Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are you most proud of recently?  (Read 6168 times)

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are you most proud of recently?
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:51 pm »

In my new aboveground fort I was able to dam the river that went  right under the fort blocking all traffic to the other half (freezing map, melts in spring/summer). Also was able to put in windows for my dwarf hotel(I've NEVER been able to start up a decent glass industry before). What are you proud of doing in your current/other forts?
EDIT: Forgot to mention this fort is made entirely out of obsidian.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:13:22 am by Zruku »

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you most proud of recently?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:14:27 am »

Manifold1 has been ecstatic lately. He is proud of finally getting a fort to it's fourth year recently.

Couldnt resist, the way you worded that.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:17:15 am »

built an entire fortress only using 4 stones, and with no digging.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:19:14 am »

Used a lot of wood I assume?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:40 am »

In a couple of seasons, I'll have a non-HFS king.  I have his requirements, just waiting for him to show up.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:38:18 am »

I've almost paved half of my map in puke
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:04:03 am »

I had a fire imp with only a head, torso, left arm and broken tail (the rest was bitten off by puppies) live for 4 years.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:41 am »

Lawec has been quite content lately. He has avoided flooding the entire fort in magma recently. He has been nauseated by the sun lately.

Basically, first fort with a magma industry :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:45:39 pm »

I manned up and killed my first noble recently!  :D

Stupid Tax Collector likes... adamantine. And I embarked on a map without HFS. He had to go before one of my legendary armor/weaponsmiths got killed. Poor Lolor has been in the clapper far too many times.

So I built a platform extending onto a murky pond...
Code: [Select]
~~~~,,
~~LI,,
~~~~,,
The I is a support holding up a floor. The L is a lever.
The plan was, and will be if I do it again, for the noble to pull the lever, destroying the support. The floor falls down, and crashes through the floor the support was under.
This severs the floor the lever was on, causing the noble to fall into the pool and drown.
Of course, I had to savescum to get it right, since the support was built on a floor built on top of a staircase, which was not destroyed by the collapse. Ironically, I put it there to protect AGAINST people drowning if they fall in. So the Taxman was knocked into the water by the cave-in, but had time to wake up and get out.
So I drafted a mason, stationed her near the platform, and when the noble pulled the lever, paused the game and undrafted her and ordered a floor built over the staircase. Worked liked a charm.

Same fortress, I also came up with the idea of giving everybody compulsory military service. Everybody gets exceptional+ steel armor and a base-quality silver hammer or mace. They spar until they're Skilled, then I deactivate them - but first, I turn on Hunting so they keep their equipment. (The only animals left on the map are a magma man and the occasional squad of rhesus macaques every year or so.)
The first squad of 12 legendaries is well on its way.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:31 pm »

Just finished mining out my third of 54 z-levels on a 6x6 fortress.  It's slow going but this megaproject must be done for the good of all dwarfkind.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 01:03:20 pm »

placing my fortress so it is perfectly situated between a magma pipe and river. By perfectly, I mean I can have magma based furnaces and such before I have the fuel based ones. Also, striking it almost by accident, and then placing my food supplies JUST outside of the spawning and wandering range of the fire snakes. I call this a win.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »

Just finished mining out my third of 54 z-levels on a 6x6 fortress.  It's slow going but this megaproject must be done for the good of all dwarfkind.

Haha, awesome. My next fort is going to involve hollowing out a gigantic cavern in which my city will reside. Looking forward to it.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:46:42 pm »

My olivine walkway and archery tower.

My magma moat, with obsidian safety wall on the fort side, soon to be expanded to it's fifth span.

My sky-piercing tower, and the associated paving of the sky.

My elven genocide project, in which I'm going to decorate a cinnabar quern with every single toxic metal I can, and exchange for their entire caravan one year.
And then wait for them to die.

The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:55 pm »

My constructed volcano.... whenever I can kick my lazy ass masons into work...
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Danneh

• Bay Watcher
  • Witty Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:06:15 pm »

Haha, awesome. My next fort is going to involve hollowing out a gigantic cavern in which my city will reside. Looking forward to it.

I'm doing this now. Hollowing out 8 or so z-levels, one at a time on a 4x4 embark. gonna have glass windows looking out into it from the path to the trade depot. In the middle of the cavern is going to be a huge lake. Shit will be so cash.

On a related note (and on topic), I'm really proud of all of my miners recently. It must be hard work chiseling away at stone all day with a half broken pick while being underground next to a magma pipe. At least they get their *Dwarven Wine roasts* and Dwarven wine to look forward too.
Quote from:  Forumgoer
Out-of-Context Quote
Pages: [1] 2 3