Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: grass, shrubs and trees rules  (Read 2592 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
grass, shrubs and trees rules
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:25:36 pm »

Ok, I'm trying to make a penthouse garden on top of an obsidian tower. If you build a construction on the natural obsidian and remove it, you get the base layer, which in this case is sandy clay soil. Grass is growing all over it, but not shrubs and trees. Does anyone know how I might get trees and shrubs growing on soil as well?

One thing I noticed is that it rains on the main level of the map, but way up on top of my tower I see no evidence of rain even when it's clearly raining near the ground level. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:31:56 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: grass, shrubs and trees rules
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »

Trees need unmined soil in the layer below. Shrubs might take a while to show up. How long has it been?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:25 pm »

Trees need unmined soil in the layer below. Shrubs might take a while to show up. How long has it been?

Long enough for the entire area to be covered with dry grass. Pretty darn long at least 5 years.

My latest forts:

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:36:12 pm »

Have you thought of pumping water up there and making the soil damp all around? it might speed up the process, or at least make your grass nicer >.>
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:26 pm »

Actually, I don't think they do need unmined soil. I have some trees that popped up at ground level over my temporary fort after I had cut them all down. I have some old rooms down there 1 z level below ground.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:41:11 pm »

Have you thought of pumping water up there and making the soil damp all around? it might speed up the process, or at least make your grass nicer >.>

Yeah, it makes muddy dry grass.  :D

My latest forts:

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »

Long enough for the entire area to be covered with dry grass. Pretty darn long at least 5 years.
Yeah, probably not gonna happen. What biome is it in? Or, maybe it's too high up?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:24 pm »

Yeah, probably not gonna happen. What biome is it in? Or, maybe it's too high up?

It's right on the coast, and it's waay up in the air, like 5 levels from the highest z. I have a test patch 1 z level above the ground but it's still too new.

My latest forts:

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:06 pm »

Actually, I don't think they do need unmined soil. I have some trees that popped up at ground level over my temporary fort after I had cut them all down. I have some old rooms down there 1 z level below ground.
The soil doesn't need to be directly below the tree, just within an certain number of tiles away, how many I don't know.

Technically, this is all heresay, I haven't tested it myself.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:41 am »

My observations suggest a soil wall is necessary within a radius of 2 tiles (on the Z-level below) for tree growth. In fact, they also suggest that a muddy floor within a radius of 2 tiles (on the same Z-level) is sufficient to allow a tower-cap to grow on dry soil, regardless of what's underneath it.

Incidentally, willow trees will only grow in locations where a murky pool/brook/river tile is present within a radius of 2 tiles (on the Z-level below). It's funny how these patterns emerge...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:32 am »

Yeah, it makes muddy dry grass.  :D

I meant in a ring AROUND the dirt level. Like a trough.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:41:37 am »

I meant in a ring AROUND the dirt level. Like a trough.

Ah, yes I actually have a river running through it, but I have it turned off now because the waterfall was knocking my engravers pets off the scaffolding around the tower. Nearly caused a spiral!

Maybe once I can get that going full time something will happen.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 11:03:51 am »

Wow, I just got an actual rainstorm, and now my grass is completely greened up. Still no shrubs.

However, even without trees and shrubs it looks great! The experiment is a limited success! I just have to make sure to extract my bmps after a rain.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:48:08 am by cephalo »

My latest forts:

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:05 pm »

Be sure to report your results in some relevant section of the wiki. Dwarven science is expanded by players like you!
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 05:51:48 pm »

please stop saying that, i've had plenty of trees grow with a rock layer beneath them
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: [1] 2 3