Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detecting GCS  (Read 1727 times)

dragonflare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Detecting GCS
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:56:20 am »

I'm currently trying to find an undead GCS, but I've been having trouble finding them. Is there any easy way of finding them a map? Reveal doesn't actually reveal them, so I can't see if they are undead or not.

Also, if I have a map with a GCS, is it possible to regen the world, maybe with slightly different good-evil settings, and get it undead?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:57:52 am by dragonflare »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Detecting GCS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:24:19 am »

I think there are no undead variants of GCS. I'm playing on a map with only terrifying biomes. All animals, chasm creatures and magma creatures are undead on this map. The 3 GCS on it, though, are not undead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:36:49 am »

huh? There are undead variants of GCS, I've heard people mention them. You probably have to embark on evil mountains though.

As for detecting GCS and their webs, I'm wondering about this as well. Although I mean normal GCS, not undead ones.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:55:40 am »

While reveal won't tell you where they are, Dwarf Companion can - just expand the list to include all creatures, then right-click on it and choose "zoom". Incidentally, this will also tell you whether it's living or undead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:00:01 am »

huh? There are undead variants of GCS, I've heard people mention them. You probably have to embark on evil mountains though.

As for detecting GCS and their webs, I'm wondering about this as well. Although I mean normal GCS, not undead ones.
Detecting a normal GCS is easy - breach a chasm or bottomless pit (or cheat and use reveal), and search each z-level of those for webs. Most of the time it'll just be cave spider webs, but on occasion it'll be giant cave spider webs. If you find those, you've then got to reveal the damn spider itself, by sending some bait in. This could be a puppy or kitten dropped down to that z-level, and if it survives the fall then it'll bundle its way into the spider web or the GCS will attack it by itself. Alternatively, dig down and breach the chasm/pit at that z-level and send in an expendable peasant to do the puppy/kitten's job :)

Zombie GCS are also apparently rather easy to find. They're still hidden but they release a visible cloud of miasma, which gives them away just a wee bit :D

As for skeletal GCS, I'd hazard a guess that it's luck of the draw, and short of using Dwarf Companion (if that works as Quietust says. I wouldn't know as I've never used it) I don't think there's any way of knowing if you've got a normal one or a skeletal one; I've only ever seen a single picture of one and have never personally come across one (or a zombie GCS, for that matter) - they exist, but they appear to be exceptionally rare.

Can't find the piccy of a skeletal GCS, but here's one of a zombie :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Pheonix-IV/ZombieGCS.jpg
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:09:15 am »

Detecting a normal GCS is easy - breach a chasm or bottomless pit (or cheat and use reveal), and search each z-level of those for webs. Most of the time it'll just be cave spider webs, but on occasion it'll be giant cave spider webs. If you find those, you've then got to reveal the damn spider itself, by sending some bait in.

That doesn't actually work - the small clusters of GCS silk webs are not on the same Z-level as the spider itself, but merely replace the small clusters of normal cave spider silk webs that get generated during embark. In my current fort, I had GCS silk webs spawn on several levels, and the GCS itself was on a completely different floor.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:06 am »

I've tried pitting critters down the pits to try and have them hit the web, but that doesn't seem to work. Not sure why.

Also, in one game a fortress or two ago, a GCS somehow revealed itself without any of my pets or dwarves anywhere close. I had simply got the Ambush! Drive them out! message and there the spider appeared. To me, it seemed to have spontaneously revealed itself. Although in that same game, two ratmen strangely had red injuries (not from me, it was before I set a marksdwarf on them) and I have no clue where they are from. So it's possible a caravan passing the pit (it was open at the surface) had a few guards shoot at them, no idea.

Just because you see GCS webbing on the stocks screen and the small clusters, doesn't mean that there is a GCS present. I've had plenty of pits with bits of GCS webbing but never found any GCS or web, even when I checked all levels.

As for using reveal, you don't need to use it as they show up on the stocks screen.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:27:24 am by smjjames »

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:35:35 am »

Magma detects them both quietly and efficently.

though it does put a dampener on long term silk gathering prospects.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:23:49 am »

I don't know whether its the fact that falling critters are effectively invisible until they hit an obstacle is the reason why that method doesn't seem to work. I also tried using falling rocks, but those are more likely to punch through the web.

So, is there a working method of using falling objects/critters that will detect the webs? because that is what I really want to know about.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:33:47 pm »

MASS MINING!