly, their untrained dogs charged the beasts haphazardly as she was laying out the stockpiles, and died alone in bizarre, suicidal fits.

As they established themselves, and dug for their well, she noted several key miscalculations in her preparations: Had she known of the land's mineral wealth, she would have invested in an anvil rather than an axe and four of the cheapest picks, and she had foolishly forgotten a rope for the well! Such things are not as easy to come by as they may sound from the comfort of your home. "The rope posed a serious problem for us. Luckily, there was plenty of time to grow our crops, and nice rich loam to do it in. However, we were barely established when we got the first word of trouble." She was speaking of course of utilizing locally grown plants to weave into rope --a clever strategy, if risky.

But the fairy tale beginning was not to be. It was her woodcutter who brought the news of trouble. Some harpies were gliding about above the local lakes, making drinking a perilous task at best. "Had I been wiser then, we'd have left them alone and gone to the next nearest source of water. However, our booze had given out and we weren't about to hide in a cave from a few flying hags. We'd killed their kind before, and worse, so we knew we could do it again." But as Dakost had never faced harpies near water. Having seen her untrained men slay beak dogs and harpies unwounded in single-handed wrestling matches, she felt confident this would be no challenge. Accordingly they banded together and set out.
The sigs topic:

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2009, 08:52:23 am »

My five year mission is complete, but there's so much left to do. It felt like the entire year was spent hauling stone around, but the brook froze before I finished the statue garden in the old pool chamber so I still don't know how the waterfalls are going to look. The main wall is still short. I finally discovered adamantine, but not until 5th Obsidian. And fortress wealth grew more slowly this year; I only barely made it over 2 million. Still, not a bad year.

The court arrived in spring: baroness (soon countess), consort, tax collector, hammerer. Now dwarves are not going to get away with ignoring the mayor's insane calls for crystal glass goblets! Migrants arrived in spring, summer, and fall; it's almost a duchy. Caravans all traded without problems, there was very little goblin activity. Maybe the sight off all those champions in steel plate scared them off.

Three moody dwarves during the year created a cat leather sandal, a picture jasper animal trap, and an oak chair. At least I have something I can install in each of the royal chambers now to give an immediate quality boost. I'm not sure that an animal trap in the dining room sends the right message, but they're dwarves. It can be a purring maggot lunchbox or something.

EDIT: My fortress map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7237-weaknessfortress-bloodline

Stats image

Popularity: 132 current - 12 dwarves lost = 120. Nice round number.

Total kills looks like 169, give or take. Detailed kills:

Looking forward to the next contest. Meanwhile, I may as well crack open the HFS and see what's in there.

EDIT: I did go ahead and break open the HFS. OMG. Dude. DUDE!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:33:32 am by barconis »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2009, 12:10:41 am »

29 frog demons and 11 fire spirits appeared in mine before I sealed it off again. Bleh. Fighting them up close with champions in mastercrafted adamantine mail would still be suicide; they gang + annihilate soldiers one at a time. No thanks! The only hope is to find a way to let a few out at a time, and considering bridges won't operate with them onboard and they destroy doors, that's looking like more than I can handle. Before the end of the 5th year I hoped to drop the ceiling on them, but the 10fps lag has made that impossible.
On the bright side (militarily) Champion Swordmaster Nish won the slugman-batting contest, sending his second try 76 dwarf paces. Good God. Besides being a High Master Wrestler and Legendary Swordmaster+5, he has fifteen notable kills spanning three years and 24 other kills. He is known for having faced an entire squad, including a goblin hammermaster, and annihilating them in single combat (wearing Steel, not Adamantine), tossing them around like ragdolls.

Still in midwinter, with 15fps now (killed some kitties). Not sure what the huge drain is unless it's that stupid HFS pit, considering I stopped the liquid flow. I need a good year to prepare before killing it, so sitting through this BS lag while they twitch over and past each other by the dozens is looking to be more than I want to do. Going to try luring them into a big room with a 10-level drop beneath it and letting out the floor. The cave-in trap to kill 1/2 of them or so is completed, but with this lag even linking the supports and opening the pit is probably more than I can do before time's up.

Oh, just noticed Sodel, my Legendary Spearmaster+4 with 42 kills, his squad mate for the past 3 years, is also his lover. Cool!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:13:30 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:21 am »

Of course while this was going on a double goblin ambush happened, killing a peasant out gathering wood, then taking out 12 restrained war dogs in my entrance hallway before my otherwise occupied military could arrive.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:44:18 am by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:20 am »

@ The Architect

I was down to about 12 fps before clearing the hfs, but am now back up to 22.  I noticed a boost up to about 19 after the ceiling drop.  Good luck.  Especially with the fire spirits

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2009, 05:11:04 pm »

I have about 20 military dwarves, and 10 of them are married with children, and since they are champions, I just have to deal with the child shields......... Only year 3 but I got a huge migrant wave that was completely useless, 10 peasants and 8 animal trainers, stupid dwarves and their love of repeated professions.....   On the other hand my Armorer made an artifact shoe, so I now have a legendary Armor smith, to bad it wasn't a useful piece of armor, on the battle note, had my forth amubush and one of my swordmaster champions decided to take it on single handed, she killed 10 before the goblin spearmaster mangled her foot and broke all her toes, funny thing is that her toughness is maxed out so her foot and toes completely healed before someone manged to move her to a bed.  The goblin spearmaster was killed by my hunter, yay him!! :D
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »

Well, with Zifnab's example in mind, I'll consider sending in dogs as meat shields, and my 4 champions (not a lot, I know, but I went for extreme quality, not quantity, and I was going for economics) along with my other trained soldiers, some near-champions, and all of my haulers (cross-trained as Wrestlers to make them haul faster) and miners. After dropping the ceiling on the demons in the pit, then dropping the rigged ceiling on as many of the rest as I can manage, it shouldn't be too bad. Just have to match their numbers if they get through. The other problem is that the rigged ceiling requires a sacrificial animal to detect them as they enter the room. I hate to do it, but I guess chaining my last female kitten there will do the trick :'(

Hell, who am I kidding. I might love kittens, but in-game kitties make me want to end cat life as dwarves know it. Missing my cat now.

Anyway, the kittypult (probably not an original name at all) has been operating nearly nonstop since late autumn. It's done now, and the miasma hell has quieted now that my haulers aren't too busy to clean up after the rest of them.

Looking at Toeink again, preimplosion. It's freakin beautiful. Trully, my friend, you are a contender for the style and megaconstruction awards. My own efforts pale in comparison.

On the bright side, my tomb complex drops (whole) into the underground pool with just a little channeling. A proper dwarf burial! Only possible when carving from living rock, so limited to one z-level.

Peasants = love. I'd trade all my children for 5 haulers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:50:56 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »

14th Obsidian,
Beakbane:

The Countess decided to send her pet Hammerer (more like executioner) after my second-best Mason today. Been here for four years, responsible for half of her luxuries and a good fourth of the fort's construction, and that bastard decides she doesn't have enough large cut gems. It's not his fault the Gem Cutter has been at it for 3 years nonstop and hasn't learned to get it right yet.

Well, she beat the Mason into a coma (FOUR hammerstrikes!), and I'll be damned if I let her do it again. I had to drag the poor dwarf to a bed myself. I'll wall her in, cut a hole in her ceiling and drop a stack of masterful meals and a barrel of Sunshine in on her. More than that asscap deserves, but she IS a noble after all, not a half-bred greedy bastard like her mistress. She's simple enough to remain quite happy, alone among her luxuries, and the Countess has more than enough goodies -what with the waterfall just outside her door- to keep her happy without her pet bashing my best dwarves' heads in.

-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, it's possible to use 9 magma smelters/forges without opening the pit in a way that releases the demons (assuming you can use 1/7 deep magma). My plan to do this was foiled by a stack of 3 stone where I needed to build my stairs, and not enough dwarves to haul it away for dumping before the time limit is up. Of course ideally you'd move your whole smelting/extracting/forging operation right up beside the pit, but when you finally decided to clear it that would be a hell of a mess.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:00:02 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2009, 06:09:45 pm »

I think magma has to be at least 4/7 in order to use it for a smelter or forge, and at 1/7 it'd dry up quickly anyway. So it'd be tricky to squeeze more than two in without cracking containment.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:30 pm »

ya it has to be atleast 4/7 and at one it dries up in a second or two anyways.
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2009, 07:49:05 pm »

Oh, well then you couldn't have any without breaking containment, and only 3 if you did. By the way, for kicks and giggles just dropped that ceiling trap. Cost me only 2 dwarves, for 21 demon kills! However some dumbf* of a legendary+5 miner insisted on charging the fire spirit, even though he was a civilian, with "pickup equipment" on, since he had waited until he completed the mining job to drop his armor. A double-bug fiasco that cost him his life. Whatever.

21 demons! I call that a success, and stylish! Now if the rest will just come down the ballista hall...
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14