Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game "League"  (Read 10821 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game "League"
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:33 am »

The guy running it (me) has multiple conflicting responsibilities. I'm working full time and studying mechanical engineering at Auburn.

It was found out that this needed some dedicated programming, when at first we thought we could run it on the wiki. If we could have run it on the wiki it would still be going on. The bottom line is that I don't have the time or skills needed to set up the software we need to do this, and there's no one to help with that part of the project. So the long and short is that I can't follow through with it.

We have (had) Toady's full support, and we had a lot of people interested (close to 50 when I suspended it). But unless someone has the time and skill to do a few hours of pro bono programming, it's not happening.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »

What exactly do you need programmed?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58:13 pm »

What exactly do you need programmed?
Are you offering to help? If so, I'll lay out a detailed plan of what we need. I'll also look back at our record of posts and PM's and see what we have in the way of hosting space, or if Toady would be willing to host it on Bay12. He was willing to link to it at the least.
The sigs topic:

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 07:52:24 am »

A list would help, It would be a shame to see this idea die completely.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 08:19:21 am »

We need registration and login forms, requesting Bay12 username, magmawiki username, and email if I can't get exemption for the PM restrictions on the forum. We need a way to later interact with and edit this information. It would be very nice to have it track IP's, so that if someone builds up a bad name for themselves they can't continuously create fresh accounts and thus hurt the community. If Toady has a way of using the Bay12 registration directly for this, that would be ideal.

We also need a database to track game data and player data, and various forms to input the data (a standard format allowing players to simply utilize text input for game hosting and peer reviews). The forms need to be easily usable for the average player. We need an interface for viewing the information (so various display formats, from simple grids of player statistics to more complex game descriptions containing links and individual separate pages).

We need a hosting site for all of this, although unless we archive it, it should take up little space. All discussion will be done in PMs or emails. Possibly a comment system on individual game pages, but it must not be abused for conversation.

We need a way for players to establish their own games and act as host, and a tracking system for activity (last page activity **/**/**, last host/moderator activity **/**/**). We would need a way for the host to cede editing privileges to other players.

We need to be able to use simple HTML code for use in the pages, links, and various text displays.

We need detailed organization for the games to help players find them: a separate listing for each gametype and something along the lines of color coding to show if a game is active, inactive, completed, or officially dismissed. A search or filter with the host(s) able to utilize various tags on their game would be ideal.

Come to think of it, we would need to be able to filter players by last activity. It would be nice to be able to filter them by other things such as preferences (quickly find someone to fill an empty spot in your freestyle megaproject community game, for instance).

We need a program that automatically runs basic coded functions based on player feedback. If 6 out of 10 players returned reports for this game and 5/6 said they found a player's inactivity to be a problem, it must be converted to meaningful statistics for hosts looking to run a game. It must then be easily accessed.

The whole thing must be tactfully done, down to the wording that specifies "All statistics are according to peer reports, and may not reflect the actual character of the players" or somesuch in order to avoid offending people. Toady isn't gung-ho about anything that "rates" players in such a way that it can cause hurt feelings and various problems for himself and anyone else involved. For that reason we would need to tread carefully where appropriate.
The sigs topic:

Rivet

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nothing Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2010, 10:38:05 pm »

Hey, I'd like to join. Been a while since I've played a good succession game.
Hopefully you check this thread on occasion.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2010, 02:23:00 pm »

Honestly, the same hangups are still present. We don't have software to provide the services this was supposed to support. I'm not a even a part-time programmer; I'm an engineering student with a high workload.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]