Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dual Wield  (Read 1343 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Dual Wield
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:49:00 am »

Heyas,

I notice in the soldiering window you can specify nymber of weapons. Does this work? (never seen more than one on a dwarf) And can you get them to dual wield?

thx.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dual Wield
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

I think that's just an option to have them hold a backup weapon; dual-wielding is possible, but I don't think you attack with both weapons.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:16:00 am »

Actually this is a very good idea. Dual wielding weapons and attack with both sounds interesting, and should be in the game. Less defense but more damage output.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:24:00 am »

Likewise, I'd like to see monsters with multiple limbs be able to use them.  What's the use of a giant threeheaded firebreathing dog if it can't bite you with all three sets of teeth at once?  Furthermore, the Hydra should be a lot more dangerous that it currently is.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

I'd like the idea of having dwarfs actually use 2 weapons at once. You could get a dwarf, give them 2 weapons and no armour and use them for turning attacking goblins into a fine paste.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:11:00 am »

Dual-wielding would be overpowered right now I think. Not that the system is currently so well balanced anyways, but a 2nd attack in the same space of time is way more useful than a shield. Attacks in DF can be super-deadly and the armor user\wrestling\agility would more than compensate for the lost shield.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 05:21:00 am »

Strangely, when I play adv mode I really feel the success/fail rate is randomly configured to a set hit/miss rate regardless of what you do and what you use (i.e., I don't feel like I have any control over my successes and fails).

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

As it stands, a secondary weapon right now helps with parrying.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 11:21:00 am »

Well, I think the a good use for dual wielding would be to give you crossbowmen a sword so that when they run out of ammo and run towards their targets at least they will be able to do some damage.

[ June 30, 2007: Message edited by: Arnos ]

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

Compared to how powerful ranged piercing weapons are, I don't think dual-wielding is out of the question.  If it is implemented, I think there should be a new skill for it, and success would be determined by that skill, your agility, and your strength (If you can't lift it in your off hand, it's not very useful).

As long as people can't start out as dual-wielding masters of doom-bringing, it would be a grand addition to Dwarf Fortress, in my opinion.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

Also, the inability to use a shield would make dual weilding a risky option as you would do more damage but you would also take more damage.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

It should be pointed out that the fantasy RPG convention of "two weapons=two attacks!!!1" really wouldn't fit in Dwarf Fortress' "realistic" combat anyway.

In reality, for those styles that do wield a weapon in each hand, it usually has more to do with defense than offense; one weapon is used to parry and defend the body, while the other is used to attack.  Additionally, two weapons allow you to threaten in two places at once, which limits your opponent's actions and makes it harder for them to defend; the mere fact that you could, at any moment, switch to attacking with the dagger in your off-hand serves as a distraction, even if you never actually swing or stab with it.

But you can't just hold a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other, then flail wildly with both to try and attack twice as often.  That's silly.

[ June 30, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 05:39:00 am »

I think that someone stated that if your dwarf dual-wields he will improve much faster (if both weapons are the same that is) in that skill...possibly cause of the parry ability as well I suppose.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

Hmmm, makes me wonder if they implement dual-wielding, whether or not it should also factor in a separate dual-wield/ambidexterity skill?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>But you can't just hold a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other, then flail wildly with both to try and attack twice as often.  That's silly. </STRONG>

And why not? If I wish to adopt the elementary school dual-windmill charge who are you to stop me (from dying)?

quote:
Originally posted by Arnos:
<STRONG>Well, I think the a good use for dual wielding would be to give you crossbowmen a sword so that when they run out of ammo and run towards their targets at least they will be able to do some damage. </STRONG>

You shouldn't be able to dual wield with most ranged weapons, but perhaps in the future it'd be nice if dwarfs\others carried multiple weapons and switched appropriately.

Lastly, to clarify my earlier post, I'm all for dual wielding but I think weapon balancing should come first. (Also, I think it'd be nice if we had more shield variety and bucklers were usable with 2-handed\ranged weapons)

Pages: [1] 2