Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Timetravels- A 2D Succession/Community Fort (Year:7) Open Throne  (Read 22566 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Switched to DF 0.21.104.21b, because it doesn't crash when I play in windowed or tab out. Also, I can unfortunately not change anyone's name. The names are changed now, just couldn't do that in the Embark screen.

RULES
1: Turns begin and end on the first of spring. At this point, the current host will upload the save for the next host in the list.
2: The current host is obligated to operate community fort actions, such as naming dwarves. Further actions ('My dwarf goes in the military') are to be performed at the host's discretion.
3: I will update the list with those playing and indicate who is currently playing or has finished their year.
4: The host has one week (leniently) to complete their turn. If they do not do so, control will pass to the next on the list at the latest save.
5: Updates with pictures are appreciated, some sort of summary at the end of the year is the bare minimum. You are not required to roleplay, but it is encouraged.

any years into Dwarven history and
 study, things once held for Fact in The Ageless Realms have become nearly unrecognizable. The elves have given up their ways of cannibalism, and they are at peace with the other races. The Goblins, under the Urist-Nokgol treaty, are settling into peace as well. But the Golden Age of the Dwarves, the 2nd Millenium, is missed. All the adamantium in the known world has been safely extracted, the demons sealed into canisters of that foul and great metal, then shot to Mars, where they can harm no-one. The air is populated not only with birds, but with dirigibles and propeller-craft. But most importantly, the world's magma pipes, Blood of the Empire, grow cool. Often there is barely enough to supply the forges, or some have become dark chasms, dark and cool to the touch. A single magma pocket can net as much as 20,000,000☼ in finder's fees. Warm and Scorching biomes are receding in favor of colder ones, and ice caps encroach northwards in southern climes. The Ageless Realms are not as unchanging as was preached in Armok's temples nearly eight thousand years ago.
      In the year 9001, the empire's Pitchblende deposits are depleted, and refined. Amidst fanfare in the Great Mountainhomes of Heldbridge, a great machine is prepared. A machine, it is said, that would transport those inside it though the fabric of time itself- a Time Wagon. A team of seven dwarves will be sent to the year 3247, when Medtob Rovodashok first predicted Magma Cooling Events. They are:

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

After the Time Wagon disappeared in a cloud of blue mist, the bold dwarven explorers emerged. They were supposed to be in a city- but looking around, there was nothing. The hills and mountains were where they should be, but not a dwarf aside from themselves was to be found. The party disembarks the D.T.W. Leopardsabre.
Later that night, a look at the stars confirmed- they were in the wrong time. The dwarf they were supposed to meet wasn't going to be born for more than two thousand years. It was the 'golden age' of new prospectors- and they had to survive on their own, in a world where Armok's rules are different.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:32:19 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Timetravels- A 2D Succession/Community Fort
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »

DF 0.21.104.21b download link?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:29:58 pm »

Link placed in OP.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:28:09 pm »

I'll take a dorf! Sone, the mighty whatever is needed.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:44:47 am »

Is the magma cooling thing something from DF lore I don't know or is it just plot stuff XD
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:48:11 pm »

Just story stuff. I wanted to make an urgent problem that wouldn't affect the actual fortress gameplay in any way, shape or form. Also the dwarven parody of GL0B@L 'W@RM1NG!!!!!!!!111'.

Update tonight, most likely. If not, Friday.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:09 pm »

7th Granite, 1051 (early spring)
It was like a drill. I've ordered a tunnel dug for shelter, and those who could cut down trees or gathered plants. We should be sleeping in private bedrooms within a few days. Rice was the first working on the tunnel. Another dwarf, who introduced himself as Sone, has gone to help him. Nobody wants to point it out, but Sone was probably faster...

It appears there's a lot of deer, as well. This being a supposedly 'terrifying land of darkness' on our maps, I'm almost shocked they aren't undead or something. But no, just good, normal deer.

Although there were plenty of plants to go around, it was a pity we didn't have a good hunter, since the mea-
"WHAT DID YOU SAY?"
Nothing, just
"SHADDUP! IMMA GET ME MAH AXE, AND IMMA KILL ME A DEER!"

Uhh. Yes. It appears one Mr. Xanthius has 'killed himself a deer', and is presently dragging it back to the wagon by its detached spine.

We had better build a kitchen before that thing starts to smell.

Also of note, we've struck a copper vein where we're digging out the living quarters, and I'm quite beside myself as to what to do. It may in fact, be time to construct a lot of workshops.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 01:44:58 am »

18th Granite (Early Spring)
Since we don't seem to be near anything more dangerous than deer, we had better start trying to handle food. I guess the best I can do is dig around in the mountain for dirt, since we don't have any aboveground seeds. I want to make sure I lay it out right the first time, though. So I'm going to see about stockpile space, bunking, workshop areas... ideally whilst making something difficult to assault as well.

Falk has set up a brewery, and I've put together a carpenter's shop. He doesn't seem happy about it, but I've ordered him only to brew a little wine, for now... we don't want to run out of plump helmets.

In addition, I've ordered a lot of digging done. It'll be busy, with the carpentry going on at the same time, but what else are we supposed to do? I regret not bringing my beloved TACTICUS miniatures. Although I doubt most of these grunts would know how to play such a sophisticated game. In such fashion I offer an illustration, rather than explanation, of my plans.

Xanthius has been getting sneaky lately, too. Or trying. He did succeed in making off with some fresh brew before I could note it in our stocks...

12th Slate (Mid Spring)
Rice has been smoothing everything. I think there could be more productive uses of our time, but whatever...

Ezkh, or would-be cook (no butchery and no kitchen) came back to my "office" alarmed after collecting wood. He says he saw a werewolf- crazy talk, I'm sure. There weren't any werewolves at Heldbridge, nor in all of my grand crusades (I myself killed as many as three vile slugmen in travels). But maybe the map wasn't joking when it said 'here thar be monsters'. I wonder if Titanic Bronze Hydragons are real too?

The digging has been going swimmingly, but it's taking a lot longer than I'd like. I may have to scale it back somewhat.

We've had our first assault on the fortress today. I'm told the past had foul foes- the party was set upon by fierce creatures such as I have never seen before! I know this was called the golden ages, but why? It's madness! I managed to convince Rice and some others to take chase -bless their souls should they not return- although I must admit in this journal that I lack the courage to take up blade like the dwarves of old.

In the battle, the thieving creatures made away with a lot of our cattle meat. I must move the stockpiles inside and erect doors, posthaste. The bloody battle eventually ended when Xanthius, who was a natural military leader, decided to nap by a tree.

I... I think I might be sick. I don't know if I've seen so much blood in one place in my life! Truly the ancient dwarves were fearless...

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:13:02 am »

Oh man, I feel sorry for that guy. He's going to go through a lot more than this...

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:54:31 am »

Werewolves... hahaha that's gonna be A LOT of fun!

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:42 pm »

I am amused.

And busy stealing drinks when you're not looking.

Let's see the thoughts of all our dwarves.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »

15th Slate (Mid spring) 1051?

I took the time to do a short psychological evaluation today. Everyone's too darn tired to work regardless.

I, for one, have been doing all right. Although I want a dining room!

Rice is also doing okay.

Xanthius seems in decent spirits. He says he particularly enjoyed pulverizing the critters... I'm not sure about that, but I'll count it as a blessing for now.

Sone's okay, although i'm starting to see a pattern of living quarters complaints- I'll have to finish the bunks soon.

Falk's been rather grumpy, after being caught outside in some crazy weather. He seems to complain bout everything, but... that's probably just because he likes complaining.

Ezkh is 'fine, sir'.

Eshtan seems like the shy type, I only just got his name. He seems to be much like everything else, although he mentioned some strange food preferences...

I've also taken care to see that our stocks are doing well. We have ten servings of meat and plants. That's not a big problem, we can always gather from the dense jungle around us. However, we're out of drinks- I'll have to make some barrels.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:04:14 pm »

1st Felsite (Late Spring) 1051?
I forgot to mention earlier. I've decided that we're at about year 1050. Probably 1051, since it's spring, and the indicators pointed to late 1050. That's based on weighing the negligible (just dust) amount of Uranium still in the Time Wagon (which I'll probably take apart as soon as we get a stockpile going).

We've been very busy. We're mostly out of plants, but we've got our booze. I for one prefer the booze. I've also ordered a probationary tunnel, which Rice is busy digging as I write this. With any luck, we'll find somewhere we can set up a 'shroom farm.

I've also ordered a stop (for now) on the dining room area, since digging it out was taking too long and we're desperate for furniture. It'll just have to be a goofy cavern for a while. I haven't stopped work on the kitchen however, I love the design. Once it's done, we should be covered for a while.

After we have our furniture I'll got to work on metal refining, we need more picks- and possibly weapons. Xanthius says he was chasing the werewolf for a while, but he didn't catch it.f

Everyone's been rather grumpy lately, but I don't think anyone is about to snap. The bedrooms are helping.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »

For the love of all that is good get to the river quickly! Setting up the underground tree farm is extremely important, not to mention the need to wait for the seasonal floods. It's not gonna be happening till summer now and at the rate of digging I'm afraid you won't have the farms up till Autumn. Remember you CANNOT farm during the winter.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 08:05:22 pm »

8th Hematite (Early Summer) 1051
We've been diggin'! I am for once happy with the competence of my dwarves- we've got some decent living quarters, and, for now, everything we need to survive. That's on a hunter-gatherer basis, of course. Rice insists that we find water and start farming, so we're digging a probational tunnel deep into the mountain. In pinch, we might also build a channel and pump water into a farm, but that would mean making it nearer to the mountain face than I'd like. We also heard some funny noises coming from the new stockpile room- Eshtan threw a support in and it seems to be fine now, though.

10th Hematite (Early Summer) 1051
We don't have an anvil. Damn. I'm building a crafts workshop, in the place I dug out for a forge- we're going to have to buy one. I'm not sure if we need a road for traders or what, though. They can probably carry an anvil through on their own. Morale is up, with the new rooms though. Almost everyone's commented on the fresh drinks, which has brought what may have been the first smile on Falk's face in years. It's like a reverse tantrum spiral (I've never actually seen one, but... if raccoons are real, those might be too).

20th Hematite (Early Summer) 1051
Disastrous! Xanthius has been wounded. This is not good- we're down to plant gathering for food, and we have... 1 serving of meat and three of berries. Rice was right, we should have made a farm sooner. I'm putting all our mining talent on doing so.

21st Hematite (Early Summer) 1051
Rice found his water. Time for a farm.

Unfortunately, after our little river incident, everyone refuses to mine indoors, so we're building our trade depot area. It also might be a problem to give Xanthius water, he keeps leaving now that we've built our buckets, and heading back to his bed before he gets to the river. I've ordered him to cool it for a while.

26th Hematite (Early Summer) 1051
ARMOK BE CURSED!

This feeble mountain could not stand the awesomeness of our dining hall! The rock has given way!

Luckily the damage was very minimal- we had a horse wounded, a few tables and chairs damaged, nothing more. I must remember to be more careful, however. In the meantime, we're making a farm-ish thing in the passage Rice dug. Hopefully it, along with plant gathering, will sustain us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14