Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Capturing fiery clowns?  (Read 2052 times)

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing fiery clowns?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 06:42:33 am »

Actually, fiery clowns burn at 25000 dwarf temperature, while the melting point of adamantine is 50000.
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:00 am »

Orly? I could have sworn they melted raw adamantine.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 07:59:42 am »

Adamantine boils at 50000 and melts at 25000, though it has an insanely high specific heat, so a ‼clown‼ would probably have to stand on top of adamantine for the better part of a year to ever melt it.

Also, cave-in dust was tested here and was shown to be entirely ineffective. Hell, the OP was even fully aware of that test when he suggested using webs, so there's no point in even considering cave-ins as a means of capturing them - the only thing a cave-in can do to a ‼clown‼ is crush it outright - cave-ins are currently capable of instantly destroying any creature directly underneath them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:42 am »

Fire clowns aren't captureable in any way.  They have NOPAIN and NOSTUN.  That means you cannot render them unconscious or stun them which would overwrite the TRAPAVOID tag.  Water Clowns, Multi-leg Clowns and the Ring Leader Clowns don't have those tags so you can capture them with a cave-in.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 11:26:32 am »

Fire clowns aren't captureable in any way.  They have NOPAIN and NOSTUN.  That means you cannot render them unconscious or stun them which would overwrite the TRAPAVOID tag.  Water Clowns, Multi-leg Clowns and the Ring Leader Clowns don't have those tags so you can capture them with a cave-in.

...But again, neither of those tags are [WEBIMMUNE]

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:20 pm »

Is there honestly any reason to try and spoiler HFS or talk around it?  Everybody that reads the forums knows what it is by this point.

Heck, the funhouse-references have obfuscated HFS so much that I'm not even sure what they are any more, and I'd known HFS for a while.  Is it just an obscure way of referencing them or is this the result of a mod?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 05:05:00 pm »

It's an obscure way of referencing them. It was presumably also intended to be amusing.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 05:22:48 pm »

Yeah. Because everybody is scared of clowns.  And so we are scared of ‼clowns‼
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »

This is *frumple* talk for the *sad animals*.  But you are *happy campers*!  It is *alliance party* for a time.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:16 pm »

Can we get back on topic? I find the original question interesting.

However... dwarves dont actually have (TRAPAVOID) per se, do they? Thus the web thingie might just be a faulty deduction, no?

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 07:27:41 pm »

The reasoning is thus:

A: Friendly dwarves do not trigger traps.
B: Unconscious dwarves do trigger traps.

Conclusion 1: Unconscious state overrides trap avoidance.

Given A + B leads to conclusion 1, examine A + C.

C: Webbed dwarves do trigger traps.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 07:43:48 pm »

Is there honestly any reason to try and spoiler HFS or talk around it?  Everybody that reads the forums knows what it is by this point.

Heck, the funhouse-references have obfuscated HFS so much that I'm not even sure what they are any more, and I'd known HFS for a while.  Is it just an obscure way of referencing them or is this the result of a mod?
Well, you two and the regulars might, but new people and lurkers might not.  Seriously, let them find out for themselves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2]