Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Timetravels- A 2D Succession/Community Fort (Year:7) Open Throne  (Read 22587 times)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Timetravels- A 2D Succession/Community Fort
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:05 pm »

So I'm guessing you also either forgot/didn't know about the 6x6 max size? Well just expand out the area by the river and we can do Nile style farming. It'll also be good for our towercap farm. Other then that every other comment I have is personal design type things. But yea, aren't cave ins fun?

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »

The floods shall be interesting.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 11:09:31 pm »

It was flooded when I struck the river, Rice surfed it all the way to the bend in the passage.

Edit: Oh, it's worth saying that I had room for all 43 plump helmet seeds in the tunnel. :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 11:56:29 pm »

11th Malachite (mid summer) 1051
We've all been very busy. It might be a rush to pack in enough food for the winter frost. We're presently planting plump helmets in the muddy water passage. We should be able to harvest them just before winter, which hopefully should support us. Oh, and we finished digging out the trade depot area- there were some rock crystals there, not that we have much need for jewels. Perhaps we can cut them for the traders, but I don't see it in our agenda.

Xanthius is still wounded, but he's going to live as long as the rest of us. I managed to get a few buckets in order- I'll probably set up a well sometime this winter. We're slowly acquiring creature comforts, even though we're still living in one of the only un-engraved dining rooms I've ever seen...

Right now, things are pretty quiet... mostly everyone is working on more furnishings (I've gone to work on some floodgates myself) and everyone's been assigned to till the 'fields'.

Edited: Image fixed, fixed incorrectly labeled season ever so confusing, it said 'late summer' close the end of malachite later, which confused me. But by 'mid summer' I mean month 5, like in modern DF, dammit!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:14:45 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 12:08:03 am »

28th Malachite (mid summer) 1051
Oh the joy! A metalsmith has arrived, with an anvil! Although his skillset is somewhat redundant to mine, his anvil will be much needed. But I've been so busy keeping stocks, I've not even asked him his name...

Unfortunately, everyone is too busy resting to capitalize on the gain. Soon enough though, I'll have a forge set up and we'll make some extra picks and axes... why are they sleeping now? Surely there could be a better time for that, we ought to make the trade area secure incase we're besieged by raccoons again- a fatality at this stage would be awful.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:13:47 am by Sensei »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 01:03:56 am »

Depending on the skill of the miner the river may or may not flood. Keep this in mind when you decide to breach the magma river. It can and will flood occasionally. However I fairly certain if you use a legendary miner it should not flood ever. I can't remember it ever flooding for me when I used a legendary, but I'm sure there should be enough novices that come in from the migrant waves to use as a sacrificial miner. On that note, is this gonna be a succession game? What would the turn list be like in that case?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 02:05:46 am »

23rd Galena (Late Summer) 1051
Even though we've just finished planting three quarters of the seeds, summer is almost over. In addition, we've sprouted our first few plump helmets. Rice, who is crazy, is smoothing floors, Ezkh is making crafts for the caravan and I'm building two bridges (one on the river, one as a makeshift door on the trade depot). Aside from the occasional extra barrel, everyone else is farming.

Our food stocks are making a rebound. Xanthius is lusting after blood, but I've ordered him not to go anywhere or he'll dump his all over the floor (hah, I said something violent and threatening! I feel so... alive!)

9th Limestone (Early Autumn) 1051
Xanthius is back on his feet again, thank Armok. We need every hand we can get, time has been flying. I've cautioned him to take it easy, not that he's likely to listen.

The forges are set up. There really isn't time to dig a space for ore storage, but there also isn't really time to dig it out. I expect to jump straight to steelworking, if we can meet the wood demand (which I don't think will be a problem).

A caravan has arrived! Wonderful, they're on their way. We'll see what we can do for trade...

Although it is a grim reminder of the coming winter frost, the supply caravan from Elikvesast is a welcome sight. As the merchants unload their goods at the depot, we notice with pride that their eyes are alight with the anticipation of inspecting the splendid products of our industrious crafting. I must take careful stock of our stores- what these dwarves offer may well be the difference between a prosperous future and a slow, meaningless death.

...well that's not very like me, what possessed me to write that?

Anyway, we got some meat, plump helmets, leather and cloth off them. By and large, things we wouldn't have had if we hadn't established the crafting shop earlier. Our food stores are looking too bad now that our hunter-gatherers and harvesters are all back on track. Unfortunately at this rate the metal work will have to wait.

OOC time: Why yes, it is gonna be a succession game. The player list is the order right now, from top to bottom (originally determined by the signup thread). So Ezkh is first at bat, if he's interested. With luck my term will be done this weekend.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 04:49:19 am »

Falk's been rather grumpy, after being caught outside in some crazy weather. He seems to complain bout everything, but... that's probably just because he likes complaining.

This is such a close fit for Falk its not funny. Complaining lots and even likes his Dwarven Rum!

EDIT: I'm going to download DF 2D and have some practice, looks like fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:54:49 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 11:49:29 am »

Xanthius is lusting after blood, but I've ordered him not to go anywhere or he'll dump his all over the floor

You even think about it I'll chop your head off.

*Looks at the personalities*

I'm the only hardened individual? Lulz.

I demand a moonstone crown be made!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 05:32:47 pm »

9th Sandstone (Mid Autumn) 1051
We might want to do some engravings once the harvest finishes. It'll be a while, but I did doodle this up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, the merchants have left. They say we should build a road, which is understandable- I've already put together a bridge over the river, in fact. I personally can't wait for the elves, when they come- the village near Heldbridge was renowned for its woodcrafting, and I simply adore elven log cabins!

Metalworking is going... slowly. Mostly people are too busy, all we've produced so far is one bar of steel and two left over bars of pig iron. I cannot for the life of me find where that Hematite vein was! I might switch over to bronzeworking. Or did we have it the first place? I'm so confused... we need a serious bookkeeping position, but I'm too darn busy.

16th Sandstone (Mid Autumn) 1051
We had a deer run amok, inside the fortress. That threw everything off, which is bad, since our drink supplies are low. Xanthius handled it. I've also got the bridge at the trade depot connected to a lever in the dining room- that should help us if we're besieged again.

I've decided it's time for another evaluation:
I've been working out a good bit. For all that though, I wish so much furniture hadn't been destroyed in the cavein. And I'm aching to put my metalworking skills to good use!

Ezkh says she's getting quite acquainted with farming. She also mentioned the furnishings. I'm ordering some more tables and chairs made right now.

Rice seems to be doing well for all the work lately. She's already grown hardier than most of warriors at Heldbridge. She also mentioned she quite likes Falk's brew (I ordered her to remind him of that as often as possible, for all of our sake). The only thing that bothered me was a fondness of cats... I don't know about the Golden Age, but from our homeland, they are considered foul demons, and thank Armok they are extinct. I saw an engraving once, they're scary! I wonder if they really have horns?

Xanthius is becoming faster and sneakier. Not a problem, as long he doesn't try anything funny. Like everyone else though, he seems to be doing quite well. He's even taken to sleeping outside, he likes hunting so much. Maybe it's just because his bed is all bloody and starting to smell.

Falk has been doing a good job of complaining, and he insists that we need to grow sweet pods and brew rum if we're 'expecting to drink any real dwarven brew!' He seems a little less happy than everyone else, but I'm sure he's fine. He'll also not stop talking about what a good brewer he is, but at least most of it is true.

Eshtan and Melbil mostly seem shy- but if they ever want to step up, then they can. Melbil for one is becoming quite the mechanic. [OOC: These guys are up for grabs! And yeah, you can change their names.]

Images spoilered for readability.

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 02:40:57 am »

OOC time: Why yes, it is gonna be a succession game. The player list is the order right now, from top to bottom (originally determined by the signup thread). So Ezkh is first at bat, if he's interested. With luck my term will be done this weekend.

Hell yea im interested. I too thinked to practise first 2D df, but then i though: "Hey what a heck, surprise is half of fun :D", so when its my turn, it will be first time playing 2D ^^

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:00 am »

Hmm... I was going to post a link to the 2D wiki but it seems to be gone... Probably a good thing as you'll end up having a lot more fun this way.  ;D

The current wiki lists only some differences.

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 10:19:08 am »

Are you still taking requests for dwarfs?

If so, and I will use the old format;
Name: Rando
Preferred Gender (no guarantees): Male
Profession (TRY to have a mixed swath of professions among you): Hammerdwarf when needed, otherwise a metalsmith of some kind. Secretly makes soap when he thinks no one is looking.
Other info/profile (optional): N/A, do with this as you will.

EDIT: If the metalsmith isn't taken, can I have them? I don't mind the gender.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:46:32 am by Randomonioum »
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 07:40:03 pm »

Sure. He is male- if you get confused by the gender symbols, note that it says 'he'. Both of the open characters (well, now the one open character) are.

8th Timber (Late Autumn) 1051
Ezkh has convinced Rice to join his smoothing regime- which is okay, because I've convinced them to smooth the floors that lead to the trade depot. Since a bridge over the river is already built, constructing the roads out for merchants should be a cinch.

Melbil (the dwarf who arrived with the anvil) has earned himself the nickname of 'Rando', after talking about what might happen in a goblin siege. Completely random, right? Everyone knows the goblins are big leather exporters and hunters, but not warmongers. He's been quite a lot more social now, which is good. On the other hand, I've begun to notice he doesn't smell quite... right. Whatever- after we make some charcoal (I realized I was making ash by mistake... he showed me that apparently it isn't as simple as just putting wood in. At least I don't profess myself to be a furnace operator) then he ought to smell like a dwarf. And bronze picks! I can't wait!

I'll also make a note of our food stores- probably not enough for winter at this point. I think. We'll have to do more hunting.

Just as I was about to turn in for the day, a bunch of migrants showed up! Although they'll free up me and Rando for metalworking, food is now certainly going to be an issue. There's five of them, all told- a mason, a carpenter, a jeweler (we have dug out some jems), a farmer and fisher. I'll have to wait on psycheval, I'm ordering a few of them to start getting us food! And build a fishery!

...scratch that, I counted wrong. We now have fifteen dwarves... It's going to be crowded.

19th Timber (Late Autumn) 1051
Chaos! I wish I'd laid out the fort in a cleaner way. As it is, there's not time to reorganize. The fisher is to work fishing, and Xanthius is to work hunting- but someone forgot to butcher the meat he brought in.

As you can see, we've also started putting together bedrooms for the newly arrived dwarves. The fishery is built, and we've almost finished digging out space for a jewelers workshop.

Our fisherdwarf reports bad news. Oh well, at least I know who our first volunteer is for the next job we don't want to do...

Oh, and Xanthius killed the werewolf. I don't know when, but I found its corpse out gathering plants. I've happily chalked it up in our books- although apparently it's old news to everyone but me. It WOULD explain why Falk has been branding his wine barrels with a picture of a werewolf's blood severed head, though. I need to hang out more.

2nd Moonstome (Early winter) 1051
The frost is terribly bitter. There's definitely a recession in the animal herds- off to warmer climes, probably. The butchery still stinks, it appears that the problem is leftovers, not unbutchered food. I've put a refuse stockpile outside (which I should have done earlier).

I've been escaping the frost and the smell by pounding away with Rando over the forge. The people who are dumping garbage outside don't like it though, we've been hit by quite a few snow storms.

Lastly, we've made our first set of bronze picks today! Now we'll be able to mine faster. Next I may turn to making some tools of war- but before that I must rest.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:42:57 pm by Sensei »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 12:20:28 am »

10th Opal (Mid-Winter) 1051
I'm sure I was planning to dig out SOMETHING... but now that I've spent all of my energy for months on making bronze picks, and finally have them (plus the related infrastructure) I can't seem to decide what. So I figured I'd prepare for next year early and dig out a big ol' farm space, right by the river. Should be great for the next flood. Maybe next I'll go to work on the other side of the river, but seeing as I can't un-dig passages I'm really fretting over where to do it. For a similar reason I'm having trouble deciding where to put a channel for the well (I have everything I need to build it. Just right now I'm staring at the blasted cave, just thinking...

OH ARMOK!

Yeah. I had to fetch the special ink for that one.

A werewolf got in, and it killed a dwarf. It was Lokum Lokumoram. One of the guys that came in the migrant party. I had him out cutting wood for the smelter. I've decided to dig a grave.

Even though it's over, I can't stop thinking about it... fortunately everyone grabbed their tools and smashed the abomination at once. I wish we had got there sooner.

18th Opal (Mid Winter) 1051
Well, it's not all bad news. We're back to digging- digging a well area, digging a stockpile for trade goods, and I've finished digging Lokum's grave. May he rest. I'm burying him right now- It's driving me crazy, he's just lying there, with his head torn off, in the main hall. That never happened back at Heldbridge.
Crazy
Crazy
Armok forgive me...

I've made sure his resting place is nice, though. It's all going to be smoothed- our dining room isn't even smoothed out yet. In fact, I think I've gone far too long without seeing an engraving of cheese. I'm ordering some engravings.

25th Opal (Mid Winter)
We killed another werewolf. When I saw that Rice hadn't returned from his duty, I feared the worse. But he killed  it, yes, he killed it. Tore'd the werewolf limb from limb, yes he did. I went to see the blood, it's good.

27th Opal (Mid Winter)
This is the fort... I've dug a grave. And a moat. No, not a moat. That's a channel, yes. Going to put in a well. I've wanted to do that for a while, hobby of mine, wells. And I've built... I've built statues, yes! Statues of the killing, at the doors, where the blood still is!

Oh... but you can't see the channel. It's not done yet, it's got to be a long channel.

28th Opal (Mid Winter)
I may be losing my composure. Falk smacked me up the head a few times, saying I was spouting nonsense, blasphemy about Armok. Falk never lies. He's sooner hike himself off to the forbidden zone... let me see my map...
----------------
By the love of carp! Another werewolf! I'm ordering everyone inside! And locking the doors! I only ran away...
Forgive me...

29th Opal (Mid Winter)
BY GOD IT'S A TOMB IN HERE!
Someone forgot to bury Lokum. We forgot to bury him. Some, some CRIMINAL buried his dog in the new coffin in the new tomb and left him to rot in the entrance, and he's gone and rotted... I can't bear it, why are we here...

I cannot let that unholy rock remain in Lokum's tomb! I've ordered them to... I don't know, do whatever they do with a full coffin we don't need.

SONE DROWNED DIGGING THE CHANNEL HE DROWNED! WHY!
WHY CANT WE BURY THEM!

1st Obsidian (Late Winter) 1051
We've got some engravings done, but they just aren't... detailed, like the ones at Heldbridge. Nobody thought to put a lot of work into it.

Also, I smell something by the water. Maybe Sone didn't drown digging the channel- maybe something... pulled him in the water by the river? Unfortunately it's gone away now, I can't pinpoint the spot... but now I REALLY want to stay away from the river, another reason to build a well...

This place is out to get me... It doesn't want us... the mountain is angry...

14th Obsidian (Late Winter) 1051

Meanwhile, I've ordered a psycheval for all the leadership. Armok knows I need it...

I know how I'm doing. Blah. I'm starting to know how Falk feels all the time- who are these rookies to say what's going on in my head! I still can't get the stink of Lokum's... ugh, I can't get anything off my mind.

Rice... I don't know what she's complaining about. Food and water... I should say though, she's getting good at engraving. Which is to be expected, she's becoming sort of obsessed with it...

Ezkh likes the dining room even more than Rice does, and she dug/smoothed most of it. We're all critical of our own work, I suppose.

Xanthius keeps sleeping on the ground, but he's bloody cheery. Maybe I need to spend more time killing thins myself. Also, he's getting so sneaky it's starting to scare me- He moves like an Elf assassin, while holding a blasted axe!

Rando is doing okay, and he's becoming good at understanding that blasted furnace. He also mentioned he likes a crossbows- a good suggestion, I think.

Falk has been doing okay, he doesn't even have much to complain about. Of course, he chewed my ear off about noise from the metalworking keeping him up at night, but I think that's more because he didn't have any other complaints than because it was a big problem.

17th Obsidian (Late Winter) 1051
Winter's almost over. I think I'm coming to my senses. This is what it's like to be a dwarf.

Our food and booze stores are doing fine. I can't wait for the spring harvest! Now, that thought got me thinking about farm plots, which got me thinking about floods.

FLOODS. A FLOOD IS COMING.

I've got to build floodgates, pronto! And mechanisms! And everything!

24th Obsidian (Late Winter) 1051
Winter is almost over... I think I've had enough... enough of the blood. It... I'm not me around blood. I'll just stick to keeping books and turning over bronze.

Speaking of blood, we had a novice hunter wounded. His head and chest had gashes, and his right hand was broken. Not sure what did it, but I've just got to make sure the fools under me take better care of him than they did old Lokum...

26th Obsidian (Late Winter) 1051
Before I turn in -I've decided I'm going to do that now- I've laid out plans for a road. This is what it should look like when it's done. Like I said, I'm hoping to attract elven merchants- the ones near Heldbridge were master woodcrafters, sure they can trade with us. I just hope they don't try to make off with any of our timber.

1st Granite, 1052! Early Spring!
The well is done! Stop complaining you lousy bastards! And Falk, stop complaing about my complaining about your complaining! I've got yer armok-cursed, fish-ridden water!

I've gone through the fortress taking tallies of our dwarves and supplies- I ordered everyone to check in with me before they went outside to see the fresh, warm weather. That didn't really work, so I said I'd force them out if they didn't report. That worked.

there's 13 of us, and 3 dead. Well, two- Sone, and Lokum. And that hell-born mutt.

I'm going to leave the credentials to Ezkh, he can run the bloody thing now. I'm going to sniff a flower.

Upload will be posted tomorrow, I really do need to hit the sack.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:14:58 pm by Sensei »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14