Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Doesn't care about anything anymore" the end of the Tanrum Spiral?  (Read 1906 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Doesn't care about anything anymore" is the result of witnessing death a lot, correct?  From what I've read it makes it so that when someone dies the dwarf is not negatively effected.  I understand butchers, soldiers and hunters get "witnessed death" in their mood if they have killed something, but is it possible to get it when something dies nearby?

Also, isn't the main cause of depression/tantruming the death of loved ones?

Here is what I propose!  Expose your populous to death.  Lots of death.  So much death that they all no longer care about anything anymore. Half of your mining team can cook in magma and no one will so much as blink an eye!

At first I was thinking it should simply be a matter of locking them into a room with bred wild animals and setting them to hunt.  This leaves too much to chance, however.

Instead I'm thinking of mass pittings down multiple z levels, the bottom of which is a room full of dwarves.  Perhaps half the fort can be locked in there while the other half pits.  Because of my experiments with dwarven drop pods I know that animals and dwarves falling directly on other creatures do not get harmed so the landing zone for these animals should remain clear some how.  Obviously if the dwarves are locked in there they will not attempt to haul the bones and gore created in the process.... can you zone an area in the middle of a room so that dwarves do not walk there?

Anyway, a few hundred dogs or so and I figure mothers will be unfazed by their babies being consumed by orcs...

Perhaps when you get new waves of immigrants they can be hurded into this room and indoctrinated.

(edited to clarify)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:15:08 am by Vicid »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: "Doesn't care about anything anymore" the end of the Tanrum Spiral?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 02:14:59 am »

One thing I noticed, when I had a butcher shop at the same level as my craftshops(lack of space, felt lazy), a lot of dwarves got "has witnessed death" after a while. I think it was caused by the butcher shop being on such an open space, that whenever Urist went to place that stone idol to a bin, he saw that stray kitten that had wandered the hallways one last time befoCHOP.

And that's why butchers don't care about anything anymore.
But I think that pit idea might work too.

Also, I don't think "doesn't care about anything anymore" negates bad thoughts, just dampens the effect of it. They still could go sad if something horrible enough happened.

Although who cares, there's more dwarves where those came from. Test it out, for SCIENCE.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:17:10 am »

IRL prevents me from doing it myself.  For the time being I am merely able to propose ideas and hope someone picks it up.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:05:55 am »

You could have the drop area in the middle of your main meeting hall and blocked off with clear glass. Dwarves (in theory) will still witness the deaths and gain the uncaring quality.

Will watching stray dogs go splat negatively effect dwarves mood until they obtain the uncaring feature? And how much of a negative effect?

EDIT: By the way, how do you plan to keep all the strays gathered on the drop platform?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:39:00 am by Hortun »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:26:52 am »

Yeah, put the pit above your main dining hall and surround it with glass windows (and maybe a forbidden door to get at the bones). Vertical Bars, a channel, or fortifications would probably work as well.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:21 pm »

I've never even managed to have a tantrum spiral. At worst, my dwarves get wiped out by goblins, but no self-destruction.

I think it has something to do with how I crack down on idlers with a vengeance; everyone's always got something useful to do.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:07 pm »

Glass walls are identical to stone walls for purposes of line of sight. Players like using glass because they imagine that it's clear, but gameplay-wise it makes no difference. I suggest using wall grates or fortifications, or just marking the drop zone as restricted for pathing.

To my knowledge, anything that you can see through but that can't be walked through can get "flying" items stuck in it, like the limbs that explode off of corpses when they hit obstacles. So if you do use fortifications/grates, I hope you like miasma!
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:24:29 pm »

To my knowledge, anything that you can see through but that can't be walked through can get "flying" items stuck in it, like the limbs that explode off of corpses when they hit obstacles. So if you do use fortifications/grates, I hope you like miasma!

Even glass windows? Glass windows block arrows unlike say fortifications so I think they'll also block chunks.

Note Glass window is not the same as a wall built with a glass block.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:35 pm »

Yeah, but can you see through a glass window? I've never tested, nor heard of anyone testing, if it's possible.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:12:43 pm »

Definitely.  Way back in my old 2d fortress, I had some goblins in an otherwise inaccessible room with glass windows; any civilians who wandered past would cancel what they were doing and run, while military dwarves would sit and stare, even to the point of starvation.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 05:11:23 pm »

I can double-confirm. I used glass windows for my barracks so that the military could spar in an enclosed room but still automatically go after invaders that they see.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.