Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plug for a free space FPS HL2MOD. Eternal Silence.  (Read 4136 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Plug for a free space FPS HL2MOD. Eternal Silence.
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:53:02 pm »

Ok, I told myself I would do this today.  But I hate being a topic starter(just check my forum stats).

Anyway there is a HL2 mod on steam called Eternal Silence. (http://www.eternal-silence.net/)
Anybody play Star Wars Battlefront 2?  Remember the space battles? It's like that.
Anybody play Freespace?  Space combat is like that, except you can strafe or cut your engines to turn your ship while flying straight.

Anywho it is an awesome game.  It looks quite good, and has huge maps, larger than you can usually make in hammer.  It's also free.  Of course it's a mod so you'll need (EDIT:a source game) to play.

The only problem with the game at the moment is a small playerbase.  Currently there's only enough players playing at any one time to fill one server at a time.  There isn't much greifing yet fortunately.  So there isn't much worry about that, and it is rather hard to effectively greif in the system anyway. 

If you have a joystick plug it in.  It will significantly improve yer control, there are tutorial videos on youtube as well which can be helpful for learning to play.  You will usually find somebody ingame as well that would be willing to answer any questions they can help with.  If your looking for me I go by [DFC]Alpha One in ES.

Linkies:
Tutorials: Pro's doing what they do and recording it.  Might be good to play the game a little bit first to have a general Idea what they are talking about.  But you should watch these fairly early to learn some tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGBplCdZWY Tutorial by the old extinct Skull clan. Mr Waffles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQ5ilrG2LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zy_xmiHyU Another 2 Tutorials by Mattman also Skull

Gameplay:  The gameplay videos mostly show the space flights in 3rd person view.  Default is 1st person and I prefer it that way, but just know that you can set which view ya want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXO9ullzHgs Showing off different ships and some space combat as he attacks corvettes.  Doesn't show much actual dogfighting though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpKHZat5sdQ A good video that shows dogfighting and ground combat, he replaced all sounds with his own music though.

Any Comments? Criticism? Praise? General Disinterest?

EDIT: Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:03:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plug for a free space FPS HL2MOD. Eternal Silence.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:59:58 pm »

I had this a while ago. It was great fun. There was even a GameArena server, so I got good ping and unmetered downloads while on it.

And its not just HL2, its any source game. L4D, TF2, HL2, Portal...

Maybe I should download this again, if people will be playing.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:19:27 pm »

I used to play a bit. I could only ever find one server that gave a decent ping and that reliably had a few people a day, though.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »

I played it once, no one was on, so I never played again.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:01 pm »

Was mucking around with this ages ago.  I had some experience with Newtonian flight since I'd played Freelancer, so I could pull off a few interesting maneuvers when flying a ship.

But infantry combat?  Never got the hang of it.  I always seemed to be plugging away at someone for ages and then some dude would shoot the guy next to me and I'd die.  As such, I tended to try and stay in space as much as possible.

Haven't played the latest version though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:03:52 pm »

Thanks for the games guys, sorry I left suddenly.  My keyboard stopped responding and I had to reboot.

@Mephisto and Dr. Johbson: Yea thats the primary problem with it.  There at least seems to be enough people playing to have at a small game playing at all times now though.  Recently the lowest playercount I saw was 3.  And that was something like midnight on a Sunday.

And in all honesty that's why I decided to post about it. ;)   But more folks already knew about it than I thought.

It did end up working out though.  Me and Nilocy got together for some 1 on 1 on an empty server,  But then people started dripping in and after about half an hour we had at least 10 people playing.  A few of them Bay 12ers.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Jesster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:11:27 pm »

I played it once, no one was on, so I never played again.

Pretty much sums up my experience with any Halflife(2)/Quake/Unreal Tournament mod that looked even slightly interesting.  :P
Looks neat though.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

I enjoyed it. At least there was a challenge to try and overcome: My teams abosolute noobyness when it came to space fighting.

I tried to rally a small squadron together, but failed in that they all died before i could start bombing the corvettes...

Although that last game we played, when there was some proper infantry combat was quite entertaining... especially since i remembered how to set up the mobile turret things.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:26 am »

Hmm... I gotta try this out.

I have some experience at flying. Made 3rd Level Ace according to X-Wing Alliance last time I seriously played (then again, I was still relearning back then; I should make top Ace (any level) no problem this time around; if I play it again.). Hopefully my experience can adapt well into this. And taking advantage of zero-G to do a cutback 180? That's my kind of maneuver.

Nothing like being chased down, and just snapping backwards and blasting the crap out of your pursuer, and then turning back around and continuing your flight.

I'm fairly certain my experience at Descent ought to help as well.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 06:53:23 pm »

Space Combat's pretty fun, once you get inside though it's pretty mediocre.

Also, I had fun once with one of those guys who tries to use real life tactics in a video game.  Cue him shouting "COVER ME" and running out into the open.

Here is a diagram of the area.

Code: [Select]
____|H____
____|M____

The bad guy is *, I am M, he is H.

The line in the middle is a divider going down the middle of the corridor, and reaching the ceiling.  He got mad at me for not covering him.  Apparently I was supposed to shoot through the wall.
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:03 pm »

Yea the infantry combat is pretty generic on things like the Capture Point maps where the entire game takes place on the ground.  At least on the other modes you have crazyness like an enemy gunship parked in yer hanger shooting everything that moves or random fighters flying in and out.

I really don't see why so many players like the Capture Point maps.  I mean the space combat is the game's real hook.  Why want to play a mode that basically just turns it into a clone of every other team FPS out there?  Oh well, each their own I guess.  And it's not like it's horrible or anything, I just prefer the space combat.  (Maybe because I'm much better in space than on the ground)

Oh yes and some random tips.
You can steel a dead opponents backpack to get all their weapons.  That includes a hackpack if your enemy was a hacker.  If your trying to capture a point as a marine and you killed a hacker enemy that tried to stop you, you can quickly steal their gear to get their hackpac, use it to cap the point by yourself, then pick your gun back up again.

If you ever get a good organized team together it can be a good idea when defending to have a few teammembers spawn at the back points.  When defending I often do that myself when intercepting gunships becomes impractical.  In the big firefights in the hanger it is often possible for a single hacker to sneak around the front line and go for the back point.  If you have a few people spawning back there there's a chance that they will intercept the hacker, on their way to the front or at least see him and holler out where he's heading.  In alot of maps a hacker can fully take and secure a point before a force can make it to the point from the hanger area if uncontested.

When in attack phase it is a good idea to have a single competent fighter pilot staying outside.  His job is to shoot down nukes and stop any "Ninja Bombing" attempts.  Even if the enemy team didn't launch any bombers the fighter still kept all the nukes down, which will significantly reduce the amount of damage your ship takes during the phase.  Nukes inflict almost half of all the damage a capship takes, which can add up in a long drawn out fight.  If your team takes and has a good hold on the weapons subsystem the fighter can come in to help out, but he should ideally be outside the entire time the weapons subsystem is up.

Using full gunships in strike phase is usually a bad idea.  They can indeed inflict a sizable chunk of damage when they reach the enemy ships.  But a single good fighter pilot can take down even a full gunship by themselves.  And your probably lucky if you get only a single good fighter pilot on you with the big "kill me please" sign gunships get pasted on them.  3 bombers with a gunner in each inflicts much more damage, and often the enemy team will focus on them one at a time, giving lots of time to inflict damage.  Any unusually good fighter pilots also can't be in 3 places at once, and 3 bombers take longer to kill than a single gunship, especially if they all take opposite routes.  Gunships in strike phase should really be used just to resupply allied fighters with weapons and speed up their shield regen.  Maybe a couple gunners.  But remember for every gunner in the gunship there is one less fighter or bomber doing damage.

A gunship can be reasonably used offensively when the enemy is close to losing their final corvette however.  The gunship is capable of finishing off the corvette and getting in the hanger practically in the same thought.  And having a gunship in the enemy hanger while most of the enemy team is still in space can be devastating.  But make sure you have more than just the gunners covering you because when your in transit, they'll still have their entire team in tacticals, which can eat the gunship alive if things go badly. It's generally more of a gambit move that a surefire thing. Used when the only hope of victory is a fast ship takeover.  If your stuck in a gunship in space during defend phase hit ~ and type in kill.  It will get you back to your hangar.  A gunship in space on defence only hurts the team.

tl;dr=
You can steal enemy hackpacs and weapons
Have a couple folks spawning from back spawns when defending just in case
Full Gunships in strike phase = bad
Full gunships when strike phase is about to turn into attack phase = not so bad when done right.
Full gunships when strike phase is about to turn into defend phase = very very bad. hit ~ and type "kill"

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »

I always enjoyed the infantry combat. My favourite weapon has to be the secondary fire for the hackers, a placeable turret. You just deploy it and sit back and rack up the kills. It takes a fair amount to knock them over if there beside walls.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:46:40 am »

Is there a way to play this without purchasing HL2? Can I download the demo and play mods or something? Or are they run through the game itself?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 03:11:26 am »

Is there a way to play this without purchasing HL2? Can I download the demo and play mods or something? Or are they run through the game itself?

No.
The Engine.
You need the Engine.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 06:18:59 am »

if ye got steam, launch it and check the "tools" tab (should be the rightmost). Check whether or not you can download "Source SDK Base".

if you can, you can play Eternal Silence.

oh and.. I tried the game, but as much as I loved the idea behind it... I cant really stand the game. Dont know why.
I guess when I want space combat I rather play Allegiance. When I want ground combat, well, there are tons of games to choose from.
Pages: [1] 2