Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game "League"  (Read 10817 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game "League"
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2009, 02:04:17 am »

Competative and if your 'rank' / 'score' drops too low you can be denied access to some of the games.  If you completely bomb 100% of your games (after 10?) I'd suggest being able to be banned from the league. Simply because It would show your really not that into it.

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2009, 02:23:58 am »

I'd like to opt in on this, if I'd be allowed to.  I have what I'd consider to be a good deal of experience with DF, though a lotof it has been with a heavily modded version thereof, and most of THAT has been with above-ground-style forts.

I'd eventually like to do a succession game with the modset I'm making (a few of my own inventions cobbled together with minerals and plants pilfered from other mods), though that's dependent on me getting the thing to some semblance of working order, and thus is a little ways off.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2009, 01:14:33 pm »

I'd like to join this league, I'm ready for a bunch of succession games.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 09:18:49 pm »

Alright, give me a  bit of time and you'll all be added and updated.

Currently, League policy is only that we rate players, and others choose to include them in their games or not. You can continue to be a member if you bomb your games and/or quit and are late for every turn, but your stats will reflect that and no one will want to play with you. That's the point of the ranking system.

As far as an official mod, that would be cool, but we're not going to restrict what kinds of games players can host. We will have officially sponsored contest games however, like the Survival Contest, just for the heck of it. And the winner can have a nice little award of some kind.

BEFORE that, however, we have a very important problem and we need to decide how to deal with it. Currently, the Wiki is a very inefficient and overall inadequate hosting location. I have also had serious problems contacting the mailing list what with the limit of 10 players per message, 20 messages per hour, etc. Just chopping my messages up, and having rejected messages count toward my limit of 20, has made it hell to even try to PM everyone. I need to ask Toady to remove some of my restrictions so that we can get things moving along, and his help and advice with setting up our game hosting system.

Also, hosting and setting up our first bloodline and looped games is keeping me a little busy. If anyone would like to volunteer to host a looped game, please post.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 09:44:27 pm »

vanilla df i assume?  I can host one just lemme gen a few maps and I'll talk to you about it on msn if you've got a few mins later.

I've also been putting together a database/backup of mods on my computer and have been attempting to play games on each of them so I know what goes on in them.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:24 pm »

Excellent! I think you're moderator 2, if no one has objections, and you want to be :)

Sent the email to Toady One and Threetoe, so we should expect a response soon. I only hope they aren't too inundated with fanmail and game requests/questions/advice to read it and take it seriously. I can't see how they can fail to take it seriously if they read it through, but it's quite long including a full description of our policy, goals, and requests of them. Which are:

1. Shooting for the moon, a headlining link from Bay12: "Multiplayer" leading to our site.
Our site will list games and members by Bay12 forum name, individual pages for each game (linking to downloads and back to their Bay12 forum thread), a page of mods (helpful info about them, and links to more info and downloads), a list of maps and seeds (hopefully fully generated maps for download, as generation differences can make seeds a useless resource), and of course the roster of members and their stats.

2. Our secondary request, the only one likely to happen quickly, is to sticky this thread.

Dante, looking forward to talking this over with you and anyone else who wants to join in, msn live: music_lover73_at_hotmail.com. The odd format is to stop bots and net crawlers from picking up my email, just replace _at_ with @.

At this point, either they go for it or don't. If they do, we're seriously in business. Either way we need a host site, someone with some programming ability to help with interpreting and posting stats (Briess offered his help, but he mentioned a benchmark of around 50 players. I'll talk to him about it), and someone who can help format and link the webpages on our site. A temporary host would be fine; we can always export the League later.
The sigs topic:

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2009, 10:34:42 pm »

we'll def have to talk, Meanwhile its late and I have work tomarrow so i'm out for the night.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »

Just saying that I won't have very much time for a while.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 11:07:16 pm »

Alrighty. Your Activity status still lists you as away until November 2009, if you need it changed let me know or feel free to do it yourself. Still waiting on a reply from Toady.
The sigs topic:

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 11:49:39 pm »

Make that the end of November 2009.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vicas

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Yargle
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:12 pm »

Well, on that spambot note I'd like to join. I mentioned it on the wiki but I'm just making sure you know.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2009, 06:29:06 am »

Thanks, I haven't been on the wiki in a couple of days. It looks like private messaging won't get through to Toady and Threetoe, so we'll have to go through the Suggestions area.
The sigs topic:

jokim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2009, 12:43:00 pm »

I would love to join this as well!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2009, 05:00:45 pm »

I also want to join.

although I've never participated in any succession or bloodline games I would like to.

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2010, 09:35:58 pm »

Whatever happened to this idea?  J/w.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6