Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What are you most proud of recently?  (Read 6167 times)

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
Re: What are you most proud of recently?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 08:25:34 am »

catching species of animals to use in my arena, iv got lots of lions and tigers, just training my soldiers rn to go into battle at the assighned date of arena combat. having a prison execution pretty soon also.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 08:45:34 am »

My main fortress is nearing a barony, which is a huge achievement for me. I got the DM (who, in spite of all the awesome things I've heard, kind of sucks. He shows up with metalcrafting and furnace operator as his only metalworking skills, and fairly low ones at that. Oh well), and I just recently crashed after my first megabeast attack. The save is still good though, though I'll probably disable rent before the economy kicks in. I don't worry about jobs, I have plenty of work for my haulers to do smelting the 5 uncovered veins of magnetite, producing coke and steel, or hauling in an endless sea of orc and goblin gear.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 10:50:10 am »

Quinnr: build a trade depot, then go look at it and hit D. Follow the green out from your depot until it turns red; that's where the obstructions are that prevent wagons from passing.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:50:48 am »

My entire map is "Not wagon accesable"...do I need roads?

It is not accessible from the depot. Find your depot, press "D", and there should be a little bit of green area around it. Set your Woodcutters to work cutting trees and your masons to smooth out boulders in order to make it accessible. If you are on an island than it is not accessible.

EDIT: Derakon beat me to it. He explains it better.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:52:19 am by Canadark »
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:39 am »

Just in case the previous two posters were not clear enough (which they probably were) the "D" command shows navigability of each tile to your trade depot, not the ability of wagons to travel on the red-marked tiles. If, for example, you build your depot in this arrangement:

#######
#______#
#______
#______
#______
#______#
#######

(The #s are walls, and the _s are the Depot)

and a tree grows at this location

#######
#______#
#______
#______X
#______
#______#
#######

The entire map will be red, because it is impossible for a wagon to reach your depot from any point, even if the tree by the depot is the only one on the map. Keep in mind that wagons need a passage at least 3 tiles wide.

On topic, I finally managed to get a water wheel working
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:29 pm »

I think I understand.  He just built it next to a crazy high cliff.  I'm just so used to building on top of said cliff.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 03:30:31 pm »

Decided my above-ground fort needed an above-ground magma forge:

• Spent a few years building a completely above-ground reservoir almost twice the size of the magma pipe.  Damn but it was a nightmare micromanaging the walls.
  • Was halfway through when I realized I needed to punch through an aquifer to pump magma up from the ground.  Spent a year or so pumping out, walling up, and widening the hole through the aquifer.
  • Built an entire set of glass pumps and constructed an isolated pump stack into the side of the reservoir.  Reached the top (walls and all) and forgot it needed power.
  • Wasted a year designing and implementing a windmill power system; scrapped it.  Wasted another year designing and building a perpetual motion device; scrapped it.  Spent a third year building an aquifer-based power plant and a power delivery system.
  • I think it will only take me one more year to simultaneously divert my current magma channel to the new fort, build an extension of the fort for the magma workshops, and complete the piping into the workshop.

I'm proud that I've made it this far with this cursed fort, as this is just a side project.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 06:14:39 pm »

My elven genocide project, in which I'm going to decorate a cinnabar quern with every single toxic metal I can, and exchange for their entire caravan one year.
And then wait for them to die.
Wait, does that actually WORK?! I mean, If YOU used it, would it poison your food supply?

No, but I like to pretend it does.

I'm proud of retrieving a pair of artifact steel greaves from the magma moat. Someone fell in a year or so ago, so I had to obsidian it up to retrieve them.
Never fucking again am I making a magma moat. Water is SO much easier to cope with, and doesen't set fire to or melt stuff when you screw up.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 06:25:04 pm »

I'm pretty proud of my freshwater supply system I just activated. It supplies the fortress with freshwater and also keeps all the pumps and other power-consuming things running (including the system itself!). I even think the dwarves can fish in it, should they want to.

It's supplied by a major river, and is basically a rerouting of it, using water pressure and screw pumps. It can almost handle the flow of the major river, but not quite, it drains at the edge of the map a bit faster than the pumps can supply water.

Check here for the map (most of the system itself is one z-level down)
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 10:30:11 pm »

I was real proud of locating an aquifer and pinpointing its location without flooding anything.

Then I noticed that the recent FPS drop was caused it actually leaking into and (because it took me so long to notice) ultimately dooming the lowest 3 z-levels of my mines.

Oh well. I got most of the good ore out of there already anyhow...if by "good ore" you mean fucktons of copper and the odd hematite vein.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 11:09:52 pm »

Never fucking again am I making a magma moat. Water is SO much easier to cope with, and doesen't set fire to or melt stuff when you screw up.
Sharpen your axes lads, we got us an elven infiltrator.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 11:21:41 pm »

MAGMA IS LIFE! If ya want to avoid the problems of people falling in, make a single retracting bridge across it, then put a wall on either side, and build it ALL the way across so they support each other. Makes it impossible to fall in, but you CAN drop people.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 2 [3]