Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)  (Read 20733 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
New Survival Contest (drawing to a close)
« on: October 07, 2009, 07:21:53 am »

*Edit: the page with all the information you need and the Leaderboard is here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Bloodline:SL_Survival_Challenge#Current_Rules.
This is a Succession League game; members will rate other members on their performance, and in this game awards will be given out democratically.*

Looking for players to start individually in an evil, savage tiny area and compare forts after 5 years. Good old fashioned stuff. If you die too quickly, Oops.

No maximum # of players. Will give out seed etc when we are ready to start.

Awards for:
Sheer Style
Smiter: Evil population control (bonus if you somehow manage to attract and kill a mega in this time period, bonus for style such as outdoor flooding traps, balista chutes, etc)
"Noble Aspirations": Have the largest and best-satisfied nobility, with style!
MegaConstruction
Merchantilism: Most Wealth
Popularity: Population count minus dead
North Korea: self-destruct switch, taking out the enemies with you!
Military: pretty self-explanatory. Kill, up close and personal! traps are for cowards!
Defender of the Peace: Don't allow merchants to die (will be damn near impossible, i know) or provoke war with human/elven civs
Ronald McDonald: Food/farming
Woody Allen: Wood-related production (with an unsafe surface? good luck!)

Oh, and your fortress has to SURVIVE to win awards. If you're sitting on 17 insane elves and a wealth of 3mil at the end, I doubt anyone's going to consider you a winner.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:55:18 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
Re: New Survival Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:12:33 am »

I'm in.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:50 am »

May try it in weekend.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:27:59 am »

show us the map! :D

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:50:36 pm »

New and exciting ways to die? Sign me up!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »

Neat I'm in... definitely doing the up close and personal approach.
Nom nom nom

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »

I'm in

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:41:17 am »

Awesome. If you don't mind waiting a day or two, I'm currently organizing the new Succession League (link to follow in thread) and that needs my attention.  As for the map, our economies won't be very impressive nor able to accomplish great goals (megaconstruction, etc) if we don't pick something with the right resources. I'm thinking a chasm in a Terrifying place will generate the correct survival challenge, and a magma pipe or at least pool (hopefully full of fire men!!) will boost the economy enough to accomplish great things in the 5-yr limit. Of course a river would allow more tinkering, and an underground river makes the Wood challenge more viable, and also challenging (5 years isn't much time for tower cap farming, to supplement what you may or may not wrest from the topsiders).

So, if anyone has a map they'd like to suggest I may fall back on it, but in the interest of not giving anyone an advantage I will begin rolling maps as soon as the League page is up.

Updates will be at your discretion; while posting an update for each year within a set time period would keep people honest and in sync, we will be competing on the same map, so requiring people to reveal their discoveries and inventions would not be fair. I do not expect this to last more than a few weeks. Anyone wishing to nominate other categories for competition is welcome to do so, even as the thread progresses.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:43:24 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 04:20:14 am »

I would love to take a crack at this, been after a challange, I will do some 2x2 map scouting tonight.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 04:44:45 am »

Thanks! help is appreciated. I said tiny, but to get all the features we want, we may have to go as high as 4x4. As close to 2x2 as possible and no larger than 4x4, please, for anyone who wants to help us look.

Also, here is the link to the new Succession League! http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Succession_League This will help players host games, find games, and find players of the appropriate type for their games. With its organized format, you'll have no trouble finding exactly what you are looking for. Admittedly the forum is a great place to grab random players, but as far as searching for a game and/or screening players it's terrible. I will continue using this forum as a way of communication and posting updates, but a large number of recruits will come from the League' and the rules, a list of players, description of the map, and screenshots will be redundantly posted there as well.
The page for joining is currently in this forum: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42976.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:54:44 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:19 am »

Hell, the ever-dependable Wiki went down in the middle of my editing. Oh well, don't be fooled by the "broken link". Just give it a little while for the server to come  back online, then you can follow the link above.
The sigs topic:

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 07:25:44 am »

This sounds pretty fun. I'll join if I have time.
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:50:55 am »

No special effort required. If you like, I can add you as a member and list you as Inactive or post a date at which you wish to play, like Barbarossa the seal God has done.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:59:19 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 12:03:32 pm »

hows this for insanely evil, savage, HFS, pit, underground pond?  Completely random too, I love the finder
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:07:16 pm »

Found a 3x2, river, magma pool, Terrifying area. Seems about right, now if someone would just tell me a good place to host it the file...

On the other hand, while I was typing this, Kilakan found something possibly much nicer. What is the minimum size you can drop it to, and is there magma involved? Without large quantities of wood or magma, 5 years is not long enough to build much of an economy. We would be limited by who got lucky and had their stonecrafters hit moods.

On the other hand, we could extend the limit, and add a Demonslayer award. I tried to find HFS with magma and Terrifying surroundings, but it's not working out so well even on my special evil-only map.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:10:33 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14