Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting Loyalty cascades  (Read 9935 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Starting Loyalty cascades
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:45:39 pm »

Now we all know what these things are, and approximately how they start, but we still can't get them to happen consistantly. I say we figure out how to start one on command, for great success.

Once thing that I found that tends to cause it more often is attacking a human civilization that exists near another human civ. Destroy one civ and then wait for the refugees to wander into the other civ. Enter the other civ and you'll have certain people attacking you while others do not. This will set off a mini civil war.

Right now I have a fishery worker and archer team slaughtering people en masse. The fishery worker snaps their knees while the archer finishes them from a distance. Its gotten rather brutal.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:13:38 pm by piecewise »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Loyalty cascades
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:34:46 pm »

Right now I have a fishery worker and archer team slaughtering people en masse. The fishery worker snaps their knees while the archer finishes them from a distance. Its gotten rather brutal.
We totally need a picture of that.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »

We totally need a picture of that.
none of those corpses are my fault

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:58 pm »

I'm fairly certain that loyalty cascades start when you attack someone in your own civ.
I remember reading that if you do that, you become the civ's enemy, as normal, but then when someone from the civ attacks you, they also become the civ's enemy, because you are still a member of the civ.  Then someone sees this new enemy, and attacks them, becoming another enemy of the civ in the process, and so on.  I think I read that somewhere on this forum.

EDIT
I just tried this, sadly, it doesn't seem to work. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:00:11 am by phi2dao »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:13:37 am »

I'm fairly certain that loyalty cascades start when you attack someone in your own civ.
I remember reading that if you do that, you become the civ's enemy, as normal, but then when someone from the civ attacks you, they also become the civ's enemy, because you are still a member of the civ.  Then someone sees this new enemy, and attacks them, becoming another enemy of the civ in the process, and so on.  I think I read that somewhere on this forum.

EDIT
I just tried this, sadly, it doesn't seem to work. 
I know, and thats the problem, this only SOMETIMES works. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it either always work, or even to just start civil wars or something.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:06:14 am »

I still think archers are key.  The only time I saw anything like this was when an enemy arrow went rogue and struck a farmer instead.  It only caused a mini-brawl, but get enough archers in there, and chaos is inevitable.

For real fun:  Make a society of fireball-spitting creatures that aren't fire immune.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:08:09 am »

I still think archers are key.  The only time I saw anything like this was when an enemy arrow went rogue and struck a farmer instead.  It only caused a mini-brawl, but get enough archers in there, and chaos is inevitable.

For real fun:  Make a society of fireball-spitting creatures that aren't fire immune.
I don't think fired or thrown projectiles effect people unless they're already your enemies. I've been shot by archers while completely surrounded by peasants.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 05:06:40 am »

I don't think fired or thrown projectiles effect people unless they're already your enemies. I've been shot by archers while completely surrounded by peasants.

This is truth. You can't sneak attack a civ that is still friendly to you with ranged attacks unless you've made close range physical contact first.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:07:33 pm »

This is truth. You can't sneak attack a civ that is still friendly to you with ranged attacks unless you've made close range physical contact first.

This is why it's so important to sneak in at night and kill people while they're sleeping, so that you can gain hostile status with minimal risk to yourself.  Then you can throw the carcass out of bed and sleep there til morning, at which time you can finally begin sniping.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »

Try shooting them with stolen ammunition?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:35 am »

I attacked a Guard in the temple of a Dark Fortress inhabited by goblin-aligned dwarves and humans. I expected the Priests to all rush me, but instead they seemed to go berserk and started fighting each other, which spread through the rest of the fortress. I was left on the roof of the temple with brain damage, before finally a human wandered up and broke my neck.

Could it be that since I had joined the religion, when I attacked the Guard it made the Priests go hostile to the non-priests?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 12:09:41 pm »

No no no, it goes like this.
Steal weapon from shop.
Get weapon stuck in person.
Lose possession of said weapon.
Person is now considered the thief of that weapon, and outlawed.
Now others start attacking him, and loyalty cascade begins.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 11:11:53 pm »

No no no, it goes like this.
Steal weapon from shop.
Get weapon stuck in person.
Lose possession of said weapon.
Person is now considered the thief of that weapon, and outlawed.
Now others start attacking him, and loyalty cascade begins.
God thats hilarious.

I'll try it.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 11:30:28 pm »

*Stabs shopkeeper with their own arrow*
*Shopkeeper pulls out arrow*
Urist McGuard: OI! THIEF!
Shopkeeper has been struck down
Urist McBlackKnight:OI! MURDERER!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:08 am »

I entered a dark fortress. I went to the temple, and a dwarf randomly shot bolts at me. FOR NO REASON AT ALL. I run up the temple to punch him, and the nearby priest gets pissy at me. Then the priest hits me, the dwarf starts shooting at the priest, I die and then they kill each other. It was awesome.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: [1] 2