Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod/Raw suggestion -- text description  (Read 468 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod/Raw suggestion -- text description
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

Right now, looking at something just tells us "this is an x."  I'd like to see more detail.  Given that most of the critter description is in the RAWs, and that many of us make our own, I'd like a [DESCRIPTION] tag added to allow us to describe things, much as we can name the critters and their offspring.

I'm not sure how much work it would be to point the (v) description command to this instead of its current placeholding string, but I doubt it would be much.

Depending on how much outside input Toady wants, he could hold a contest with the best accounts getting into the game.

A more complex version would have different levels of description.  The normal description is available from the start.  A move detailed / expanded definition appears when a relevant noble shows up.  (ex. [DESCRIPTION_FER] would say how the critter behaves and what butchering it gets you.)

Rylen

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Mod/Raw suggestion -- text description
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »

That would be a nice use for the animal noble. Being able to see some info on a common creature you just encountered. Such as aggressive/passive/carnivore/etc.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »

Something like this is going in when I do Bloat176 and add external variable features for the creatures (like beard descriptions or eye color), but it's going to have to be more complicated, since it'll link in to meaningful quantities (eye color might matter for some things, beard length might matter for things like wrestling).  There will probably be short descriptions to start it off, but those might also be subject to some variability depending on the world map situation.  I'll have to think about how I want to formalize it when I get there.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Something like this is going in when I do Bloat176 and add external variable features for the creatures (like beard descriptions or eye color), but it's going to have to be more complicated, since it'll link in to meaningful quantities (eye color might matter for some things, beard length might matter for things like wrestling).  There will probably be short descriptions to start it off, but those might also be subject to some variability depending on the world map situation.  I'll have to think about how I want to formalize it when I get there.</STRONG>

So semi-dynamic creation of each description?  Different for each instance of a critter?  Is that level of detail important for a herd of deer?  (It certainly is for my dwarves, human trade partners, and attacking dragons.)

Rylen

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rylen:
<STRONG>Different for each instance of a critter?  Is that level of detail important for a herd of deer?</STRONG>

It is to the deer.