Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orphaned babies?  (Read 860 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orphaned babies?
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:31:15 pm »

So. Since my miner decided to go for a paddle in one of the magma resevoirs to collect a rock, her son has been hanging around in the meeting area, being trampled over by the fortress guard and whatever nobles are unnocupied.
Will he eventually just die of thirst, or will he just sit there until be becomes a child and fends for himself?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Orphaned babies?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:01 pm »

babies don't get hungry or thirsty (I think), and if s/he doesn't commit suicide, expect a street urchin raised in the harshness of the dwarvern streets.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:58:10 pm »

They do get hungy and thirsty, its just that since dwarves lug their kid everywhere and feed them immediately when they're hungry/thirsty, you probably never notice it. I had an orphan, and by orphan I mean one of my guards beat the mother to the point where she had to be dragged off to bed, and her baby was left behind for a long time. I dont think it survived.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:01:10 pm »

The status says it really wants a drink, but it's sitting on a food and booze stockpile.

EDIT:
Wrong baby. The orphaned one seems to fall under healthcare, and is for some reason sat outside.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:03:50 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:03:28 pm »

Your dwarves will give it food and water. At least that was my experience. Babies will not watch where they're going and fall down ditches and such, so survival will be difficult.
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:05:10 pm »

Well, that explains why it's OUTSIDE.

And yes, someone has just gone to feed the poor thing.
Still, at least it didn't turn into a disaster.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:49:36 pm »

i wonder how long til ur next siege

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:14:36 pm »

Urist McBaby has become enraged.

All hail Ledgendary Wrestler Urist McBaby

Urist McBaby has drowned.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »

i wonder how long til ur next siege

It's winter, so probably a month or so at most if they're bothering to come this year. But the baby crawled inside, through the traps, and into the stockpiles.
Babies don't set off traps, apparently.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:25:01 pm »

Babies are Friendly.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:49 pm »

friendly, until they sleep.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:33 pm »

friendly, until they sleep.

You cannot possibly prepare yourself for the unadulterated malice that is a sleeping baby.  Your ☼Adamantine spears☼ will snap like twigs upon it.

KG

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 04:41:15 am »

Urist Mcbaby has arbitrarily decided to go to sleep on the masterwork steel sawblade weapon trap!
Urist Mcbaby has been struck down, and struck all over the floor, and the walls, and the roof, and the dining room, and the bystanders, and the king, and the workshops...

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:21 am »

My bet is that now that you've predicted it'll die. It'll live on and kick some serious ass. If you want to ensure this (for epic win and stories of how he group up in the wilds, alone, and became a legendary wrestler) turn off invasions until it gets older.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 10:12:50 am »

Urist Mcbaby has arbitrarily decided to go to sleep on the masterwork steel sawblade weapon trap!
Urist Mcbaby has been struck down, and struck all over the floor, and the walls, and the roof, and the dining room, and the bystanders, and the king, and the workshops...

Unfortunately, in 40d, dwarves will explicitly never willingly go to sleep on a trap - they'll simply stand on it until they get drowsy, extremely drowsy, and then go insane. The only time a dwarf can trigger a trap is if he goes unconscious from an injury or from cave-in dust.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2