Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will a Recruit with a lopped off hand ever get out of bed again?  (Read 1711 times)

Barrel Roll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He got his hand chopped off in some kind of wrestling lock or something, apparently. He is in a bed in my barracks. Will he ever become useful or can I send him to the hospital beds/death chambers?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Will a Recruit with a lopped off hand ever get out of bed again?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:02:21 am »

He got his hand chopped off in some kind of wrestling lock or something, apparently. He is in a bed in my barracks. Will he ever become useful or can I send him to the hospital beds/death chambers?
Wrestling?!

Anyways, he should become fine someday. But it can take quite a few years...
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:18:50 am »

Is his hand red, or dark-grey?
If it is red, it is mangled, not chopped off.
Otherwise, the hand will not grow back, and I don't know if that will allow the dwarf to ever work again.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22:09 am »

Unless your dwarves have [SEVERSONBREAK] that shouldn't have happened the way I read it.

Also: martinuzz is right.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:38:40 am »

I'm not sure about amputee dwarves. I've read anecdotes where they try to work and are carried back to bed immediately, but other evidence suggests they might be able to increase toughness (if they ever get out of bed and work), though they will definitely never spar again.

Oh and make sure to unequip axes from drafted woodworkers. Makes for unpleasant sparring when unarmoured.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:21:10 am »

Hmmm. I know that spine and head injuries keep a dwarf from sparring, but would a missing limb really do the same thing to a soldier?

Assuming that they ever get over it. But the problem with that would be that they keep resting because they're injured, but the limb isn't coming back so they never get better. At that point the only thing you could do was take them off military and hope a mood hits them. Then MAYBE they get enough stats to take the pain and stay out of bed. That or they fall unconscious again and get taken back to bed.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:23:00 am »

If they were sufficiently hardcore before said amputation, then probably. So they'll only be rescued if they're unconscious?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:06:17 am »

I'm not sure Vester. I remember a description of a bug where a guy with amputated leg began to do his work but a dwarf with health care turned on went over to him and put him to bed, causing the endless loop of amputee going out of bed to do a choir, all well and that, but a health care dwarf went to fetch him and put him to bed.

But then, I don't know about the full consequences of amputees and how they rest. I've never had one. That's what I get for having a 20x5 hallway of weapon traps for the entrance.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:36:49 am »

He might work again.
A long time ago in a fortress far far away, a sword dwarf lost his left arm.
He took 3 years to recover but retained his sword and lived. A champion of Lancedmurder.
Art is a Blast

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:11:25 am »

Or he might give you lulz.

An average dwarf, crippled for life, hauls himself out of bed. Divine inspiration has struck him and he can-no, he MUST complete this, his life's greatest achievement. He drags his broken body down the hallway from his private quarters, ignoring the pain as best he can but blacking out with every painful yard, and promptly dies instantly as he crosses a stonefall trap and passes out on top of it.

See my sig.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 03:54:22 pm »

Could a stuck-in cause the wrestler-amputation thing?

Dwarf A has a blade stuck in him, not wounded enough for bedrest.
Dwarf B spars with Dwarf A, eventually he grabs the stuck-in and removes it.
Before Dwarf B can drop the axe he accidently lops of Dwarf A's hand.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:39:57 pm »

I have heard of a situation where an (armless?) Dwarf was holding a crossbow with his upper leg... and still firing...  ???

Anyone else remember what I'm talking about?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:36 pm »

A dwarf firing from his hip or knee is from a discussion on how to make champions drop artifacts. They simply don't drop them. They find a way to use it.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »

As far as I know they won't actually work. I've never seen anyone with a missing hand or arm start working again. They constantly suffer from phantom limb pain and stay in bed. No matter how tough they are. You can change the raws to make hands and feet [SMALL] and thus be able to work again.

It's possible that they can work without changing anything, but I've had Superdwarvenly Tough Champions remain in bed for years before.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 06:19:30 pm »

Limbs lopped off prevent everything. Even something like a lopped off Middle Finger.
Pages: [1] 2