Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Capturing fiery clowns?  (Read 2058 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Capturing fiery clowns?
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:43:56 pm »

I just had an idea.. But I need you guys to help me test it, because I have no fiery clowns available.
Most clowns can be caged by knocking them unconscious over a cage trap, by means of a cave-in.
However, the fiery clowns are immune to stunning, and cannot be caught this way.

Now, in my recent fortress, I have to release dwarves from cages every now and then. They get caught in a cage trap, because there is a GCS web over it.

When checking the fiery clowns' raws, I didn't see any [WEBIMMUNE] on them.
So my theory is, it should be possible to catch the fiery clowns by creating a room with webbed over cagetraps. Be sure to use fireproof cages (I think)

One thing I don't know is, if the webs will burn before the clown steps on them. If so, dropping them on the webbed cage-trap from above might work.

Please someone, test this for me? How awesome would a caged fiery clown be.

EDIT: on a side note, I think webbed cage trap corridors might be an excellent solution for caging those blasted trap immune humans (or modded goblins etc.)
Hehe.. I'm going to piss off the humans now to get them to siege. I want my own pet human army.

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED
'Urist, release the humans'
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:56:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Capturing fiery clowns?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:05:10 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't THINK you can... do webs burn if exposed to fire? Otherwise, yeah... it might just be possible. If ridiculously hard to implement (more because how often will you get webs and demons in the same place). Further, don't dwarves auto-gather webs? making it even more unlikely?

Unless... WAIT! TAMED GIANT SPIDER! put it behind fortifcations, and cage traps all around it! It'll web the Fiery Clowns (and maybe even the Fiery Ringmaster) so they fall into the traps!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:14 pm »

Unless... WAIT! TAMED GIANT SPIDER! put it behind fortifcations, and cage traps all around it! It'll web the Fiery Clowns (and maybe even the Fiery Ringmaster) so they fall into the traps!

Yes.. That was what I was thinking. However, I'd web the traps and recapture the GCS, or it will probably get roasted. It's quite easy to use a captured GCS to web any corridor / room you like, using fortifications, doors that are open, but not pet-passable and bait animals.
I usually don't bother taming the GCS. Just use cage and lever to release in the right spot, and cage trap to recapture.

Also, auto-gather webs can be turned off via the options >> Workshop options menu
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:12:21 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:12:13 am »

Does the nostun tag override the effects of (not having) webimmune?  It might be an idea to try it with less burny creatures first to rule out the possibility.  Even then the heat will probably burn the webs off the traps, unless you can make GCS produce HFS metal webs.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:06:51 am »

Fiery clowns can be stunned by cave ins currently (something I hope Toady doesn't remove, seeing as it's actually one of the more difficult ways to defeat them), I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

I would suggest using a chain and pit system to cover an entire trap hallway with GCS silk to capture the clowns. You must do this... FOR SCIENCE!

Edit: Currently, silk is fireproof, so the clowns won't burn their way through it. A corridor with bauxite cage traps and iron/steel/nickel/nickel silver cages and gcs silk just might allow you to mass capture the fiery clowns.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:08:26 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 09:21:47 am »

Fiery clowns  :D That's a new one on me.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:41:26 am »

What is fiery clown? Wiki don't have anything on them. Maybe some modded stuff like "Dig Deeper"?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:49:46 am »

What is fiery clown? Wiki don't have anything on them. Maybe some modded stuff like "Dig Deeper"?

SoF Don't look it up unless you want to ruin your experience. It's less Funtm.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:11 am »

The terms "clown" and "funhouse" were coined a while ago as a way to refer to Hidden Fun Stuff without having to put spoiler tags everywhere.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:44 pm »

Of course, the term HFS worked just as well.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:48:46 pm »

Yes, but they allow going into more detail than simply saying "HFS".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 01:44:14 am »

Fiery clowns can be stunned by cave ins currently

Are you sure? I remember reading that, although the slimy, and the corrupt clowns can be knocked out by cave-ins, this does not work for the fiery and über clowns...

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 01:56:59 am »

Is there honestly any reason to try and spoiler HFS or talk around it?  Everybody that reads the forums knows what it is by this point.

It took me a while to figure out what a fiery clown was.  I've never cracked HFS myself because I haven't found a site with it and other features I'm looking for.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 03:02:37 am »

Hmmm, I think using cave-ins is a better way of doing this, as you can make them cause the fiery clown to fall into your cages whilst unconcious.

I think the cage traps would melt if they get close too slowly.

Though this is probably an awesome way to capture corrupt clowns. Bloody shame I dont have a GCS on my current map, dispite having both a bottomless pit and a chasm.

Maybe ill give my cats the webber tag...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 04:23:20 am »

I'm pretty sure that A: The webs would burn and B: Firey clown's temperatures are higher than the melting point of Raw Adamantine, so it's impossible to get them onto a cage trap and not have them melt the mechanisms.
Pages: [1] 2